Murder Snake, incomplete build at TimSpeed (poor man's Brenspeed) coverage - Page 74 - IMBOC
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1096 of 1140 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Car Whisperer

yea, had to reflect the car's "New" personality. the way things are going though...water snake might have been better. never ends down here.

1996 SVT Cobra
was Frankenstang Bullitt #4923

Two defining forces died for you. Jesus Christ died for your soul. The American Soldier died for your freedom.

"It's a lot easier to pacify a country when it's citizens can't shoot back" Gray Anderson, Mayor, "Jericho"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1097 of 1140 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Car Whisperer

spent yesterday replacing my passenger side door panel and new speakers.

When I got this car, the passenger side had two or three diagonal places on the upper part of the panel that almost looked like someone laid a curling iron on it....a couple of times.

NightSnake found a panel for me at the local bone yard out of 1997 Mustang. Funny, because the color is Charcoal like most of the 99-04, but the 96 (mine), at least, the interior stuff is not Charcoal, it is black, so the color is very slightly off, but in a tinted car and an all black car, you can't tell. plus, I have a terminator steering wheel and termi seats that match the charcoal anyway.

now, the interesting part.....if you look to buy door panels for these years, i.e., 94-04, they say they are all the same. NOT!!! if you have the mach stereo, the speaker housing up by the mirror for the tweeter requires the door panel to be cut out more to go around the housing for that speaker. I tried and tried to put the newer (to me) panel on there but it would not fit. then compared to the two panels and could see a huge difference in the cut out. wound up having to cut out more of the panel which is some kind of plastic, also had to cut the vinyl to fold down, until it would go around it and fit in where it would go on the door and also not hit the dash on the side when closed.

got it done, but it does not fit like the other one and is not finished on the upper end like the old one. still, it looks better than the old one since I don't see the melted part anymore.

I went ahead and replaced the speakers since I was in there and did not know if they had ever been touched....they hadn't.

another glitch. most of the places I looked for replacment speakers indicated that the speakers were 5.25 round speakers. they did list some 5 X 7, but mostly the 5.25 round. so i buy locally a set of Sony speakers to put in, 5.25. then I get everything apart...they are 5 X 7. so back to the store I go and exchange them. now I have new speakers in both panels up front..next to the rear since they have probably not been replaced either. no pics of the whole process...to busy trying to make everything work.

I might have changed the name of the car too soon...............

1996 SVT Cobra

Two defining forces died for you. Jesus Christ died for your soul. The American Soldier died for your freedom.

"It's a lot easier to pacify a country when it's citizens can't shoot back" Gray Anderson, Mayor, "Jericho"

Last edited by Murder Snake; 09-06-2015 at 07:42 PM.
post #1098 of 1140 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 06:52 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

DHG # 01251-126,000+ miles -ACCEL COP's-LED 3rd Brake Light-Web Electric Sequential Turn Signals-Magnaflow Magnapack Catback Exhaust-Koni STR.T Struts and Shocks-Bullitt Center Caps from On in 60-JLT RAI DHG -Chin Spoiler -Mach 1 Grille Delete-FarmerDons Custom Mesh Grille Insert
USAF 70-74
post #1099 of 1140 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Car Whisperer

hey, at least it didn't rain while I was doing it...raining now!!!

1996 SVT Cobra

post #1100 of 1140 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 08:40 PM

very cool work there Tim. I am sure it looks great..

Bullitt 3130 has a few modifications , JLT CAI, 3.73 gears, BMR rear lower control arms, TimSpeed performance Custom rear upper control arms, Traenkner Performance rear shock tower brace, Predator tune from TimSpeed Perfromance, and an 12 year old female Mechanic.
I am also your Orlando Croftgate Dealer So let me know what you need..
post #1101 of 1140 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Car Whisperer

thanx Ed!!! better for sure, but not perfect. but then...neither is the rest of the car anyway, but it is great for me!!!!

1996 SVT Cobra

post #1102 of 1140 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Car Whisperer

TimSpeed shop probably back in action tomorrow. the NightSnake will most likely be over for some new front brakes. the Murder Snake is waiting for some maintenance suspension and steering replacements.

Mind you, it does not have any apparent issues, but with the mileage and age, I figure it is time. so tomorrow, once the NightSnake is done (his brakes are making noise so his car is the priority) first I am going to replace the wheel hubs on mine. Got a set of Moog complete hubs for a great price. borrowed the required 36mm socket and a digital torque wrench that goes up to 250 ft. lbs. mine only went to 200 and the specs are higher than that. hopefully with that much force being applied taking off and putting on the spindle nut, I don't pull the car off the jack!!!!!!!!

1996 SVT Cobra

post #1103 of 1140 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Car Whisperer

wheel hubs done on mine now. NightSanke helped me today and brought me a really great Christmas gift: a Sears Craftsman 6K floor jack that came with a nice creeper and jackstands. We used the jack today to do the car and with the weight of that jack, it really kept the car stable while doing the hubs. those hubs are supposed to be torqued to 258 ft. lbs. at least. I borrowed a torque wrench and a battery powered impact from a friend who has all Snap On tools. the wrench is a digital 1/2" drive that goes to 250. the impact is a Snap On also. I had no idea a battery powered impact could have that much power. it took the spindle nut off of my car like it wasn't even torqued on. putting the nut on, I didn't hit it hard on the passenger side and it was already at 214 ft. lbs. then used the torque wrench and it went to 250 with a bit of persuasion. on the driver side, I hit it with the impact more and then tried to torque it...already at least 250. wow!!!!!!!!!!!! boy, when you have the right tools as they say......

glad I did it even though the hubs were not making any noise. the age of the car and mileage, I didn't want to wait until it made noise and/or did damage to the spindles. plus. the brake on the driver side, the sliding pin that holds the caliper on has lost the washer and c clip that holds the pin in. not good. so, everything is back in order now. just have to go for a test drive, but not today.

NightSnake's brakes got done the other day and the EBC RedStuff pads and the slotted and dimpled rotors are in and working great. major mod coming up on the NightSnake. look for the reveal on his thread.

1996 SVT Cobra

post #1104 of 1140 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Car Whisperer

new tag ordered to change the identity of the snake one more time. in the meantime, roof is now wrapped so it connects the front and rear of the car. came out good I think.

still up: rear upper control arms and diff bushings; front lower control arms and tie rod ends. then new carpet which will allow some sound deadener to go since the carpet will be out. or, maybe the carpet first...not sure.

1996 SVT Cobra

post #1105 of 1140 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 09:30 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Looking forward to some photos, Tim!

Tony Alonso
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt Coupe
Black w/no Mach 460, 5-speed
No. 1118, VIN 1FAFP42X21F213026
Delivered 9/11/2008 w/47017 miles
post #1106 of 1140 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder Snake View Post
new tag ordered to change the identity of the snake one more time. in the meantime, roof is now wrapped so it connects the front and rear of the car. came out good I think.

still up: rear upper control arms and diff bushings; front lower control arms and tie rod ends. then new carpet which will allow some sound deadener to go since the carpet will be out. or, maybe the carpet first...not sure.
are you doing inner and outer tie rods, if so I have the inner tie rod removal tool makes it much easier to work on would be more then happy to come over and work in the Timspeed garage for an afternoon.. or we can do it over this way.

Bullitt 3130 has a few modifications , JLT CAI, 3.73 gears, BMR rear lower control arms, TimSpeed performance Custom rear upper control arms, Traenkner Performance rear shock tower brace, Predator tune from TimSpeed Perfromance, and an 12 year old female Mechanic.
post #1107 of 1140 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Car Whisperer

yes, inner and outer and the control arms. trying to get everything replaced so the car will be "newer" all around. tranny will be about the only thing still not refreshed then.
tigerhonaker likes this.

1996 SVT Cobra

post #1108 of 1140 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder Snake View Post
yes, inner and outer and the control arms. trying to get everything replaced so the car will be "newer" all around. tranny will be about the only thing still not refreshed then.
let me know when, hopefully I can come lend a hand!

post #1109 of 1140 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Car Whisperer

new identity arrived and now on the car. hopefully, last tag change for awhile...don't want to outdue Terry in how many different tags on the car.

1996 SVT Cobra

post #1110 of 1140 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 06:49 PM

And that new tag would show??????????

DHG # 01251-126,000+ miles -ACCEL COP's-LED 3rd Brake Light-Web Electric Sequential Turn Signals-Magnaflow Magnapack Catback Exhaust-Koni STR.T Struts and Shocks-Bullitt Center Caps from On in 60-JLT RAI DHG -Chin Spoiler -Mach 1 Grille Delete-FarmerDons Custom Mesh Grille Insert
USAF 70-74

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode