Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Internal rattle???

6K views 34 replies 7 participants last post by  Jacob Staples 
#1 ·
I am new to this sight and new Bullitt owner. I have a tapping\cackling noise coming from passenger side valve cover from what the shop and I can tell by just listening to it. Is there a right up on changing the lash adjusters and the cam followers? It has a new cam and springs from previous owner shop installed. I heard that the adjuster can wear out and the whole thing move up n down which causes that noise. I am prepared to change all followers and adjusters. Any help would be great. I want to do it all myself like I do with all my cars. I just need some info.

#2 ·
new cam, should be new cams if changed unless just one was an issue. how many miles on the motor? were the guides changed too?

#3 ·
This was my old Bullitt. The cams were installed when the car had ~70,000 miles by Brenspeed back in 2013. They recommended replacing valve springs, which were done at the same time. They didn't mention replacing any of the followers or guides and they weren't on the receipt, so I assume still all stock. It had just under 80,000 miles when I sold the car earlier this year. I've spoken to Jacob about this and recommended he come here for more info as I'm just not savvy when it comes to the internal workings of these mod motors. Is this a common thing? In all the posts I've read on here over the years, this hasn't really come up all that much.

#4 ·
sound can travel easily. first step would be to use a stethoscope to try to narrow down exactly where the sound is coming from. if not one of those, a long screwdriver will work, just not as well.

Reactions: Bullitt 736
#5 ·
Thanks itsabullitt for the help.
I have passenger side valve cover off and all followers and adjusters now. Currently working on driver side. So basically I cant do sound test. The noise can only be heard from the top. I was told from a shop that previously worked on this car that the sound is coming from valve train. How do I tell if the adjusters or followers are bad? Should I just replace them and see if sound goes away? Is there other ways to tell if something else may be wrong with it? As stated by itsabullitt the cams and springs are new but factory followers and adjusters.

#6 ·
My first thought was exhaust leak at the header, especially if there's a cackle. I chased a rattle down that sounded like the engine letting go, but luckily was just the aftermarket shifter knob. Hopefully this fixes it for you, but that's where I would go next if the noise is still there.

#7 ·
you can still do a sound test by listening at the head, front cover, etc.

#10 ·
I am using Mobil 1 5w20 and was recently changed. The sound frequency doesn't really change. At idle I hear nothing. I can rev it and slightly hear it. Put it under a load at about 2000 you can hear it. Cruising down the highway at a constant speed sound is constant. Put a little in the gas it goes away or let off it goes away. NO lose of power at all. With the inconsistency its hard to tell what is making the sound which is why I took it by the shop to get their opinion. Which is why I started with the passenger side valve cover. My problem is I don't know how to tell if any of those parts are bad. I know a decent amount about cars but cant figure this out. Is there certain brands any of you would recommend on followers and adjuster? I would still like to know what you all think on the issue. I am afraid that I will change them and still have the noise. There is no signs I can physically see to determine the problem. How do you tell if a follower or adjuster is bad? Could spark plugs or injectors make noise? Thanks in advance for the help.

#12 ·
injectors can make noise. again, use the stethoscope to listen.

#15 ·
I did not realize you had removed all that stuff. obviously now, you can't use the stethoscope to determine where the noise was coming from. car has to run so you can listen.

I have no experience with the trick flow followers and adjusters so cannot comment.

#23 ·
So I have everything removed ready for new parts. I still have to get them ordered though. While I am waiting on the parts to get here I wanted to get some things prepped for re-install. The metal\rubber grommets on the valve cover are cracked and some torn. How do I get the grommets out? I know the new gasket set comes with new ones but not sure if it is the whole thing or just the rubber part. Can you guys shed some light on this for me?

Thanks in advance.

#24 ·
did you figure out where the rattle was coming from?

have not had to remove the grommets so can't help you there directly. I would think, like a dental pick or something along that line should pull them out.

#25 ·
No I have not figured out where the noise came from. I am hoping installing new followers and adjusters does the trick. If not I will have to take it out and dig deeper. When installing new adjusters is there a pre-oil I need to do or just coat the outside a little to slide them in?

#27 ·
Well I got everything put back together and of course it started up just fine. No leaks of any sort. I drove it about a mile and the noise is still there. So know I have new springs, followers, adjusters, and cam. I dont know what else could be wrong unless it is down deep in the motor. I am going to get a stethoscope and see if I can find where it is coming from. Any ideas on what else it could be.

#28 ·
Really hoping it's just an exhaust leak. How about the belt tensioner and idler? I replaced it about a year or two ago. It made a little noise, but nothing that could be heard while driving. Check alternator. Could be a bearing going out in the alternator. I don't remember ever replacing it. I would think if it was rod knock or piston slap, you'd hear it all the time.

#29 ·
get the stethoscope and then let us know what you hear where. Harbor Freight sells them for not much at all.

Reactions: itsabullitt
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.