• 1 Post By JackDW - 852
  • 1 Post By Bullitt2059
  • 1 Post By JackDW - 852

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

Garage
Engine Rebuild Time

Just threw a rod in my '01 Bullitt and shop said after looking inside with a scope, it had some internal damage. So I've always said to myself that if I got to this point, I would get the engine beefed up and supercharged. So now I would like have the engine beefed up to handle a Kenne Bell (I believe that's the supercharge I want to go with) and get close to 500 HP. I had the clutch replaced a few years back when it went bad with an Exedy Mach 400 Stage 2 Clutch to handle 500 HP in case this day came. My question is that I live in Hanford, CA (Central Valley California) and am looking for a shop that can do a rebuild with supercharger to get it around 500 HP. I live in a small town in a very rural area, so I'm not sure if Los Angeles is my best option or not. Any recommendations on shops? Thanks

DHG #1785 Densecharger; Deep Dish 18x9 & 18x10.5; Saleen Side Skirts and Roush Front Bumper; 4.10 gears; Exedy Mach 400 Stage 2 Clutch.

Last edited by runningforyou; 03-12-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:32 PM

Super BullittHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningforyou View Post
Just threw a rod in my '01 Bullitt and shop said after looking inside with a scope, it had some internal damage. So I've always said to myself that if I got to this point, I would get the engine beefed up and supercharged. So now I would like have the engine beefed up to handle a Kenne Bell (I believe that's the supercharge I want to go with) and get close to 500 HP. I had the clutch replaced a few years back when it went bad with an Exedy Mach 400 Stage 2 Clutch to handle 500 HP in case this day came. My question is that I live in Hanford, CA (Central Valley California) and am looking for a shop that can do a rebuild with supercharger to get it around 500 HP. I live in a small town in a very rural area, so I'm not sure if Los Angeles is my best option or not. Any recommendations on shops? Thanks
It sounds to me that you have a trashed out engine and are looking to throw a lot of money into your ride to get mediocre results. It really does not matter we have matching engine part numbers but it would be wonderful if you had the performance your looking for.

My recommendation would be to do a complete engine swap like a coyote V8.. The Coyote engine will fit in a new edge mustang for about the same cost as what you plan to do with a new supercharged engine. In fact you may get the the power you want cheaper and it would be all naturally aspirated too.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:31 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

A 4 Valve Terminator Cobra Engine would be another, less expensive option.

I burned a Piston on 2058 last summer and with a limited budget, found a period correct engine from an 03 Grand Marquis with only 40,000 miles, for $900.00. Intake and exhaust manifolds along with valve covers, oil pan, even the dip stick were transplanted Car and engine had 125,000 miles on clock when it let go.

Replacement engine works great with the new Spec Stage 2 Clutch and Aluminum Flywheel I installed just before engine let go.

A Coyote transplant would have cost me $10,000 more that I spent on the 2 valve swap.
FarmerDon and TB02413 like this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

Garage
I found a place in Fresno called SS Motorsports (used to be All Out Performance), dealing with Steve, that both companies have great reviews. I told him my budget was $10,000-$15,000 and was looking for roots style supercharger like a Kenne Bell and would like to get 500 HP. I don't do drag racing, or track racing, just fun on the streets around corners and from stop signs/lights. I told him that if we can get more HP, I'm fine with replacing the clutch to handle more HP. I also said I'll need my 4.10 gears, changed to 3.73 to handle the HP so I don't go through 1st too fast. I also mentioned possible upgrading the driveshaft to handle the HP as well if needed. I also told Steve to that I would like it to be reliable to get another 100,000 miles as it's also my daily driver. He said he would work up a list with all prices as if it were his car, and then list out several options that I an choose from if wanted. Any thoughts based on my budget? Once I get his list, I be sure to share it for more opinions

DHG #1785 Densecharger; Deep Dish 18x9 & 18x10.5; Saleen Side Skirts and Roush Front Bumper; 4.10 gears; Exedy Mach 400 Stage 2 Clutch.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:12 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

I like your plan to keeping in the 500HP range. Even with that, you will have problems hooking up with street tires. As a daily driver, I do not expect you will run drag radials unless you have deep pockets and can replace the very frequently. Bottom line, more than 500HP will just be a waste. Plus, as the power levels increase reliability will decrease.

I will be very interested in what they come up with.
sganow likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

Garage
This is the quote I just got back. Any thoughts on what you see so far? I let you all know when in get more information.

CRANK ROD PISTON 2V REBUILD BLOWER SET UP ROOTS
TUNE METH ECT.

machine work, crank, rods, pistond,bearing balance assembled short 4,500.00
block, 1100 hp( clean, prep, mag test, bore, hone, check clearance,
clevite bearings, eagle crank,engine pro h beam rods, icon forged
pistons, andassembly of short block)
oil pump and billet gears(ford performance pump and pick up tube, 449.99T
mmr billlet oil pump gears)
head gaskets( ford performance) 150.00T
arp head bolts 350.00T
arp main bolts 300.00T
timing chain set with guides (ford performance), complete kit with 460.00T
chain gears guides tensioners
gasket kit, oil pan, intake, exhaust front cover, rear cover 200.00T
oil and filter joe gibbs br30 129.99T
spark plugs tr6ix 8 79.92T
machine work on heads( valve job, surface, check guides, pressure 650.00
test, install cam check cam lash
remove and install motor 1,200.00
sct hand held tuner 400.00T
dyno tune 600.00
kenne bell blower 2.1l smog legal kit 5,400.00T
install blower 1,000.00
install heads and timing componets 350.00
(alky control) meth kit 650.00T
install meth kit 450.00

Subtotal $17,319.90

Sales Tax (8.25%) $707.02

Total $18,026.92

Last edited by runningforyou; 03-23-2017 at 09:39 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 03:30 PM

Monster BullittHead

For that price and your goals? I would find a lowish miles terminator 4v motor and 6 speed transmission and swap them in. Those engines put down 400 to the wheels in factory trim, with factory built internals. You can modify from there.

Something like this - 51k 2003-2004 FORD MUSTANG SVT COBRA ENGINE & TREMEC T56 TRANS KIT SUPERCHARGED | eBay

The price seems high at first, but you're also talking about a much stronger 6 speed transmission. Then you have factory power, reliability, and parts. I can't imagine the install cost being too crazy.
FarmerDon likes this.

93 Race tune by Bama performance, FR500S mufflers, 2011+ 13.2inch rotor upgrade, MGW shifter, BMR adjustable Panhard bar, GT500 finned Differential cover ~ "Thats thinkin with your dipstick Jimmy!" ~
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:03 PM

PY-Like BullittHead

WOW and that still does not include clutch, gear swap, driveshaft, etc. And at the end you still have a 2V 4.6.

Still, that is a starting point. Now sit down with them and discuss options. Maybe discuss going the 4V option as Bullitt2059 suggests. They may be able to come up with a more reasonable solution. After all, that was their first offer and they (as I would do), provide the "top of the line" in product and prices. Now you have something to negotiate with.
Bullitt2059 likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:14 PM

Monster BullittHead

Also throwing out there, swaps to the 5.0 coyote engine have been done on the SN95/New platform. I think I've seen estimated $10k for such a swap. I'd be all about that Terminator motor though

93 Race tune by Bama performance, FR500S mufflers, 2011+ 13.2inch rotor upgrade, MGW shifter, BMR adjustable Panhard bar, GT500 finned Differential cover ~ "Thats thinkin with your dipstick Jimmy!" ~
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:44 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDW - 852 View Post
I like your plan to keeping in the 500HP range. Even with that, you will have problems hooking up with street tires. As a daily driver, I do not expect you will run drag radials unless you have deep pockets and can replace the very frequently. Bottom line, more than 500HP will just be a waste. Plus, as the power levels increase reliability will decrease.

I will be very interested in what they come up with.
I agree with JackDW. I have a Kenne Bell SC on a bone stock motor which was dynoed at 406hp / 410 ft/lb. I have Nitto 315x35x17 Nitto drag radials in the rear. Even with the stock rear gear, the tires light up if you punch it it first or second gear. I quickly learned to make sure that the wheels were pointed straight before I hit the gas. Maybe I'm just old, but I couldn't imagine any more hp or gear. Just my $.02. Good luck with whatever you decide. Keep us posted.
Bruce
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

Garage
Thanks for the reply's. I think I am going to go with the quote above as he said "it's a build would be considered very street friendly and more of a mild build that should put down 455rwhp with the meth injection" which if divided by .85 would put me at 535 HP, which is the range I was looking for. I'm also going to be changing the 4.10 gears back down and was thinking 3.73. I really like my 4.10's, but know that's to much for the HP. BIG QUESTION: I'm the original owner with and have kept all the original main parts. What parts of this build should I keep stored away in case 30 years down the road it's worth something? Again, I appreciated everyone's advice and opinions, thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode