Finally, a decent tune for the Bullitt - IMBOC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Finally, a decent tune for the Bullitt

No dyno results but finally got a proper street tuned program for the Bullitt today. The, ahem, less than satisfatory canned tunes that came w/the SCT are now digital memories, replaced by a custom tune designed by a local gent. The Bullitt is running better, w/no perceptible holes in the powerband or detonation @ higher RPMS & decreased decel burble, my three main complaints w/the aforementioned canned tunes.

The gent who designed the program is apparently part wizard. I watched him work his magic on his lap top, adjusting various parameters @ various RPMs, all truly a mystery to me, but it all seems to have worked. The car is running stronger everywhere & so long as the dreaded detonation issue doesn't arise, I'll be a happy camper.

Yay for me, an early Thanksgiving present to myself.
Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 05:24 AM

Mega BullittHead

Werd, just about the same experience i had. Was beginning to think no one could make a tune without the dreaded ping but finally found a reputable tuner who was dismayed at the timing of one my email tunes and ended up making slightly more power with less timing. glad it worked out for ya.

Nick
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

The tuner reviewed the canned tunes and had some questionable things to say about them. Funny thing was, when we initially chatted about my tune problems and the results, he almost couldn't believe what I was telling him. He knew the guy who wrote the previous tunes & thought he was a pretty good tuner; but once he loaded them onto his laptop & began reviewing the data, you could see his face go askew.

Either way, all appears well the ended well.
Lee

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 10:31 AM

Monster BullittHead

I'm very happy this all worked out for you Lee!

If I'm ever back in Ft. Lauderdale, I might have to have him work his majic on my B.

Chuck - 2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt - SOLD 5/11/13.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectreman
No dyno results but finally got a proper street tuned program for the Bullitt today. The, ahem, less than satisfatory canned tunes that came w/the SCT are now digital memories, replaced by a custom tune designed by a local gent. The Bullitt is running better, w/no perceptible holes in the powerband or detonation @ higher RPMS & decreased decel burble, my three main complaints w/the aforementioned canned tunes.

The gent who designed the program is apparently part wizard. I watched him work his magic on his lap top, adjusting various parameters @ various RPMs, all truly a mystery to me, but it all seems to have worked. The car is running stronger everywhere & so long as the dreaded detonation issue doesn't arise, I'll be a happy camper.

Yay for me, an early Thanksgiving present to myself.
Lee
Lee,

Congratulations Pal.

tigerhonaker

Brenspeed Talks about a Long Term 1,000 at the Crank H/P Project and Dream Car.

Click on Video Link below to see it on the DYNO
with
it making a Full Blown, Wide-Open, Drive-By.

http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-brenspeed-talks-about-long-term-projects-and-dream-cars/

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

I even managed to get myself into an unplanned, impromptu drag race shortly after we finished up the work. Got caught in a lane @ a traffic light that didn't allow me to go straight. The guy in the car next to me, driving a new GTI, had his window open so I asked if he'd let me in to which he responded w/an arrogant snarl. 'Oh yeah?' I thought to myself?

Well, when the light turned green, I hit it. The car responded in a fashion I haven't used much lately, the wheels/tires spun a bit, then grabbed and before I knew it, I was in 2nd gear, the tires breaking loose again and sliding a bit more- all really good fun. Needless to say, the GTI driver was well behind & ****ed as I could hear him laying on the horn. He tried to keep up but there was no denying the Bullitt y-day.

My car only has bolt-ons and I'm not even sure what kind of power is reaching the wheels. Whatever it is, it's generally more than sufficient for my purposes. I can't imagine what it must be like for you guys w/the high power engines and trying to keep this thing in line, much less resisting the constant temptation to use it.

Still, gonna be time for new tires soon, prolly before the year is out. Closing in on 22k on the stockers and their performance seems to degrade daily, especially in the rain. Not sure how some of you guys get such high mileage out of the OEM's, especially you guys w/the high power cars. I drive my Bullitt like a sissy girl most days and these things are just flat out wearing out.
Lee
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 01:20 PM

Talking

Quote:
I even managed to get myself into an unplanned, impromptu drag race shortly after we finished up the work. Got caught in a lane @ a traffic light that didn't allow me to go straight. The guy in the car next to me, driving a new GTI, had his window open so I asked if he'd let me in to which he responded w/an arrogant snarl. 'Oh yeah?' I thought to myself?

Well, when the light turned green, I hit it. The car responded in a fashion I haven't used much lately, the wheels/tires spun a bit, then grabbed and before I knew it, I was in 2nd gear, the tires breaking loose again and sliding a bit more- all really good fun. Needless to say, the GTI driver was well behind & ****ed as I could hear him laying on the horn. He tried to keep up but there was no denying the Bullitt y-day.

My car only has bolt-ons and I'm not even sure what kind of power is reaching the wheels. Whatever it is, it's generally more than sufficient for my purposes. I can't imagine what it must be like for you guys w/the high power engines and trying to keep this thing in line, much less resisting the constant temptation to use it.

Still, gonna be time for new tires soon, prolly before the year is out. Closing in on 22k on the stockers and their performance seems to degrade daily, especially in the rain. Not sure how some of you guys get such high mileage out of the OEM's, especially you guys w/the high power cars. I drive my Bullitt like a sissy girl most days and these things are just flat out wearing out.
Lee
Lee,

Excellent !!!

That is why I just changed exhaust again

Now I can drive it in an "Aggressive-Way" !!!

You might get a kick out of a Test Ride in the New Improved tigermachine, maybe

tigerhonaker

with

http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-brenspeed-talks-about-long-term-projects-and-dream-cars/

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Terry, I think your ride would make me pee myself just a tad.
Lee
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 01:26 PM

Talking

Quote:
Terry, I think your ride would make me pee myself just a tad.
Lee
Lee,

Possibly, but I can tell you it would get your immediate "Attention" IMHO.

tigerhonaker

with

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 05:17 PM

Garage
I know what you mean, I have all most a perfect tune from BlowByRacing. I want to in 012 get a custom tune from a local performance shop//

Black 2008 Mustang Bullitt, ID# 2029, 1 of 1431, Build Date 02/15/2008.
HID headlights, Shaker 1000 Stereo, Active alarm system, Purchased 03/28/2008.
SHR Louvers, Custom painted engine covers, 3M Venture Shield, 50% LLumar window tint.
Moroso Aluminum tanks/AirOil separator, Carbon fiber DS, Nitto 555 tires 255x45x18".
Barton shifter/twin 62mm TB/Hot Rod Cams/CAI/4.10's & 8.8 Axle Girdle.
Steada UDP's/Racer CMDP's/LCA's/Adjustable 3rd link.
Kook's Headers/H-Pipe, Corsa Extreme mufflers.
BlowByRacing tuned 340rwhp/335rwtq
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

I just can't get over the change, the feeling in responsiveness there is w/this new tune. The engine is fully alive, ready & eager any time I step on the pedal. No more soft, bottom end valley, no more holes in the powerband, just a whole lot more fun. This is the way the Bullitt should've felt all along. I'm just so satisfied overall w/how it feels & responds now. I'd been dreaming about maybe putting on headers or the racing intake but now, I think I'm pretty satisfied w/the engine performance ('course, who knows how I'll feel once I get acclimated to the newfound 'power.') Nope, after I get some new tires, I think I'll start saving up for some suspension or brake mods.
Lee
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 12:35 AM

Talking

Quote:
I just can't get over the change, the feeling in responsiveness there is w/this new tune. The engine is fully alive, ready & eager any time I step on the pedal. No more soft, bottom end valley, no more holes in the powerband, just a whole lot more fun. This is the way the Bullitt should've felt all along. I'm just so satisfied overall w/how it feels & responds now. I'd been dreaming about maybe putting on headers or the racing intake but now, I think I'm pretty satisfied w/the engine performance ('course, who knows how I'll feel once I get acclimated to the newfound 'power.') Nope, after I get some new tires, I think I'll start saving up for some suspension or brake mods.
Lee
Lee,

You have it all going your way.

tigerhonaker

with

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

yeah, all except hitting the powerball!
Lee
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 02:52 PM

BullittHead

Just ordered the SCT bluetooth tuner so I can run it through my IPad.

Any advice?

Is there a way to download or transpose this "sweet spot" tune so that I might try it out?

And I'm now a bit weary of loading up the pre-programmed tunes.

I did wonder about them, considering it appears the tunes are for stock GT models, and I didn't run across any special tunes for the Bullitt in the literature I read.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Sorry, can't help you on that one- way over my technologically limited skills to discuss or assist. Besides, you'd have to have the same mods as my car, plus there are temp/humidity/octane factors to figure into the overall equation.

Some folks are thrilled w/their canned tunes; others, like me, well not so much. All I kept hearing was w/simple bolt-ons like my Bullitt has, canned tunes would work fine but mine B-L-E-W. Your results might vary.
Lee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode