Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

My son's future Bullitt

125K views 856 replies 99 participants last post by  NZ1997 
#1 ·
My son Kurt & I are building his 1st car a 68 Bullitt replica. Here are a few picture as it looks now. The big work will start this fall.
Pat

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

See less See more
#2 ·
Kurt & I started restoring his original front seats. The foam in the driver side seat was bad so we order new foam for both but we were unable to find replacement foam for the back of the front seats.

Sand blasted and repainted

Here is a picture of a good original foam for the back of the front seats (bottom pic) above is cut off thr top of the front foam.

]

As the front foam is too soft we cut the corner off and used spray foam to shape it and firm it up

We use new burlap but on top of the burlap we used a fabric deck for a better foundation then the steel rods in the burlap.

Painted all the steel rod that hold the seat covers on

Used a new foam pad over the frame to protect the new seat foam.

We will post a few more pictures after we receive some seat hinge parts
Thanks!
Pat

Future

#5 ·
you tell your son that if he ever gives you too much grief that I am volunteering to let you adopt me...

#8 ·
Thanks for sharing and posting......Nice little project.......Keep us updated with the progress.........

#12 ·
With Kurt back in school and me busy at work we have slowed down on the mustang restoration but we still manage to find time to do some little things like restore the seat tracks. This weekend we plan on going to Carlisle PA to pick up a few things for the car and eat some hot Italian sausages (they are the best!)
Thanks!
Pat

After removing one of the damaged track to floor studs we were able disassemble the track clean & sand blast it.

We used Eastwood zinc phosphate paint to duplicate the original gray/black phosphate color

#13 ·
Great project. car looks pretty good. all you need is the proper caps for the wheels [wheels for less.com] has em. A wood grain dash would look good too. Can't wait to see the progress on this. Happy motoring.
and as for boiling the tires I have always preferred to "smoke em".

#16 ·
Good grief! Painting a WW Mustang to HG! :lol:

Probably what I would do...

289 cid Challenger V-8 too! Loved my little 289 when I had one. It never felt like it had enough push though and I wound up punching it out, and stroking the thing. It had lots of cajones then, but for driving around it just wasnt' the same tractable engine it had been. Like posted above, look at a 5.0L if your wanting some better performance and retain drivability.

Your legal bookcase looks just like the sectionals that I have in our library. Full of my cars, and several car books that is. It is in the library after all! ;-)

#17 ·
Very cool project. I'm in the middle of tearing my 68 down. I'll be watching your progress.

#19 ·
That will be something he will treasure always, Pat. And he can pass it down to his son someday. And his son can pass it down to the next son. And on, and on, and on, and on. And it all started with YOU!

Great project! Cool car! :clap2:

#20 · (Edited)
keepat said:
Cool! do you have a thread started where I could check your progress?
Thanks!
Pat

I sure do. I put mine in the Bullitt proof section. It's titled 68 restoration project finally begins. Here's the link. We need to stay in touch and swap ideas. Sounds like we are pretty much building the same car.

http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185697

#21 · (Edited)
I rented a shop just up the street from our home to do the body work and paint on the Mustang. The price was right and it’s so close Kurt can walk there after school. The best part is there’s enough two more cars. I think I’ll have to get another 68 Charger so I can follow Kurt (a black Charger this time)

After getting the new shop cleaned up we started disassembling the front of the Mustang and test fitted the new hood Kurt bought in Carlisle last week.
Thanks!
Pat

#25 ·
We pulled the front fenders off and found no rust on either. We knew that the car had some frontend trauma at some point in its life when Kurt bought the car as evident by the inter fender & core support wrinkles. So far the only rust we have found in the front of the car is around some earlier repairs. The right side front apron will get replaced (battery corrosion) the radiator support with cross member and the left side coil spring cover.

Only the left side coil spring cover had rust

The left side front fender apron we will metal bump out, just need to do a better job on the replacement panel between the front and back aprons.

How can you tell a repro fender from a NOS fender???
Thanks!
Pat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.