Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Snow Bullitt

2K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  PhotoRick 
#1 ·
I pulled the Bullitt out of storage and have been driving it since it gets waaaaay better mileage than my old pickup. The weather had been nice, but yesterday it decided to snow a few inches. The snow picked up over night and this is what I woke up to.

Back to driving the pickup again.

See less See more
#5 ·
Fun. At least you have backup transportation :)

Here is one from #1986. Promptly went back in the garage after I tried to do a trip around the block. I do not recommend trying that.

#6 ·
Supposedly 16" total accumulation. It's been fun in the old pickup, just got caught by surprise and wasn't able to get the car back in storage. I have been spoiled with four wheel drive. Not sure how I'd make it if the bullitt was my only vehicle.

#7 ·
I live only about 30 minutes from Garrett and can verify we got a boat load of snow out here. The Governor called a state of emergency and pretty much closed down a good part of the state. I understand it was the 2nd biggest snow fall in Kansas. And I don't have pics of 2832 because with the snow drifted in front of my garage it will be a while before I can get it out.

#8 ·
Finally got to use the 1985 AMC Eagle wagon 4x4 yesterday that I bought in Sept,11. I've only put a few hundred miles on it since I bought it. I had one back 1992-95 so I know they will go through anything. Be selling it when we move to FL in about a year. Wife doesn't care for it, but she didn't mind being taken to work last night at 9:00 P.M. I drove it around some yesterday nobody was on the road, a lot deserted cars.

#12 ·
Welcome to the site Trey. Hopefully we can get the cars out in the spring. A few of us around Wichita, Cheney, Mcpherson try to get together for trips to the drag strip and car shows. Check out the Texas shootout in the South Central section.

#16 ·
itsabullitt said:
Supposedly 16" total accumulation. It's been fun in the old pickup, just got caught by surprise and wasn't able to get the car back in storage. I have been spoiled with four wheel drive. Not sure how I'd make it if the bullitt was my only vehicle.

That is a lot of snow no matter where you are. We up here in the North like to think that we are the all knowing winter driving masters and the rest of the country are lowland buffoons whenh it comes to winter driving, but the truth is every time it snows up here even just a little bit there is a trail of carnage made up of vehicles in ditches from one end of the state to the other.

The key to winter driving is absolutely this;

Knowing your limits and your vehicles limits and when to stay off the roads!!

#17 ·
Ezekial said:
Fun. At least you have backup transportation :)

Here is one from #1986. Promptly went back in the garage after I tried to do a trip around the block. I do not recommend trying that.
I work about maybe 5 minutes from home, and just before Christmas, I did the oil change on my bullitt. So the short, I dunno, 30 mins it took me to do that, 2 inches of snow fell. So I figure, if my father can drive his 13 gt500 in the snow, I'll be able to get this thing home and around the block. And the answer is NO, it wouldn't turn left, so I brought it back to work and left it overnight and crawled home the next day. Never, ever, ever again will I attempt that stupidity. :b01:

#18 ·
MaineBullitt said:
That is a lot of snow no matter where you are. We up here in the North like to think that we are the all knowing winter driving masters and the rest of the country are lowland buffoons whenh it comes to winter driving, but the truth is every time it snows up here even just a little bit there is a trail of carnage made up of vehicles in ditches from one end of the state to the other.

The key to winter driving is absolutely this;

Knowing your limits and your vehicles limits and when to stay off the roads!!

Agreed 100%. Everytime anything falls out of the sky, people forget how to drive. I got caught in a snow storm one time in my 98 GT auto because the girlfriend didn't want to ride in my old rusty pickup. I managed to get her and me home safe, but after that, no snow driving in any of my mustangs.

#21 ·
itsabullitt said:
Yeah, I never use traction control. It seems like more of a pain than it's worth. Just cuts power when the tires spin. For me it's easier just to ride it out.
That is so very true!

At least at that point we can can control the car as opposed to the car controlling us.

But I will have to agree when it comes to snow I prefer either front wheel drive or AWD and a good set of skins. Without the skins you can have AWD and it will do you no good. I have an 05 Focus ST and every winter I throw on a set of Nokians and that car is a snow beast.

#22 ·
MaineBullitt said:
We up here in the North like to think that we are the all knowing winter driving masters and the rest of the country are lowland buffoons whenh it comes to winter driving.
This is so true. If you want to find someone who is good with Winter drivers, look to the mountains. Drivers from W.VA are some of the best winter drivers as they have very little flatlands to drive on. It is either uphill or downhill (and I am talking about mountains not little mole hills). I am not sure what I hate worse, uphill or downhill. I think trying to go downhill is worse. When trying to slow down or stop going downhill, it does not matter how many wheel drive you got, they are all equal when it is time to stop.

Several years ago, during a major snow/ice storm in Virginia, I was starting up one the the mountain roads (steep and twisting road) when I encounted two females walking down the mountain. I stopped to give them a lift to a local convenience store. The driver explained she was from New York and has driven in snow her whole life but never encounted anything like this. Once I got back on the road, I finally encounted her car sitting sideways across the road here she had left it.

#25 ·
Have to add my favorite snow picture :lol: it's not from this winter, but from the big storm that hit the NJ shore in 2010. My family decided to go to Ocean City for Christmas, and this is the sight I woke up to on the 26th! I think we ended up with about 2.5 feet of snow that day.

Actually, I've found that as long as I have good all weather tires on the Mustang, it handles perfectly fine until I hit about 3 inches of snow on the roads - then the sway bars start to scrape. Since the city of Philadelphia does not believe in plowing until at least a day after the storm and doesn't salt the roads either, I learned this first hand!
My only issue in my Bullitt is that the increased torque means i have to be careful when moving from a complete stop or it tends to fishtail. eeeaaasssyyy on the gas pedal when in first gear - not a normal habit :badgrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.