Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

My son's future Bullitt

125K views 856 replies 99 participants last post by  NZ1997 
#1 ·
My son Kurt & I are building his 1st car a 68 Bullitt replica. Here are a few picture as it looks now. The big work will start this fall.
Pat

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

See less See more
#202 · (Edited)
Can't believe how quickly this is taking shape...
You guys are flying through this, as well as nailing the tiniest details. You will be able to publish a photo-pictorial coffee table book of this resto!
And Pat, yes, I have found some guys selling the SEM 2pac S/S on ebay but I am yet to hear from them regarding USPS postal policies on hazardous goods...
And I will get some more pics up, unfortunately it is cold cold winter down here of course and Rick's garage is not spacious enough to work indoors when the weather is inclement, so we wait for sunny days then we rush it our into the open and feverishly work on what we can. I can only get down on weekends, and spent last Saturday risking my neck with a wire wheel on a grinder removing factory body deadener from the out surfaces of the engine bay...we're travelling a little behind you which is kinda good coz we get to see all your awesome work before we get to each section. Unfortunately my doors had rust in each forward corner and the patching has so far not gone well - they will need much more careful and patient welding/cooling and grinding before they are ready for re-painting, but the engine bay is a lot closer to primer...

#203 ·
We cut the right side quarter off and replaced the trunk drop off this weekend!

It worked best for us to cut the quarter off just in from the welds and go back and drill out the spot welds.

We already had a full right side replacement trunk floor but we only need the drop off. As the right side trunk was in great shape and to keep as much of the original metal we cut off only the drop off. The left side will need the full floor.
Thanks!
Pat

#206 ·
The attention to detail so far has really got me in awe-what a great build. Keep it up guys!

#207 ·
skwerl said:
That rear quarter panel looked pretty darn good for being 40 years old. The fact that you replaced it anyway is yet another example of the extreme level of perfection which you're employing on this project.

They look ok on the outside but when you flip them you can see the old patch work.
Thanks!
Pat

#210 ·
A real Bullitt car.

Not that you need it, but just to keep you and Kurt motivated, this is 8R02S126862,
one of the 316 real Bullitt cars build in the 68 model year.
It was a total restoration such as you are doing, I drive ir regular and admire what you are doing from afar.
You can see the car on www.frednolan.com

And how it started:-

#211 ·
frednolan said:
Not that you need it, but just to keep you and Kurt motivated, this is 8R02S126862,
It was a total restoration such as you are doing, I drive ir regular and admire what you are doing from afar.

And how it started:-

would love to see some more pics of this car, some interior shots and a couple shots of it during the restoration process.. always great to see these..

#213 ·
frednolan said:
Fred,

Awesome car and a great restoration!

Thank You!

Pat

#214 ·
We hung the right side quarter and after hours of adjusting it is ready to be welded on. Pulled it off to seam seal and paint where we can’t get to when the quarter is on.

It is a little tricky sliding the quarter in as the top of the trunk gutter need to fit under the deck panel gutter.

Add two more cuts in the door jam end of the quarter to help match the shape of the door. Look vary close just a little off at the top of the C

Kurt striped another door we found that was in better shape then the one off the car. We will hang it and use it to align the left quarter as soon as we weld on the right side.

I’m glad the quarter mounted straighter then Kurt’s stickers on the refrigerator! ;-)

Thanks!
Pat

#216 ·
We have most of the quarter welded on and all that is left is the forward side of the wheel well where it meets the rocker.

I think the flair should end at the rocker??? If anyone has a good picture of this part of the quarter please post it.

With the right side just about finished Kurt started drilling out the spot welds on the left quarter, starting to see the end of the metal work.
Thanks!
Pat

#219 ·
The only part of the quarter that was way off from fitting was at the corner of the trunk.
But with a small cut to the top of the quarter to match the shape of the trunk it was easy to fix

We just pushed the gutter under the cut and welded it in place.
Thanks!
Pat

#221 ·
We have a lot going on with Kurt’s car starting with dropping the motor off at the machine shop Monday, as we are having it bored, decked, and checked over. We also order a forged 331ci crank, rods, and .040 flat top pistons. We have yet to pick a cam yet but are planning to go with a roller.

The left side quarter is just about ready to come we are leaving it in place until we repair the aft end of the frame rail and left side trunk floor.

With the X brace and the quarter in place along with a few floor support it should hold things in place for the frame rail repair.

With the power out for a few days after Hurricane Irene past through, all I could find to work on was the dash VIN plate.
Thanks!
Pat

#222 ·
We replaced part of the left side rear frame rail and fitted the new rear trunk brace today.

After cutting off about 20” of the frame rail we used it as a template match-up the replacement.

We added a few holes that were missing and cut the floor flange to the same size as the original.

Clamped on the inside we reinforced the frame with two L shaped 9” long 14 ga steel plate. With about a 3/16 gap between the plates at the bottom of the frame it was easy to access to weld together. After grinding the welds downs there is no evidences of a repair.

Two coats of POR-15 should protect it for another 43 years.

Tomorrow we will weld in the rear trunk brace and fit the left side trunk floor.
Thanks!
Pat

#223 ·
Pat: If you go back to your first post you would not know this is the same car.....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Who knew the same car had all this hidden damage........Thanks again for posting and sharing.......

#224 ·
Pronkie1 said:
Pat: If you go back to your first post you would not know this is the same car.....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Who knew the same car had all this hidden damage........Thanks again for posting and sharing.......

+ 1 on that... it looked like a really nice car to start with. I have always wanted an old 67 or 68 mustang, but looking at all of this, makes me want to stay away...

#225 ·
Today we install the rear trunk brace and the left side trunk floor.

The trunk brace & left side trunk floor was the best fitting repro part we welded on the car. Both parts went right on with no problems, to side it into place we cut ¼” off the bottom of the package tray support which is not a problem as there is a 1” tall L angle that welds to the floor and hides the cut.

The repro rear trunk bumper brackets do not look correct but we were able to use the original

Just a few spot welds and brackets to weld on and we will move on to the left quarter the last piece of metal to replace.
Thanks!
Pat

#226 ·
We cleaned up more of the plug welds and worked on the left door today.

After we grind down the plug welds we pinch weld over them if we can reach the spot as to get an authentic look.

Just one of many panels that we will get to block sand; after it gets primed we will hang it so it can help align the new quarter.
Thanks!

Pat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.