Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Stop that annoying Tri-ax whine!

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  dg517 
#1 ·
I know there have been some posts on this subject before but here is my method to stop the annoying whine and vibration through the shifter handle whildt still getting a good feel:
I just cut some 5/16" fuel hose to make some washers to fit either side of the shifter handle. Minimum fuss, quick to do, very cheap. Eliminates nearly all the whine and vibration through the shifter handle.

See less See more
#2 ·
oz, that's a great idea! :cool:

I need to try your method since the method I'm using at the moment is not working out so well...

#7 ·
I recommend Cobra Bob's shifter gaskets! I had one on my Mach 1's shifter after it got changed out to the MRT (nee Steeda Tri-Ax) shifter.

I DON'T recommend PY's large shifter ball soft know to damp out noise. That solution is more useful for "other purposes..." :)

#8 ·
:lol:
I was sifting through old "tranny whine" threads because #344's transmission has just now started to whine in 1st to 2nd. I like the sound but was curious from other threads what to do. It looks like you just leave it alone. #344 has 21,000 miles on the odometer now. Wow! I better slow it down! :lol:

#13 ·
I have NO issues with Tri Ax

oz said:
I know there have been some posts on this subject before but here is my method to stop the annoying whine and vibration through the shifter handle whildt still getting a good feel:
I just cut some 5/16" fuel hose to make some washers to fit either side of the shifter handle. Minimum fuss, quick to do, very cheap. Eliminates nearly all the whine and vibration through the shifter handle.
I used some of a spare mountain bike inner tube
when I modded my Steeda Tri-Ax and made some plates up to move my shifter back.
Now my shifter is close at hand when my seat is back.

I love this mod.

#14 ·
Tony Alonso said:
I recommend Cobra Bob's shifter gaskets! I had one on my Mach 1's shifter after it got changed out to the MRT (nee Steeda Tri-Ax) shifter.

I DON'T recommend PY's large shifter ball soft know to damp out noise. That solution is more useful for "other purposes..." :)
Sorry to post on a year old thread, but I just sold one of my shifter gasket sets to an IMBOC member. Thanks, Tony, for mentioning my gasket set here. Yes, it is designed to suppress noise and whine originating from the transmission. And it really works. The new double thickness material I switched to last year has made it even better.

#15 ·
CobraBob said:
Sorry to post on a year old thread, but I just sold one of my shifter gasket sets to an IMBOC member. Thanks, Tony, for mentioning my gasket set here. Yes, it is designed to suppress noise and whine originating from the transmission. And it really works. The new double thickness material I switched to last year has made it even better.
Thank you for a great solution to stamp out noise!

#16 ·
Funny.....
I'm an old gear head......I love the sound of a built engine....AND the whine of tranny gears...AND every squeek from all the body/interior panels being loosened by the chassis vibration! :lol:

If you wanted quiet, get a BMW, or a Caddy... ;) (notice the wink their guys, before you go off on me! :lol: )

#17 ·
BULLITT3230 said:
Funny.....
I'm an old gear head......I love the sound of a built engine....AND the whine of tranny gears...AND every squeek from all the body/interior panels being loosened by the chassis vibration! :lol:

If you wanted quiet, get a BMW, or a Caddy... ;) (notice the wink their guys, before you go off on me! :lol: )
What he^^^^^^said..... :wink:....ok....go ahead and flame Kurt :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.