• 1 Post By mungus
  • 1 Post By shortymustang
  • 1 Post By 01TB03AB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Garage
Question 2nd Bullitt Mustang found?

Or so some guy in a Mexican shop says...

Missing Bullitt Mustang Possibly Found Decades Later - The Drive

Had a look at some of the various links to this story and some of the photos. Its promising in that it looks like a real door tag with the right number, and there is a vent in the trunk (for the movie lights generator), but so much of the car is missing in the photos, and we all know how many fakers there have been. In reality all the photos show is a weathered door tag with the right number (not hard to get) and a rusty exhaust vent jammed in the trunk. It could be real but...

I'm really hoping this is the long missing 2nd car, that was supposedly crushed, but personally I'd want to see an thorough investigation by Kevin Marti, the MOC and David Kunz, resulting in a unanimous big tick before I'd label it as the real deal.

Would be nice if so though.
George OKon likes this.

March 68' S code GT Fastback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 02:31 AM
Supporting Member

Perhaps I was born a skeptic? I tend to believe what we've been told for decades, that the car used in the jumps was scrapped. The other? I guess we've all heard of the reclusive owner. So, could there have been three built? Highly unlikely. Yep, I'm just a born skeptic...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 02:32 AM

You Broke the Server!

Garage
Been watching this on Facebook

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Konis,Eibach sportlines,MM caster camber plates,MM X adjustable lower control arms,MGW Shifter,Alum driveshaft,Mac Prochamber,Mach chin spoiler,19" Forged wheels with BFG 255/295
Best 1/4mile Vortech V1 13.29@106mph

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Garage
Cool Mmmm - wanna wait and see on this one!

Personally I'd love to hear this car is the real deal, and I think its cool that the story is generating more public interest in our beloved Bullitts. However really as a sceptic who already owns an old Mustang magazine detailing 1 fake bullitt, and who is well aware how much of an auto faking industry there is south of the border (no disprespect, in fact my wife is latina), I have my doubts on this story too.

When it comes down to it what is being presented so far is this:

1. A little known web journo makes a claim that the car has been found, no ifs or buts - ITS BEEN FOUND! Given that no investigation by any credible sources has yet been completed (ie MOC judges, Kevin Marti or perhaps David Kunz) even making such a headline smells of attention whoring. (IMHO of course!)
2. A 68 fastback, (easy enough to buy in various states of repair, even in Mexico) seemingly missing the movie damage and many parts (e.g. FIV Secura steering wheel) appears claiming to be the long lost 2nd movie car. Of course (surprise) it will be worth millions...
3. The only evidence offered so far, is a correctly numbered door VIN tag (easily acquired and age faked), and a home made rusty generator vent mounted into the LHS rear wheelhouse. (not hard to make and the only person who could dispute its form (original fitter) is now conveniently dead.
4. Despite the movie and its signature cars being famous (yes, even in Latin America, there is an MOC in Mexico), AND the VIN of the missing car being well known in Mustang circles (and published on the web too), the car in question passed through numerous owners / enthusiasts and got lots of work done on it (allegedly changing colours several times) without ANYBODY clicking to its real value and car world celebrity status.

YEAH RIGHT!

But hey anything is possible, maybe the studio staffer figured he would make a few bucks selling it instead of crushing it as he/she was told to at the time? And maybe given its beat up state it wound up south of the border, unable to pass inspection stateside?

Maybe it is real? If so then great, put it under the microscope from the MOC judges and Kevin Marti and PROVE IT! Until then I'm calling another BS Bullitt. But that's just me...

Last edited by mungus; 03-02-2017 at 03:09 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:15 PM

You Broke the Server!

Garage
Kevin marti is flying to Mexico to see itb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Konis,Eibach sportlines,MM caster camber plates,MM X adjustable lower control arms,MGW Shifter,Alum driveshaft,Mac Prochamber,Mach chin spoiler,19" Forged wheels with BFG 255/295
Best 1/4mile Vortech V1 13.29@106mph
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Garage
Great News!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisW View Post
Kevin marti is flying to Mexico to see itb
That's great news. Kevin should (if allowed) be able to give it the examination it deserves.
If he says its good then yippee!

If he doesn't, lets hope the owner isn't a cartel member!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:11 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

"But hey anything is possible, maybe the studio staffer figured he would make a few bucks selling it instead of crushing it as he/she was told to at the time? And maybe given its beat up state it wound up south of the border, unable to pass inspection stateside? "

Very possible. We had a 1970 FB which my son hit a tree with. In addition to the badly damaged front, there was lots of rust (hidden) in the back so not worth fixing (IMO). Neighbor was taking it to the crusher but along the way, someone stopped him and asked what he was going to do with it and when neighbor told him they were going to crush it, he brought it. Wasn't must let but a shell with quite a bit of rust. Who knows, the same thing may have happened here. I have my doubts but you never know.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Garage
Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDW - 852 View Post
"But hey anything is possible, maybe the studio staffer figured he would make a few bucks selling it instead of crushing it as he/she was told to at the time? And maybe given its beat up state it wound up south of the border, unable to pass inspection stateside? "

Very possible. We had a 1970 FB which my son hit a tree with. In addition to the badly damaged front, there was lots of rust (hidden) in the back so not worth fixing (IMO). Neighbor was taking it to the crusher but along the way, someone stopped him and asked what he was going to do with it and when neighbor told him they were going to crush it, he brought it. Wasn't must let but a shell with quite a bit of rust. Who knows, the same thing may have happened here. I have my doubts but you never know.
I'm confident that over the years a few cars that were put on trucks to be crushed got appropriated by the drivers. Theres even stories of prototypes having gone that way, now sitting in sheds. And remember at the time, despite the damage, this was an almost new Mustang Fastback GT 390, so it would have been desirable to someone. So yes I agree its possible.

What is strange though, is that the car was being used, repainted, changed owners etc and yet no one twigged to its real identity - very odd in an enthusiast dominated market like 68' Mustangs... Even more odd is how the generator vent stayed in the trunk like that. Who wants water, mud and road filth flung into the inside of the trunk whenever you drive it?. And if they removed said vent AND decided to keep what is otherwise a useless piece of rusty junk, then why? Again only someone who knew the value of the car would do that. So clearly some weird things going on here.

The other thing is that by looking at it its had a lot of sheet metal replaced or repaired since the end of the movie, and many iconic parts are missing (FIV steering wheel etc). So even if it is real, just what is left of the actual car? The floor pan (bent?)? The wheel houses? If it is legit then arguably what you have is akin to the warbird restorations you see flying around. That is a mostly new airplane built around an old ID tag extracted from a wreck...

Anyway the latest web gossip is that Kevin Marti has seen the car and declared it legit. We'll see I guess. I'd want to see a document saying so, with his signature, before I take much stock from such stories.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 07:34 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Garage
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungus View Post
I'm confident that over the years a few cars that were put on trucks to be crushed got appropriated by the drivers. Theres even stories of prototypes having gone that way, now sitting in sheds. And remember at the time, despite the damage, this was an almost new Mustang Fastback GT 390, so it would have been desirable to someone. So yes I agree its possible.

What is strange though, is that the car was being used, repainted, changed owners etc and yet no one twigged to its real identity - very odd in an enthusiast dominated market like 68' Mustangs... Even more odd is how the generator vent stayed in the trunk like that. Who wants water, mud and road filth flung into the inside of the trunk whenever you drive it?. And if they removed said vent AND decided to keep what is otherwise a useless piece of rusty junk, then why? Again only someone who knew the value of the car would do that. So clearly some weird things going on here.

The other thing is that by looking at it its had a lot of sheet metal replaced or repaired since the end of the movie, and many iconic parts are missing (FIV steering wheel etc). So even if it is real, just what is left of the actual car? The floor pan (bent?)? The wheel houses? If it is legit then arguably what you have is akin to the warbird restorations you see flying around. That is a mostly new airplane built around an old ID tag extracted from a wreck...

Anyway the latest web gossip is that Kevin Marti has seen the car and declared it legit. We'll see I guess. I'd want to see a document saying so, with his signature, before I take much stock from such stories.
What you say is true. Most of the sheet metal rusted to the point it was beyond repair. The empty hull of a car resting on the ground, which isn't exactly good for sheet metal.

I'd say the shock towers and reinforcements along with the front end sheetmetal that was not in contact with the ground is good. Firewall, fender aprons, maybe the radiator wall. Rear axle hump is original, they say it was cut out of the flooring and truck floor and down turns. I'd bet the back tail lamp panel is original. But the hood, roof, flooring, probably the doors (they were ruined in the movie filming) were all removed and replaced. The drivetrain is missing, but I'd bet that's gone on to other duties in a pickup, or some say a tractor....

There is more of this car,and it's data tags and plates are available to see and drool over than the other car.
That one maybe long gone and I would bet the owner, who is dead, didn't tell anyone where he held it hostage.

My name is David J. Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me that. You can call me David. Or you can call me David J. Or you can call me David Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me David J. Midgley....

Last edited by DavidMidgley; 03-05-2017 at 07:39 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 11:55 AM

Monster BullittHead

Garage
Guess its the real deal. Got to be worth in the millions. Interesting thread here. What was thought to be lost is now found... - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Meg likes this.

Last edited by shortymustang; 03-05-2017 at 01:26 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:41 PM

Monster BullittHead

I am also sceptical. Interesting this just happens to be found right before the 50th anniversary of Bullitt when the whole world is watching.... I hope it is true
Meg likes this.

Supercharged MMR STREETMOD 600 4.6L MANLEY FORGED INTERNALS BBK HDRS & O/R X -SLP CATBACK -FRPP 410'S & ALLOY USA AXLES-PRO 5.0 SHORT THROW-COMP STAGE 3 CAMS-PATRIOT STAGE II HEADS-EIBACH SPRINGS CAI /DYNO TUNE 439 RWHP

Tags
real bullitt mustang

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode