Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

seat belt retractor

5K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  DavidMidgley 
#1 ·
The front passenger side seat belt retractor is stuck or broken.....I can't pull it out far enough to use......it doesn't seem to be kinked or twisted......not used that much really, less than 30,000 on car.....how do I replace?

#2 ·
ROADKING said:
The front passenger side seat belt retractor is stuck or broken.....I can't pull it out far enough to use......it doesn't seem to be kinked or twisted......not used that much really, less than 30,000 on car.....how do I replace?
You might check with your Ford dealer, being that is a safety device they may honor the warranty on that. :b01:

#5 ·
bb728 said:
You might check with your Ford dealer, being that is a safety device they may honor the warranty on that. :b01:
My Dealer DID NOT honor the warranty on that. I even pulled the "safety" card.
So, I bought a replacement, but never installed it, I've just been dealing with it.

Mine doesn't get fully stuck. Mine is sorta the opposite...it gets pulled ALL THE WAY OUT, and it takes a lot of work to get it back in.
I just have to "re-thread" it all the time.

P I T A !

#6 ·
Bullistic said:
Charles~ Thread jack ;-( How to pull rear interior Q panel, I need to do it.????? Do you have to take out back seat etc. or let the dent guy deal with it? :irked:
Fold the rear seat down. Unscrew and pull the head rest that is ablove the rear seats (be careful with it. It's brittle).

You'll be able to see the platic push pins on the lower quarter where the quarter attaches to to the back corner. Pull them.

Unscrew the coat hook. There may be a plastic pin or two there. It should be obvious. Grab the upper quarter is work it out. It's attached with clips you cannot see. Don't be too easy but also don't be too rough.

Do the same with the lower quarter.

I think that's it. It's been 6 or 7 years since I installed a new belt. The belt was redisgned and works great to this day.

#7 ·
The retractors on 02058 are getting lazy after 107K. The belts are tight when worn but the last couple of inches have to be fed into the retractors when being put away. The passenger side belt when fully extended last summer ( my Mother In-Law), would not re tract without a lot of effort. Temporary fix, She's only allowed in my F-150 and Taurus! I'm replacing them next spring. TrueBlue02058

#8 ·
Bullitt 736 said:
Fold the rear seat down. Unscrew and pull the head rest that is ablove the rear seats (be careful with it. It's brittle).

You'll be able to see the platic push pins on the lower quarter where the quarter attaches to to the back corner. Pull them.

Unscrew the coat hook. There may be a plastic pin or two there. It should be obvious. Grab the upper quarter is work it out. It's attached with clips you cannot see. Don't be too easy but also don't be too rough.

Do the same with the lower quarter.

I think that's it. It's been 6 or 7 years since I installed a new belt. The belt was redisgned and works great to this day.

Thanks for advice, I think I will take it off- Just for FUN (NOT) :roll:

#9 ·
I don't have any experience replacing the seat belts, but to those with "lazy" retractors... I had the same problem and simply using Armour-All to treat the entire belt has cured mine completely!

#11 ·
Fred,
Did you try the Armour-All? If so, did it work for you? Curious if this is helping others with this problem. I was amazed at the result. Not sure who first posted it, but good job to whomever it was!!!

#13 ·
I hate to bring up an old thread, but I'm curious to know if the Armor All trick really worked for some of you. I'm in the process of removing the interior to replace abroken quarter glass (see my thread in '01 Discussion for details). I was debating on getting new belts, but might hold off if that works.

#14 ·
Armor All works pretty good for me. put it on about once a year and it keeps retracting....sometimes slow, but it retracts.

#16 ·
I treated mine just one time about two years ago and it is still working very well. Prior to treating it, the belt had to be fed in for the last 18" or so.

#17 ·
doughboyracing said:
That's good news, as taking the lower trim off looks to be a pain. I cracked the trim panel around the glass tryin to get it off. :(
As I ranted long and hard before Re- dealing with my rear interior panal and in general. Mustang cheap plastic is 'CRAP' :sad:

#18 ·
You said it, Ron. I just got it back in, with crack. Makes me sad.

Back to the main topic, I think the reason my belts were hard to retract is because they'd become twisted the wrong way. I got the driver's side turned, hopefully the right way.

#24 ·
I have a Ford dealer as a customer and as a lark I got the parts lady to see if a seat belt was still available. As far as she could see only black is still available--then she mentioned the service dept regularly gets complaints about the Mustangs seat belt and they use silicone (Armour-all is mostly silicone) to lube the belt and it really works.

#25 ·
Now that is interesting.

I knew I could use my Armour All for something besides slinging it up from the tires to the bodywork.... :p :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.