Changing Hoses - IMBOC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Question Changing Hoses

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am reaching 100,000 miles on my baby. I took her in for basic service and to change out some of the pulleys because they were making a squeaking noise. When i got her back car sounded great, but one thing that didn't sounds good was what my Service tech told me. The service tech told me to think about changing all the hoses because some were getting soft and needed to be replaced. He gave me a rough estimate of about 1,000 dollars. i was he said it was because they would change all the hoses and some were not easily accessible. Anyone else come across this or done this type of service before?

Thanks for any replies.
Fonso

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 07:50 PM

PY-Like BullittHead

Garage
should be pretty basic unless there's still that short little hose under the intake like on the early 4.6 engines.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My 01 is almost to 100,000 and I have been thinking the same thing. I have not checked into the price but doing it yourself should not cost over $75 or so I would think. Lower hose might be a pain but not worth that much money. Time to change plugs too.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonsomustang08
Hi Guys and Gals,

I am reaching 100,000 miles on my baby. I took her in for basic service and to change out some of the pulleys because they were making a squeaking noise. When i got her back car sounded great, but one thing that didn't sounds good was what my Service tech told me. The service tech told me to think about changing all the hoses because some were getting soft and needed to be replaced. He gave me a rough estimate of about 1,000 dollars. i was he said it was because they would change all the hoses and some were not easily accessible. Anyone else come across this or done this type of service before?

Thanks for any replies.
Fonso
I'd focus on just replacing the primary radiator hoses, but there is one funky lower hose w/ a tee junction in it. Looks interesting to replace. As for the heater hoses, I'd leave those alone. The radiator hoses are the ones that take the constant heat from the motor, the other don't.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 07:05 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Garage
Maybe they quoted you a price for silicone hoses. They are way more expensive than the standard rubber ones.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Supporting Member

Which brings up another question...are the silicone hoses really that much better than original, or do people buy them for the pretty color? I mean, do they handle higher pressure? Higher temps? Last longer? I really don't know.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 02:36 PM

Never seen any sales pointers on them. Bet a set of Gates basic ones are perfect for most setups.

Do heater hoses flow continuously?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode