Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

TimSpeed: 1967 Olds Cutlass Build

21K views 357 replies 28 participants last post by  Jimbob 
#1 ·
found the next project for the crew at TimSpeed. We will be adding a new crew member, he will be in training for quite some time....my son. Finally found a car he likes. He is into the 60's 4 doors so here it is:

will be minus the rims in the pictures, will have the stock wheels and hub caps. car is in Alabama now and I am waiting to hear from the shipper on getting it here. had taken a loan out on the Cobra to get something to teach him about cars and although I am in a fix with SnakeBit now, told him I was not using the money on my car since I promised him we would find something.

plans are for chrome rims (he likes chrome) and to paint it Black. car has approximately 69K on the clock, 330 V8, 2barrel, 2 speed powerglide tranny. has air, ps, no power brakes and allegedly very little rust...only behind the front fenders at the rocker, cracked windshield and dent on right rear quarter. interior is said to per very nice including the seats. so we shall see......

let me know if anyone is interested in watching as things take place...will be very slow due to finances, but it is a start and he is very excited.

See less See more
#6 ·
thanx everyone, he is only 14 so no daily driver or driving at all for awhile. just work or should I say teaching and work. gotta break out some old tools if I still have them...timing light, dwell meter, distributor wrench and assorted other stuff that hasn't been used in years.

#11 ·
funny you should say that.....one of the reasons why he likes 4 doors is that he could take his friends with him and not have to move a seat to get them in.

#14 ·
BULLITT3230 said:
Let me know if you need to borrow any of those classic tools....just gathering dust at my place....
Thanx Kurt!!!!!!!! I have to go thru some boxes and see what I have left as far as the timing light and dwell meter. will also rummage my tool box for some of the other stuff. I actually had to buy brake tools when we still had the Durango, prior to our "visit" up near you with the radiator disaster. that car had drums on the back. a friend of mine who is like my adopted son, helped with that, had not seen drum brakes before and has a mechanical engineering degree.....he was amazed at the whole scene when looked at it. wondered what they were thinking back then.......... so I have the brake tools now, although I am told the brakes are real good on the car now.

#15 ·
tigerhonaker said:
Hello Tim,

Can't offer any tools as I don't work on cars including mine.

But just wish to say it is nice of you (Dad) to do this project with your 14 year old Son. :)

Look forward to seeing and reading the progress as it takes shape.

Nice Dad for sure.

Thanx Terry! in the meantime, gonna start collecting parts for the Snake to get it fixed.....since it is my DD I have to do something soon.

#16 ·
I have a high quality xenon tube inductive timing light...and an old Penske engine anaylzer...does a thousand things but for which I only used it for dwell! :lol:
I assume it still works, but instructions long gone..... both vintage 70's units...
Also have various size distributer wrenches (at least used to, but those too are boxed up for me as well...have to go dig).

#18 ·
bobnixon said:
Tim,this Is A Good Thing For You And Son.those Cars Were One Of My Favorites.

Keep Us Up To Date.

Thanks
Thanx Bob.. will do. I can tell you one thing...this is not going to be a restoration project...it will be a modification and repair project. black car, some kind of chrome rims, stereo, suspension mods, appearance mods, gauges, probably bucket seats and console, shoulder harnesses (I am not going to settle for plain ole seatbelts for him and his friends and family.

#19 ·
SnakeBit said:
thanx everyone, he is only 14 so no daily driver or driving at all for awhile. just work or should I say teaching and work. gotta break out some old tools if I still have them...timing light, dwell meter, distributor wrench and assorted other stuff that hasn't been used in years.
Definitely go with the Pertronix electonic ignition module. I put it on my 66 Lemans and it made a world of difference. I got sick and tired of adjusting points (by the way, I have several of those wrenches if you want one.) :smile:

#20 ·
Deuce said:
Definitely go with the Pertronix electonic ignition module. I put it on my 66 Lemans and it made a world of difference. I got sick and tired of adjusting points (by the way, I have several of those wrenches if you want one.) :smile:
one of the tools I am going to look for...that spring hex head for the points, but will probably do what you said since it will make things much easier for my son and for me, besides, better performance. I have not installed one of those before, but can't imagine much to it.

#23 ·
TrueBlue02058 said:
Too bad gas is so expensive, otherwise a 455 would fit just fine.
true, not only the gas, but a teenager with a 455 in it.......not in the future as far as I am concerned!!!!! the ole 330 with a 2brl is fine for him lol!!!!!!!!

actually, if there ever was an engine swap, would go with an LS motor to get all the latest technology and fuel injection with one of the trannys to go with it. better everything at that point.

#24 ·
SnakeBit said:
...I have not installed one of those before, but can't imagine much to it.
I always say...if I can do it, anybody can do it! If I remember correctly, it's just a little module that screws in where the points were.

If you can't find that tool, pm me. I'm pretty sure I've got a couple in my tool box somewhere. I'll mail it to you.

#25 ·
SnakeBit said:
funny you should say that.....one of the reasons why he likes 4 doors is that he could take his friends with him and not have to move a seat to get them in.
Kinda makes me feel selfish. I never wanted anything but a two door so that I didn't have to share my ride with others......silly, as most of my buddies had cars that were way better than what I was driving.:rolleyes:

Of course he is like twenty generations younger than I. Different world.

#26 ·
DavidMidgley said:
Kinda makes me feel selfish. I never wanted anything but a two door so that I didn't have to share my ride with others......silly, as most of my buddies had cars that were way better than what I was driving.:rolleyes:

Of course he is like twenty generations younger than I. Different world.
true, but, I know, you will say "what else would a Dad say..." but he really is a nice sweet guy and not nearly as selfish as a lot of kids these days. He doesn't display the sense of entitlement that not only children now display, but adults as well. the car was my idea to do with him and he obviously is and has been excited but if I told him I was using the money to fix the Snake....he would be fine with it and tell me he understands. didn't bother to ask him.....I already know what he would say and I would not go back on my word.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.