Stock replacement clutch - IMBOC
IMBOC is proud to partner with Ford Racing

Welcome to the IMBOC forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. If you become a Supporting Member, you will have access to custom avatars, uploading images, personalized Garage listings, a special forum, and more. IMBOC.com is almost entirely user funded, so Supporting Memberships keeps IMBOC running! Registration is fast and simple, and basic membership is absolutely free! So please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us, but please read all of the IMBOC Frequently Asked Questions section first.
Become a Supporting Member. Find Out How!

Old 09-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
Ezekial

PY-Like BullittHead

Default Stock replacement clutch

I recently had some work to do on #1986 and decided to also replace the clutch. It's had a "noisy" throwout bearing for the last 80k miles and the pressure plate just didn't seem to be disengaging the clutch. While driving hard I would frequently get some slight grinding into 2nd, and occasionally 3rd. With 110k miles I figured it was time.

When looking for a new clutch I had the following requirements & considerations:
1. Must have an easy pedal. Most importantly for the wife, as well as myself.
2. Quality part that won't fail. OEM or higher quality.
3. Price that is reasonable.
4. I have very little power mods and the stock clutch took my abuse just fine.
5. I am SUPER PICKY about what parts go on my car. I have only installed OEM or quality aftermarket on #1986. I have learned my lesson time and time again on other cars that buying virtually anything at a parts house (more so on the big box parts houses) turns out to be touble.
6. Continuing the pickiness, I prefer to get non-China parts. The clutch & disk are made in Brazil but not sure on the bearings.

As I researched I found that Ford wanted around $700 for the stock setup! No way am I paying that! I then started investigating 03 Cobra clutches, which had mixed feedback on stiffness. I also checked out other possibilities such as 10.5 clutch conversions. The turning point for me was when I found a Mustang website selling a Valeo clutch that claimed to be the original part, just not Motorcraft branded. I then turned to Valeo's website for more information. Turns out Valeo makes something like 70%+ of all clutches for OEM manufacturers and own several aftermarket clutch companies, such as RAM. After emailing their tech line to confirm my suspicions, they confirmed that part number 52802005 is the OEM clutch kit for our Bullitts (and GTs). Alternatively the global Valeo part number W0133-1704473 is the same kit.

I then ordered the Valeo 52802005 OE Replacement Clutch Kit for $220 from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...s_o03_s00_i00). I also ordered a Ford Motorsport throwout bearing and pilot bearing at the same time. After getting all 3 items in I found out the Valeo throwout bearing is the EXACT same part as FMS! A great bonus as this was $55 alone. However, the pilot bearing, while sufficient, was not quite as nice as the FMS one. Therfore I decided to use the Valeo throwout bearing and FMS pilot bearing.

Cliff notes
* OEM Stock clutch is Valeo 52802005 (full kit from Amazon is $220). Identical to stock
* Includes FMS throwout bearing
* Pilot bearing is not FMS, but similar and sufficient
* Stock clutch kit from Ford is $700 (before any discounts you may get)
* Very good and light pedal feel. Win++

Hopefully this helps you guys out. I saw no need to step up to an aftermarket clutch at stock power levels. I have seen & heard to many horror stories of stiff clutches, chatter, crappy bearings, and failures that I did not want to mess with that. The stock clutch held up my 70k hard driven miles (40k more by previous 2 owners, one was also a hard driver (BullittMakesThree)), a few track days, and some burnouts with no sweat. Therefore, I knew I would most likely be happiest with a fresh OEM unit, and sure enough I am!

Now for proof!

New pressure plate on left, old on right:

New clutch disc on left, old on right

Original part

New part

FMS throwout bearing box on right, Valeo on left.

Which one is the "real" FMS throwout bearing? (hint, we're still playing lefty/righty)

Which one is the "real" FMS throwout bearing?(hint, we're still playing lefty/righty)

Stamped number on FMS throwout bearing.

Stamped number on Valeo throwout bearing (identical)

FMS pilot bearing on left, Valeo on right

Clutch installed!
DHG Bullitt #1986 | non-running 1966 Fastback
Resident IMBOC ridiculer of Mustangs, Cars, and visual modifications.

Last edited by Ezekial; 09-15-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Ezekial is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
Bullitt 40
Supporting Member

did you replace or resurface the flywheel?
Dave DHG#00040 - Front Chin Spoiler, K&N, MGW, Fog Lights, Retro Rings, Drilled and Sloted Rotors and Ceramic Performance Pads, Russell Steel Brake Lines,
MAC Prochamber, 3.73 Ford Racing Gears
Bullitt 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
buckwheat bullitt

Mega BullittHead

Great write up, appreciate all the pic's. Keep us updated as to how the set up performs.
buckwheat bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Ezekial

PY-Like BullittHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt 40
did you replace or resurface the flywheel?
I did. I had a local machine shop re-surface it. I think it was like $50 or so. A bit higher than a I expected, but they do good work. Being an actual machine shop helps to ensure it's done right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat bullitt
Great write up, appreciate all the pic's. Keep us updated as to how the set up performs.
It has been about 3 weeks and a couple hundred miles. No issues so far. Broke it in how I drive it, minus the real aggressive shifts for the first couple of weeks.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
sganow

Monster BullittHead

Not sure if that is the same part number I got, but I know it ended with 2005. Valero said it was the stock replacement clutch for my car. The disc was way cheaper looking than what came out of the car. It did not look like the one in your pictures. It ended up only lasting me a few months. I ended up replacing it again but this time I used the Exedy Mach 400 clutch kit from American Muscle. With forum discount it only cost me $226. It feels just like stock and works great. I am very happy with it and would highly recommend it. I used the TO bearing that came with the kit (looks just like the FRPP TO bearing) but used the FRPP pilot bearing. I also used a new SPEC flywheel this time around.
TB Bullitt #5019

Last edited by sganow; 09-15-2012 at 08:23 PM.
sganow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
SnakeBit
Timmissingname

GONE TO PLAID!

you would be correct, Valeo is the OEM for Ford. Nice pics you put up of what you got!!! Matt (FCMCBullitt) has had one in his car for quite some time now with good results.
was Frankenstang Bullitt #4923

Two defining forces died for you. Jesus Christ died for your soul. The American Soldier died for your freedom.

"It's a lot easier to pacify a country when it's citizens can't shoot back" Gray Anderson, Mayor, "Jericho"

SnakeBit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
sganow

Monster BullittHead

I meant to say that the Valeo replacement clutch I got had a much cheaper looking disc than the stock clutch. The friction surface on the disc was a lot narrower than the stock one. The cheap POS lasted less than 6 months. After that, I was not interested I getting any other Valeo clutch. As I said, I love the Exedy Mach 400 clutch and it feels just like the stock clutch.
TB Bullitt #5019
Old 09-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #8
Ezekial

PY-Like BullittHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sganow
Not sure if that is the same part number I got, but I know it ended with 2005. Valero said it was the stock replacement clutch for my car. The disc was way cheaper looking than what came out of the car. It did not look like the one in your pictures. It ended up only lasting me a few months. I ended up replacing it again but this time I used the Exedy Mach 400 clutch kit from American Muscle. With forum discount it only cost me $226. It feels just like stock and works great. I am very happy with it and would highly recommend it. I used the TO bearing that came with the kit (looks just like the FRPP TO bearing) but used the FRPP pilot bearing. I also used a new SPEC flywheel this time around.
That sucks, sorry to hear that. Well at least you got it going and found a good clutch

Old 09-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
Bullitt 40
Supporting Member

It's been 3 weeks now but I just put in the Exedy 400 stage 2, new Brothers performance billet flywheel, Ford TOB, and Ford Pilot Bearing. Feels great and no problems.
Dave DHG#00040 - Front Chin Spoiler, K&N, MGW, Fog Lights, Retro Rings, Drilled and Sloted Rotors and Ceramic Performance Pads, Russell Steel Brake Lines,
MAC Prochamber, 3.73 Ford Racing Gears
Bullitt 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
LT

Mega BullittHead

Thanks for the information. I'm sure I'll be needing it someday. I'll file it away.
You guys are the greatest. LT.
LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
Ezekial

PY-Like BullittHead

It's been over a month now, and things are going really good. Clutch feels great, and I have done some "good" shifts.

That said, I have found some "slight" vibration at certain RPMs, mostly in 3rd gear low RPMs. According to a recent thread, it is most likely due to a worn clutch fork and ball. I did not replace these, but did notice some wear. It appears I should have replaced these items. Another guy has added a spring to help. If I put my foot lightly on the pedal, it stops, so this may be a solution for me. http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206584

Old 10-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
dg517
woodrow

You Broke the Server!

Very good write up on the clutch and i learned some things that i did not know...good info!
dg517 Black Bullitt #03149

"Just Plain Black"

Dennis aka woodrow

"Touch Not The Cat...Bot A Glove"

Quote: 'If you open it....close it!'

dg517 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #13
Gordon

Mega BullittHead

Unfortunately Amazon have no stock and a "not sure when" thing going on.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #14
Ezekial

PY-Like BullittHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
Unfortunately Amazon have no stock and a "not sure when" thing going on.
I noticed that as well recently. For a while they also raised the price quite significantly as well. Something in the lower $300 range I believe. Still not outrageous, but much higher than $220 shipped!

I am sure some other places carry it, though not sure who.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #15
sganow

Monster BullittHead

You might consider the Exedy clutch. I have the Exedy Mach 400 (stage 2) clutch and it has great driveability, very smooth operation, easy pedal effort, and grabs real good. They also make a Mach 350 (stage 1), which is probably very comparable to the stock clutch and would be considered a stock replacement. I've heard nothing but good things about the Exedy Mach 400 though. Several of us here have that clutch and really like it.

You can get a great price on it from American Muscle. American Muscle also offers 5%-6% forum discounts for forum members on a few of the forums. You might contact them to check on a discount code.

BTW, the Exedy clutch kits come with the throwout bearing and pilot bearing. I used the throwout bearing that came with the clutch, but I already had a Ford Racing heavy duty pilot bearing so I used that instead of the pilot bearing that came with the clutch kit. The throwout bearing that came with the clutch looks identical to the Ford Racing throwout bearing that I took out of my car.

I had purchased the Valeo stock replacement clutch listed previously in this thread, but I got screwed because it looked nothing like the one in the pictures posted here. It looked cheap and wimpy. It must have either been mispackaged, or someone put that clutch in the box and returned it instead of the correct clutch. Either way, it was a piece of crap and only lasted me about 4-6 months. After that, I didn't even consider using another Valeo product!

I LOVE my Exedy clutch!
TB Bullitt #5019