1,021.81 Flywheel H/P, 817.45 RWHP, Video & Post # 9040 - Page 693 - IMBOC
 177Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #10381 of 10405 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcard View Post
Terry, I know what you mean, and letting some guys who may well be unaware of the consequents of highly moded cars was nice on your part. I told you the story of my full race 51 Ford. un drivable. And the stock car my buddy & I worked on all week and then tow it to the track and the damn thing won't start. The big question is when do you stop. For some of us, never.
I think Paul from Or. has the right idea.Just buy it and drive it, Got to be the most sane owner among us. Way to go Paul
Hello Dale,

Well just maybe since I was willing to let guys know how things really do and can go with a Mustang like mine just maybe it might Help others with their decisions.

Paul as you say simply drives his Bullitt and that's it.

Then there are guys like me and others that want something no one else has and that's how we end up with what we do.

And if we are LUCKY IMHO (In-My-Honest-Opinion) we might just end up with a Reliable Mustang if we don't get Frustrated or Broke,

Later,
Terry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Something New Coming in April 2017 ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10382 of 10405 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:26 PM

And the "Beat goes on"!! The Mystery-Something new coming in April 2017.
WONDER WONDER WONDER. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

DHG # 01251-127,000+ miles -ACCEL COP's-LED 3rd Brake Light-Web Electric Sequential Turn Signals-Magnaflow Magnapack Catback Exhaust-Koni STR.T Struts and Shocks-Bullitt Center Caps from On in 60-JLT RAI DHG -Chin Spoiler -Mach 1 Grille Delete-FarmerDons Custom Mesh Grille Insert

USAF 70-74
post #10383 of 10405 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:05 PM
Quest for single digits

All that sucks Terry but I wouldn't say it IS the rule.

After reading everything that has gone one with your car I won't say that I haven't seen this happen before but once again that is not the rule so people shouldn't be discouraged from packing the power to their car. As you know, my car has been in excess of 1000 hp for quite some time now. I however did it with turbos. I've had 3 different blowers, at times compounded with Nitrous but when I decided to go mega power, all was taken out and turbos went in and here's why. Turbos are much more friendly to normal driving than blowers. Every day driving keeps boost in check unlike instant boost with PD blowers.

At the end of the day, I did my homework and more importantly was hands on throughout the build. That makes a huge difference too. I thought about documenting the build but nobody really cares about big builds around here these days so I didn't bother, but in hindsight maybe I should have. At least people could see that these builds and reliable CAN happen.

With multiple tunes and progressive boost controller I can dial my car back to 600rwhp and drive it all day long if I choose. 10 minutes to flick a switch and change boost controller and I'm back to 1200hp.

And, finally, as per standard practice, I have to include this disclaimer that I'm not throwing shots at you, your car, your mods or anything else. I'm simply saying that it IS possible to have a high horsepower car and be able to drive it without any issues.
TrueBlue02058 likes this.

Visit the New
and the New

WHEELS WAY UP

post #10384 of 10405 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerDon View Post
And the "Beat goes on"!! The Mystery-Something new coming in April 2017.
WONDER WONDER WONDER. Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Farmer Don,

Hey my Farmer INTERNET buddy it is just something I almost did last year and then actually let it ride to see if I was making the right decision.

I ask some other guys I know and they all agreed with me that I was making the right decision on changing.

So it has been done and now the waiting is almost over for a new beginning.

Terry

post #10385 of 10405 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylan1521 View Post
All that sucks Terry but I wouldn't say it IS the rule.

Paul I think this will work for me replying hopefully so it shows-up.

I totally agree with you 110% that it is definitely "Not" the Always-Rule for sure.

After reading everything that has gone one with your car I won't say that I haven't seen this happen before but once again that is not the rule so people shouldn't be discouraged from packing the power to their car. As you know, my car has been in excess of 1000 hp for quite some time now. I however did it with turbos. I've had 3 different blowers, at times compounded with Nitrous but when I decided to go mega power, all was taken out and turbos went in and here's why. Turbos are much more friendly to normal driving than blowers. Every day driving keeps boost in check unlike instant boost with PD blowers.

I hope no one took what I said in my post as me saying or even indicating for them not to do as they choose on their individual builds.
That was not my intent and if it came across like that maybe this will get things back on track as I meant them.
I was simply saying and showing what Can and sometimes does Happen on High Horsepower Mustangs like mine.
It was simply examples so people did not think I was simply talking through my butt and not actually telling it like it really was.

You have a very High Horsepower Mustang and in fact I think really you have had more than one over the years.

All I can say once again is for New People watch what you get into because most Performance-Shops In-My-Opinion are there for income.
So, that being the case they more than likely are not going to Warn anyone the slippery-slope that one can slide down on performance.

I did not post this because my post was already so long I did not want to add anymore length to it but I will post this now.
DBR Performance has already approached me on switching mine to [Twin-Turbos].

And for what it's worth it does seem a lot of guys are going that route these days with Big-Power-Builds.

And as you say one can easily Dial-Back the POWER !!!

At the end of the day, I did my homework and more importantly was hands on throughout the build. That makes a huge difference too. I thought about documenting the build but nobody really cares about big builds around here these days so I didn't bother, but in hindsight maybe I should have. At least people could see that these builds and reliable CAN happen.

You Paul have talent that Greatly Far Exceeds me for sure on this sort of thing.
Even though I have the time being retired I simply don't have or possess the necessary talent to do any of the Hands-On.
I applaud you that you can jump in and do your thing on your Builds.
Maybe back in the 60's when things were much-much more simple I could do some Hands-On but not these days.

And for it's worth you doing your Build and Posting on this INTERNET Site to a few of us would be a Fun informative read.
But, I also agree once again with you that for the most part the Greater-Majority of current www.IMBOC.com members could care less.

If you do decide at some point to Share your Build I would appreciate a PM or E-Mail letting me have the Link to it.
I happen to be someone that would actually like and appreciate seeing as well as reading what you have done.

With multiple tunes and progressive boost controller I can dial my car back to 600rwhp and drive it all day long if I choose. 10 minutes to flick a switch and change boost controller and I'm back to 1200hp.

You have IMHO (In-My-Honest-Opinion) the Very Best of both Worlds.
Total POWER when racing and Dial it back when simply driving and enjoy the Mustang.
Ain't gonna get no better than that !!!

And, finally, as per standard practice, I have to include this disclaimer that I'm not throwing shots at you, your car, your mods or anything else. I'm simply saying that it IS possible to have a high horsepower car and be able to drive it without any issues.

No "Disclaimer" even remotely called for from this end.
Not even necessary even though I'm confident there might still be some people that think the above comments might be necessary.
In my case they are totally not and as one car guy to another what you have posted to me is simply another car guy saying what he thinks and believes.

Thanks for checking in and sharing your thoughts as they are (All) Appreciated and I hope just maybe you will continue to in the Future.
Terry

post #10386 of 10405 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:22 PM

Terry,

That was an excellent post!
Some of the best advice I have read about modifying a car.
We have all read about the great attributes of your Bullitt so it was nice of you to also honestly point out the negatives which have occurred over time.

How much horsepower and torque to go for is really a decision based on how the car is going to be used and how much money one is willing to spend.

Obviously if one has the dollars and garage space of a Jay Leno the decision is quite different from the ones we mortals have to make. Also, it depends on whether one is building a race car or a mostly daily driver.

I'm going to give a little history about what I did with my Bullitt and why I made those decisions: Keep in mind that the Bullitt was my only car and although I did race it a few times it was really just a street car.

When I did decide to modify the Bullitt for more power I had several concerns and decided to write down some objectives:

1. The car had to be very reliable as it was the only one I had.
2. The car had to be able to run perfectly on 91 octane so I could drive it anywhere.
3. I wanted more power but I also wanted to be able to use it, so traction on the street was a requirement.
4. It had to pass Federal and State emissions.
5. I did not want undue stress put on the engine, clutch, or other drive train components so that I could stay within budget.

After lengthy research and talks with Terry and Brenspeed plus my own "old guy's common sense" I opted for a supercharger with a very conservative dyno tune. For additional traction bigger wheels and tires plus rear lower control arms were added. Yes, I did some exhaust changes but that was really for the sound, not more power.

So, the install was a simple process, did not involve a lot of parts, and the costs were kept reasonable. Brent White did a very conservative tune and the results were (to the best of my memory) 436 RWHP and 409 RWTQ. That translates to about 501 HP at the engine and about 470 lbs-ft of torque, roughly the limit Terry discussed.

Those numbers are nothing to brag about if that were the objective. But the real world results on the street were what mattered to me. After the mods I put another 35 to 40K miles on the car. The stock clutch was still working fine. I never had any problems with the car and it passed emissions. I drove it from Pierceton, Indiana back to Texas and then from Texas to California and back with no worries. Nothing ever broke. The car ran as nicely as it had off the showroom floor.

Performance? Well, I thought it was fast, and it certainly was compared to stock. But, the best e.t. I got on the drag strip was only 13.4 seconds because traction off the line was not great on street tires and I'm not the world's best driver by far. Even with such a conservative approach the car could break loose the rear tires speed-shifting into third gear (as I found out at one of the Texas Shootouts.)

If I had gone for more power costs would have climbed a lot and reliability would have suffered most likely. I would have had to plan on a performance clutch, perhaps a stronger transmission and/or rear-end... That slippery slope could have gotten icy.

So, decide on what you really want, make a budget, and then add a few thousand dollars to it because surprises are possible, if not likely. The more power, the more parts will have to be changed. The more power, the less you will be able to use it on the street. The more you change the car the likelihood is the less reliable it will be.

Oh, forget about getting much, if any, of your money back when you sell the car.

If a powerful but reliable car with no worries about things going wrong is the objective these days one should also consider getting a stock car off the showroom floor. There are now many very fast and reliable cars out there right from the factory. One example is the Golf R.

For only $8000 more than we paid for the Bullitts 9 years ago you get a car as fast as or faster than a supercharged Bullitt, with four-wheel drive and a dual-clutch transmission. Brand new, under warranty. There are many examples out there.

Modding can be a lot of fun and with the right plan one can have the car one wants, but it also can lead to a lot of expense, driveability issues, and unwelcome surprises if one pushes things too far.

I hope my thoughts are taken as positive. I am not trying to discourage anyone from modding their car, simply trying to point out some things to consider particularly for those of you who have never done the mod thing before. I believe that was Terry's intent as well.

We have both seen over the decades some very successful builds, but also some very disappointed people who ended up unhappy with the results or out of money.

Thanks Terry for an honest and helpful post done in detail which pointed out the joy but also the risks of highly modified cars.

Cheers,
Tom
post #10387 of 10405 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Hello Tom C,

I read your post slowly so I did not miss any of the content.

Thanks for your added insight on owning High-Performance-Bullitt Mustangs.

I hope you are enjoying your New 2017 Golf R.

Cathy loves her's and is driving it frequently.

Terry

BTW,
I should be picking mine (Bullitt Mustang) back up from DBR Performance tomorrow (Monday).
Weather says 73-degrees and Sunny for daytime.

post #10388 of 10405 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Smile the Bullitt Mustang is back home once again guys ...

Hello,

Well today's weather called for mid 70's and Sunny.

So decided to go get the 08 Bullitt Mustang from DBR Performance.
It was outside in the sunshine waiting for me.
And Jon (Shop Foreman) like it or not got his picture taken. LOL !!!

Talked to Jon and he went over what he had done refurbishing the Carbon-Fiber driveshaft.
So it's back better than before because this time he made sure it was very well packed with grease for the bearings.
We discussed me dropping it back by next Spring and he could drop it down and give it a once over.
Then if it needed anything he would do his thing.

I decided to take some pictures of one of the DBR Employees that is one of the Main People at DBR Performance and the person that all customers 1st meet.
This young lady's name is Olivia and she is the Office Manager and like I said everyone that comes to DBR Performance gets to meet her 1st.
A super nice person with a (Million-Dollar-Smile) for all that enter the DBR Performance front door.

I figured it was only right to take some pictures of Jon and Olivia.

I drove around some as it was super nice outside and had the windows down.
Ran some local errands and then on the way back home stopped by the Brand-New Shell station that is off my exit.

Just pulled in the driveway turnaround.

It's now sharing space with Cathy's new 2017 Golf R.

Well guys I can say for all certainty the drive back was a fun one.
No noise from the ass-end at all.
I did punch it a few times and both rear tires are definitely pulling together !!!
So Jon did good on replacing the rear differential Carbon Clutches and as I said he added a 30 thousands shim for a little added pressure to the clutches.
It's all working perfect !!!

So unless some unforeseen thing happens I'm finally all set for driving it now for this year.
And guys that will be a good thing IMHO.

Terry

post #10389 of 10405 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:13 PM

PY-Like BullittHead

Great News Terry, Enjoy !
post #10390 of 10405 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:52 PM

PY-Like BullittHead

Terry, do you plan on taking the Tigermachine on any of the Mustang events this year? Maybe the National Mustang Day events at the Mustang Owner's Museum in Concord NC in April.
post #10391 of 10405 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue02058 View Post
Great News Terry, Enjoy !

Hi Fred,

Thanks and believe me I intend on doing that very thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDW - 852 View Post
Terry, do you plan on taking the Tigermachine on any of the Mustang events this year? Maybe the National Mustang Day events at the Mustang Owner's Museum in Concord NC in April.

Jack,

Well my man I might have made some Mustang events like the one you speak of but I have lost my traveling partner.

Bobby Price changed jobs and the one he has now he basically works like 6-days a week.

Now for him that's not really all bad as he does make some serious coins now.

But, that also means he is not available for traveling to Mustang events like he once was.

And to be 100% honest even if my Bullitt is now road worthy where I don't have to be concerned about it.

It's just not much /fun to me to drive out of State and back Home by yourself.

Bobby and I sure made many-many trips all over the place at one time together but that has now been back some years ago.

Terry
TrueBlue02058 likes this.

post #10392 of 10405 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:40 PM

Hi Terry,

Wonderful that you now have the car back and that all seems 100% okay.
Here's hoping you get to put tons of miles on it without issue.

Your garage is looking good: A VERY Bad-Ass Green Machine and a Quite Hot White Pearl Pocket-Rocket.
Life is good.

Cheers,
Tom
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #10393 of 10405 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Hi Terry,

Wonderful that you now have the car back and that all seems 100% okay.
Here's hoping you get to put tons of miles on it without issue.

Your garage is looking good: A VERY Bad-Ass Green Machine and a Quite Hot White Pearl Pocket-Rocket.
Life is good.

Cheers,
Tom

Hey Buddy,

I have nothing to add to your above comments.

Well stated !!!

Terry

post #10394 of 10405 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:18 PM

Monster BullittHead

Well, I bet you'll think of something to replace, add or modify before too long. Looks great. Congratulations

USAF 1966 - 70 Previous Owner of Bullitt # 5924 Presently Own: 2016 Mustang GT Premium
post #10395 of 10405 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrafast1 View Post
Well, I bet you'll think of something to replace, add or modify before too long. Looks great. Congratulations

Hi Don,

I bet you don't even remember when you did the thumbs-up for the Skype picture.
Well my long distance friend that was back in 2010 and here it is March of 2017 which is 7-yrs later.

Man oh man how things have changed on this internet site over the last 7-yrs.

In regards to mine Don it is done as far as I am concerned.
In fact it's past time for it to be done in my opinion.
Now this fellow is going to simply enjoy starting it up and driving it around.
Might take it up to KY and visit Family when the weather permits.

You know what Big-Guy it was really Fun and Exciting to do all the things to mine when all of us were here on this site together daily.
But as time went by a few members were gone.
Then more time as in yrs and more members were gone.
Some more yrs went by and the next thing you know there was hardly anyone left on this site to talk with.
And especially if you had a Bullitt like what my ended up being.
Just simply no longer anyone left that had any real interest in highly modified Bullitt Mustangs.
So my man it now has come down to me simply enjoying what I created all those 7-8 yrs.

Like yourself you decided to move on and now have the 2016 Premium Mustang below in the pictures.
A lot of people have done exactly that over the years.
You went so far with your Bullitt and then Stopped and you know what ???
In many ways that was actually probably a very smart decision !!!
Especially from a financial standpoint.

I hope you are enjoying your new Premium Mustang buddy and for what it's worth I miss you being on here along with the other guys now long since gone.

Terry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode