Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

rear end whine/noise

9K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  lope1125 
#1 ·
hey everyone, this is my first thread on imboc. have to say an awesome resource.

the issue i am having is the rear is making a whine at highway speeds, approx. 60-65mph to 80-85mph when on the throttle. brought the car to ford as it was still under the 3/36 warrenty 8 months ago. car had 7500 miles then and about 8500 miles now. ford replaced the ring and pinion under warrenty and said the noise was fixed. first thing i did when i got it back was take it on the highway. noise was still there but not as bad. i dont do a lot of highway driving so i dont really notice it but the other day i was on the highway and have to say the noise is back to the level it was previous of the repair. wondering if i should bother bringing back to ford, or pay a specialty shop to possibly set up the gears correctly. i have heard the 3.73 gears are noisy, but i think it is excessive. i have also heard that 4.10 gears are a good way to go.

any comments, suggestions, advice, experience would be much appreciated, thanks

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hello John, Welcome to IMBOC!

Many Bullitt owners have gone through exactly what you describe. Myself included, numerous times.
The S197 platform is notorious for transmitting noise, vibration, and gear noise into the cabin. There is NO sound insulation in the rear of our cars.

Some owners will advise you that if the gears are set up correctly, there should be no noise.
Others will tell you that if the noise is 'slight' and you can live with it, that you may as well accept it, because if you try to have it fixed, it just might be Worse next time, so just leave it alone. I wish I had just left mine alone.

If you keep going back to Ford, at some point they will tell you that the noise is normal and that's just the way it is. Gears make noise. That's what happened to me.

The 3.73 gears may or may not be noisy, but 4.10 gears have more of a chance to be noisy. Higher pinion speed for a given road speed.

My ultimate solution, and other owners have done this, is to add sound insulation to the trunk and under the back seat, and turn up the radio or install louder mufflers.

#3 ·
hey Ron,

thanks for the welcome, i have also heard about using dynamat, i might give that a try. really dont want to bring my car back to ford. feel like they will give me the run around and just slap another gear set in. and like you said could be worse than the one i already have.

#5 ·
Dynomat under the rear seat all around the UCA mounting bolt may help. I have the same noise, installed an aftermarket upper control arm and had to remove it after 3 months because the noise was so loud. The upper control arm acted like a megaphone transmitting the gear noise straight into the cabin.

#8 ·
John,my Gears Were Replaced Twice,hardly No Change.like Ron Said These Cars Have No Insulation.take The Rear Shocks,they Mount Inside Ya Trunk With One Little Thin Pc.insulation.the Tube/sleeve On The Shock Sends All That Noise In Side The Car.i Took My Shocks Loose,dynomated All That Area,under The Washers,then On Top The Nuts.
If You Are Not Carrying A Full Size Spare,that Really Makes A Differance To Have A Good Tight Fitting Spare In That Wheel Well. 5224 Has Ben Dymanated,doors,qtr Pannels,the Compleat Trunk Area/wheel Well Ect.
Floor Pan From Under The Front Seat Out Into The Trunk.the Differance It Made Was Well Worth All The Hard Work,and 27 Lb.dynomat.i Now Hear No Rear Gear Whine.i Also Got 1/2 Round Foam Insulation And Put In Behind My Window Seals To Cut Out Wind Noise.this Is My Experance,hope It Helps.bout All I Hear Now Is That Whipple,and The Exhaust.

#9 ·
JMBullitt08 said:
hey everyone, this is my first thread on imboc. have to say an awesome resource.

the issue i am having is the rear is making a whine at highway speeds, approx. 60-65mph to 80-85mph when on the throttle. brought the car to ford as it was still under the 3/36 warrenty 8 months ago. car had 7500 miles then and about 8500 miles now. ford replaced the ring and pinion under warrenty and said the noise was fixed. first thing i did when i got it back was take it on the highway. noise was still there but not as bad. i dont do a lot of highway driving so i dont really notice it but the other day i was on the highway and have to say the noise is back to the level it was previous of the repair. wondering if i should bother bringing back to ford, or pay a specialty shop to possibly set up the gears correctly. i have heard the 3.73 gears are noisy, but i think it is excessive. i have also heard that 4.10 gears are a good way to go.

any comments, suggestions, advice, experience would be much appreciated, thanks

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

John,

Just so you know.
If the rear end whine/noise is slight right now.
Leave well enough alone.

Trust this Buddy many of us have spent some very serious dollars screwing with this sort of thing.

I'm not talking about hundreds.
I'm talking about thousands.

tigerhonaker

#10 ·
I don't have gear noise, but since I put in the aluminum driveshaft, the engine/exhaust noise is quite loud. But I have also noticed that since I changed the rear axle fluid, I get a "groan" noise on turns. I used the Royal Purple which worked fine in my 2005 GT. Any ideas on that?

#11 ·
nelsonbullitt said:
I don't have gear noise, but since I put in the aluminum driveshaft, the engine/exhaust noise is quite loud. But I have also noticed that since I changed the rear axle fluid, I get a "groan" noise on turns. I used the Royal Purple which worked fine in my 2005 GT. Any ideas on that?
Bob,

This is just me and my, (Opinion).

And before the rest of you jump all over this Post.
Give me a break !!!

I'm Posting this to, Bob ......

Bob, go to Ford and get the Ford OEM Rear-End-Fluid and don't forget to
also get the Ford Posi Additive.

Change it back to Ford and your worries will be over as far as the Groan !!!

Guys I'm not going to get in some lengthy Battle here on the use of Purple Fluid Products versus OEM Ford Fluids.
If you prefer the use of the Purple and have zero issues keep using it as you prefer.

Bob, do as I suggested above and have a nice day.

Oh, BTW, the reason you hear more noise now after the Aluminum driveshaft install.
You took out the two-piece and that had the center support and was designed by Ford to Help keep down drive-line-noise.
The Aluminum shafts are for Performance, not in anyway to reduce drive-line-noise as you now know.

tigerhonaker

#12 · (Edited)
a "groan" noise on turns

Pretty good chance it's the infamous "dying whale" syndrome. If that's the case then it's just the Traction-Lok clutch pack in the differential making noise. Some guys have had extra friction modifier added and it's gone away.

The "Groan" is caused by the special carbon-fiber clutch pack in the Bullitt differential, which is not used in most Mustangs.

Please read through this Thread:
http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2135229

Additionally, many members, myself included, have learned the Hard Way that using Original Ford Fluids in the transmissions and differentials ends up being the best thing to do.
You can ask me how I know, but it's a long painful story.

#13 ·
Do you still have the factory axle Dampers on? They are two solid Iron weights at the end of the axle that mount to the lower control arm brackets. I took mine off when I did my suspension, and took the car out today and had the rear end whine for the first time. I will be putting them back on after I coat them in POR15.

Just another thought. They were put there specifically to reduce the whine or 'ringing' of the rear end. If you need some, I guarantee there are guys who are willing to give them away as most tinkerers take them off.

#14 ·
Quicker10u said:
Do you still have the factory axle Dampers on? They are two solid Iron weights at the end of the axle that mount to the lower control arm brackets. I took mine off when I did my suspension, and took the car out today and had the rear end whine for the first time. I will be putting them back on after I coat them in POR15.

Just another thought. They were put there specifically to reduce the whine or 'ringing' of the rear end. If you need some, I guarantee there are guys who are willing to give them away as most tinkerers take them off.
Thanks, Guys, for your input. When I was at the drag strip this last year every time I would slow down at the end of the run and make that U turn, the "whale" groan was there and the attendant would just look at me!
I do believe that the "groan" is the clutch pack. In my '05, when I changed gears, I used my favorite lubricant, Mobil 1. I used their full synthetic with the Ford friction modifier. I'm changing back this spring. I might just do the 4:10 gears and the bearing kit from AM as I did with the '05. I LOVED my 4:10, but I had an automatic an just nailing that thing was a blast from a 40 mph roll. But now I'm sc and wondering if I would just end up starting in 2nd.

#15 ·
tigerhonaker said:
Bob,

This is just me and my, (Opinion).

And before the rest of you jump all over this Post.
Give me a break !!!

I'm Posting this to, Bob ......

Bob, go to Ford and get the Ford OEM Rear-End-Fluid and don't forget to
also get the Ford Posi Additive.

Change it back to Ford and your worries will be over as far as the Groan !!!

Guys I'm not going to get in some lengthy Battle here on the use of Purple Fluid Products versus OEM Ford Fluids.
If you prefer the use of the Purple and have zero issues keep using it as you prefer.

Bob, do as I suggested above and have a nice day.

Oh, BTW, the reason you hear more noise now after the Aluminum driveshaft install.
You took out the two-piece and that had the center support and was designed by Ford to Help keep down drive-line-noise.
The Aluminum shafts are for Performance, not in anyway to reduce drive-line-noise as you now know.

tigerhonaker
Without having Ford spec fluids in the differential, you have 0% chance of having any warranty claims honored for the rear end & associated parts.

#16 ·
Dyno Don said:
Without having Ford spec fluids in the differential, you have 0% chance of having any warranty claims honored for the rear end & associated parts.
Hi, Don. My warranty is really up anyhow. I did some research long ago on lubricants and Mobil 1 was possibly the best. All synthetics are not the same, I just used Royal Purple because it came with some other stuff I ordered. I won't use it again. Mobil 1 also makes a full synthetic ATF which our Mustangs use in the manual trans case. When I owned the '07 GT/CS I used M1 and immediately the car shifted easier and quieter. Not cheap stuff, but most good things cost a few bucks.

#17 ·
HAHA Tasca Dyno'd my car, proceeded to smash my door into the wall in their dyno room. waited for me to see it the next day to tell me about it, the general manager refused to speak to me about it. only offer i got was to have them do all the body work.... i said no, i want my guy to do the body work..... needless to say i was ignored after that. screw tasca.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.