seat belt retractor - IMBOC
IMBOC is proud to partner with Ford Racing

Welcome to the IMBOC forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. If you become a Supporting Member, you will have access to custom avatars, uploading images, personalized Garage listings, a special forum, and more. IMBOC.com is almost entirely user funded, so Supporting Memberships keeps IMBOC running! Registration is fast and simple, and basic membership is absolutely free! So please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us, but please read all of the IMBOC Frequently Asked Questions section first.
Become a Supporting Member. Find Out How!

Old 06-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
ROADKING

BullittHead

Default seat belt retractor

The front passenger side seat belt retractor is stuck or broken.....I can't pull it out far enough to use......it doesn't seem to be kinked or twisted......not used that much really, less than 30,000 on car.....how do I replace?
ROADKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
bb728

Super BullittHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADKING
The front passenger side seat belt retractor is stuck or broken.....I can't pull it out far enough to use......it doesn't seem to be kinked or twisted......not used that much really, less than 30,000 on car.....how do I replace?
You might check with your Ford dealer, being that is a safety device they may honor the warranty on that.
bb728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Bullitt 736
Charles

GONE TO PLAID!

You'll have to pull the rear interior quarter panel. There are two pieces. Around the quarter window and below. From there changing the seatbelt is pretty self explanatory.

WHERE WILL YOU BE IN 2014?

www.hoondogevents.com
Bullitt 736 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Bullistic

PY-Like BullittHead

Question

Charles~ Thread jack ;-( How to pull rear interior Q panel, I need to do it.????? Do you have to take out back seat etc. or let the dent guy deal with it?

Last edited by Bullistic; 06-26-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Bullistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
6treva9
MUSTANGS are the Breath of Life

PY-Like BullittHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb728
You might check with your Ford dealer, being that is a safety device they may honor the warranty on that.
My Dealer DID NOT honor the warranty on that. I even pulled the "safety" card.
So, I bought a replacement, but never installed it, I've just been dealing with it.

Mine doesn't get fully stuck. Mine is sorta the opposite...it gets pulled ALL THE WAY OUT, and it takes a lot of work to get it back in.
I just have to "re-thread" it all the time.

P I T A !
Old 06-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Bullitt 736
Charles

GONE TO PLAID!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullistic
Charles~ Thread jack ;-( How to pull rear interior Q panel, I need to do it.????? Do you have to take out back seat etc. or let the dent guy deal with it?
Fold the rear seat down. Unscrew and pull the head rest that is ablove the rear seats (be careful with it. It's brittle).

You'll be able to see the platic push pins on the lower quarter where the quarter attaches to to the back corner. Pull them.

Unscrew the coat hook. There may be a plastic pin or two there. It should be obvious. Grab the upper quarter is work it out. It's attached with clips you cannot see. Don't be too easy but also don't be too rough.

Do the same with the lower quarter.

I think that's it. It's been 6 or 7 years since I installed a new belt. The belt was redisgned and works great to this day.

WHERE WILL YOU BE IN 2014?

www.hoondogevents.com
Bullitt 736 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
TrueBlue02058

Monster BullittHead

The retractors on 02058 are getting lazy after 107K. The belts are tight when worn but the last couple of inches have to be fed into the retractors when being put away. The passenger side belt when fully extended last summer ( my Mother In-Law), would not re tract without a lot of effort. Temporary fix, She's only allowed in my F-150 and Taurus! I'm replacing them next spring. TrueBlue02058
TrueBlue02058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
Bullistic

PY-Like BullittHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt 736
Fold the rear seat down. Unscrew and pull the head rest that is ablove the rear seats (be careful with it. It's brittle).

You'll be able to see the platic push pins on the lower quarter where the quarter attaches to to the back corner. Pull them.

Unscrew the coat hook. There may be a plastic pin or two there. It should be obvious. Grab the upper quarter is work it out. It's attached with clips you cannot see. Don't be too easy but also don't be too rough.

Do the same with the lower quarter.

I think that's it. It's been 6 or 7 years since I installed a new belt. The belt was redisgned and works great to this day.

Thanks for advice, I think I will take it off- Just for FUN (NOT)
Old 07-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
TRUEBLUE3934

Monster BullittHead

I don't have any experience replacing the seat belts, but to those with "lazy" retractors... I had the same problem and simply using Armour-All to treat the entire belt has cured mine completely!
HiTech StageII cams, BBK LTs, MAC ProChamber mid-pipe, Flow Master 50s, JLT CAI, X-Cal3(custom tune for 93oct), SVT Focus fuel pump, Steeda UDP, 3.90 gears (actually 3.91), Auburn Pro w/ 31 splines, Battery relocation, MGW shifter, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, H&R Race springs, Bilstein HD Struts, MM Extreme Duty LCA w/ adj perches, MM CC Plates, MM FL SFC, MM Panhard Bar, 17x9 & 17x10.5 Bullitts, NA 285rwhp 295rwtq, 12.53ET @ 110.55mph on motor(4.10 gears), 11.66 @ 121.56mph(only 1.83 60') with 130shot of nitrous making 417rwhp/498tq(3.91 gears)
TRUEBLUE3934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #10
TrueBlue02058

Monster BullittHead

Thanks for the Armour All tip, I'll try it.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
TRUEBLUE3934

Monster BullittHead

Fred,
Did you try the Armour-All? If so, did it work for you? Curious if this is helping others with this problem. I was amazed at the result. Not sure who first posted it, but good job to whomever it was!!!
HiTech StageII cams, BBK LTs, MAC ProChamber mid-pipe, Flow Master 50s, JLT CAI, X-Cal3(custom tune for 93oct), SVT Focus fuel pump, Steeda UDP, 3.90 gears (actually 3.91), Auburn Pro w/ 31 splines, Battery relocation, MGW shifter, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, H&R Race springs, Bilstein HD Struts, MM Extreme Duty LCA w/ adj perches, MM CC Plates, MM FL SFC, MM Panhard Bar, 17x9 & 17x10.5 Bullitts, NA 285rwhp 295rwtq, 12.53ET @ 110.55mph on motor(4.10 gears), 11.66 @ 121.56mph(only 1.83 60') with 130shot of nitrous making 417rwhp/498tq(3.91 gears)
TRUEBLUE3934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #12
TrueBlue02058

Monster BullittHead

Been too busy driving. I will try it on the passenger side in the next week or so and post the results here.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
doughboyracing

Mega BullittHead

I hate to bring up an old thread, but I'm curious to know if the Armor All trick really worked for some of you. I'm in the process of removing the interior to replace abroken quarter glass (see my thread in '01 Discussion for details). I was debating on getting new belts, but might hold off if that works.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #14
Bullitt 40
Supporting Member

Armor All works pretty good for me. put it on about once a year and it keeps retracting....sometimes slow, but it retracts.
Dave DHG#00040 - Front Chin Spoiler, K&N, MGW, Fog Lights, Retro Rings, Drilled and Sloted Rotors and Ceramic Performance Pads, Russell Steel Brake Lines,
MAC Prochamber
Bullitt 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #15
doughboyracing

Mega BullittHead

That's good news, as taking the lower trim off looks to be a pain. I cracked the trim panel around the glass tryin to get it off.