Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Retrofitting HID projector lens into OEM headlights Photos

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  tigerhonaker 
#1 ·
I put this thread in the 08-09 mod area as I am not sure about the '01 Bullitts. It is my understanding that what I'm doing to my 2011 is similar to how you would go about installing in the '08-09.

I pre heated the oven to 270F and put the headlight housing in for 20 minutes. Then remove and using a flat screwdriver, start at a corner and carefully start prying open. I go about 1/2 way and then it cooled too much and back in the oven for another 20 minutes and the job was done:

Once open, I looked at how the projectors were going to fit. There are several components to this: the projector lens with the solenoid to create HI and LOW beam (with bi-xenon, the light stays the same, but a shield is used to cut off the light to oncoming drivers until you hit the HI and the shield drops). Note the threads that will be used to secure the projector in the housing:

I tested these in my garage and the cut off is sharp but unbelievably bright!

Bulb (55W 4300K stock color):

Shroud to cover the housing (many to choose from):

Ballast to energize the bulb. Pay attention to the wiring on the photos:

This is the harness that splits the wiring such that the larger wire goes to the ballast and the thinner wire goes to actuate the solenoid:

A rough idea of the finished product. I will not attempt to install the covers until I first put them on the car and make sure the aim is correct. I suggest you buy used headlights as I did and work on them knowing if you screw it up you only have a few hundred into it and no harm to your orig parts. I'm still not sure if I am going to paint the old reflector area or not.

See less See more
#2 ·
:D Hmmmmmm. Very interesting thread. Keep it coming!

#3 ·
Bob,

Very-very interesting post for sure. :smile2:

I'll be following all your follow-up posting on this headlight conversion for sure.

What I want to know is ?????????????
Did your GT Mustang have HID headlights already ?

I ordered them on mine but Hate them so much as they are truly "Pitiful" in regards to light output !!!

Terry

#4 ·
Did your GT Mustang have HID headlights already ?

I ordered them on mine but Hate them so much as they are truly "Pitiful" in regards to light output !!!

Terry
Terry, I haven't worked with the HIDs on the mustang (just on some previous cars) but typically there is a specific bulb type that will work with your ballast and setup. From my initial research for your car its either a D3R bulb/ballast. something like this
Amazon.com: Philips D3S Xenon HID Headlight Bulb (Pack of 1): Automotive

After addressing the bulb, some of the output issues could of course be due to the projector/reflector housing. But I would try some new bulbs, as HIDs do lose their shine over time.

#6 ·
Gentlemen, as you know my 2009 Bullitt had factory HID lights. I replaced them with other HID bulbs, but the entire reflector/assembly has worse light output than the halogens. My 2007 and 2005 GTs had halogens and were much better. I think Ford just modified a reflector housing and put a shield to keep from blinding people.

Terry, my 2011 did not come with HIDs, but I don't think you would have a problem with a retrofit as I am doing. The ballasts on yours, if memory serves, are attached to the outside of the housing. Not positive, but I believe the wires going to the ballast are not much different than the halogens from the main harness.

If you do decide to go down this road, just pick up a new set of halogen housings and modify them.

It is definitely work to get er done. You have to grind the back of the housing where the old halogen bulb went in.

The project is almost done on the right side. Believe me, the light output and cutoff are better than the factory HIDs on my 2013 escape and that's saying a lot as those lights were very good. I elected to keep the stock 4300K color. But, if I want 5000K or some other color it will be easy to just change the bulb for 10 to 20 bucks.

#7 ·
Bob,

Well buddy in my case I just don't have the knowledge base nor experience that I would be comfortable doing or attempting such a project. :frown2:

And unfortunately I know longer have any company here that I know the people to where I would let someone else do that.

I guess unless something changes where I will be driving mine much more at night I'll keep what I have.

And what I have is way-way better than what came from Ford.

But what I wish I had is probably what I'm reading you are doing with your's. :smile2:

I will be continuing to track this thread closely as it is very interesting to read and see what you are doing.

I'm glad you made the decision to come on here and post what exactly you are doing and also posting the very clear pictures of your process.

Terry

#10 ·
This is a 2005 mustang with bi-xenon on low beams note the sharp cutoff to keep from blinding anyone. Note also the light!

Bob,

Thanks man for sharing the above with all of us. :smile2:

Man the Brightness looks great to me ............

Terry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.