Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

68 restoration finally begins

15K views 117 replies 29 participants last post by  oklacop 
#1 ·
Well it's been a year since I bought my 68 fastback and I just started tearing it down for a full restoration. I'm tearing it down completely and cataloging every nut and bolt, even the ones I know I'm not going to re-use. Once it's disassembled it's going to get soda and or media blasted. then it's off to Classic Recreations in Yukon, Ok for paint and body work. It may stay at that stage for a while so I can decide if I want to beef up the 289 that's in it or go with a 302. Anyway, here are two before pics and the rest are what I've done so far. I'll be updating on a regular basis (hopefully). Always open to suggestions from you Bullittheads.

Attachments

See less See more
#77 ·
Started the sound deadener tonight. Like I said earlier, I went with Peel & Seal as opposed to Dynamat. My roller came in and it appears top be of good quality. I cannot imagine attempting this application without this roller!!!!!!!! Here are a few pics.

#79 ·
Sorry, pics won't load. I'll have to try it again tomorrow. Might be the site.......not sure.

#80 · (Edited)
I sent B-man a message and he responded. He said my account looks good. He doesn't know why they won't load. I'll check my camera and make sure the resolution didn't get set too high or something. Anyway, I'll try again tonight. The Peel & Seal is going down very nicely and has been very easy to apply.

#84 ·
Sorry for the delay. Here are some updated pics. I finished the sound deadener and loaded her up to take to the guy helping me with the suspension. I also got my 4 speed toploader back from Mark Hammonds at Toploader Heaven (toploaderheaven.com)
right here in Oklahoma.

Mark is a great guy and the transmission is so pretty that I hate to mount it up to the car and get it all messed up.......just kidding, but it is pretty!

Attachments

#85 ·
My one piece headliner from mustangstofear.com also came in and is ready for install.

Attachments

#87 ·
oklacop said:
Sorry for the delay. Here are some updated pics. I finished the sound deadener and loaded her up to take to the guy helping me with the suspension. I also got my 4 speed toploader back from Mark Hammonds at Toploader Heaven (toploaderheaven.com)
right here in Oklahoma.

Mark is a great guy and the transmission is so pretty that I hate to mount it up to the car and get it all messed up.......just kidding, but it is pretty!
Rob,

Things are looking great and all is moving forward. :smile:

Luv the New Top-Loader tranny, nice Pal.

tigerhonaker

#89 ·
Peel and Seal job looks great! Is the undercoating on the interior paint, actual undercoating, or pickup bedliner? How well does the P & S stick to it?
I have been toying with the idea of adding some to the Bullitt, as well as the F-150...probably do the F-150 first as a trial ballon. I am going to redo the F-150's interior and replace the headliner this summer, so while it's out I'll give it a dose of the P & S! ;-)

#90 ·
wsmatau said:
Rob,
Looking good. I wish I had the $$$ to spend on the paint job. What C/O did you decide to use?

Frank
I assume you mean coil over? Hope so. Anyway it's the TCP coil over conversion, which uses stock upper and lower control arms.

#91 ·
DavidMidgley said:
Peel and Seal job looks great! Is the undercoating on the interior paint, actual undercoating, or pickup bedliner? How well does the P & S stick to it?
I have been toying with the idea of adding some to the Bullitt, as well as the F-150...probably do the F-150 first as a trial ballon. I am going to redo the F-150's interior and replace the headliner this summer, so while it's out I'll give it a dose of the P & S! ;-)

It's actually a very thin coat of the bed liner. I wasn't really hip to the idea at first, but they talked me into it. Not a stock look at all, but it's very durable.

#92 ·
Sorry I haven't posted any pics in a while. We are currently laying out all of the wiring. They sent me the wrong wiring harness, but it's been resolved. My Old Air Products heat and air unit should be in any time. I'll post some pics of that install.......soon I hope.

#93 ·
Ok, It's been a while. Heres some pics and updates on the project. All interior panels are painted, I received the remaining parts that were still at the paint shop. I modified/painted the gas cap, and the tail light Bezels have all been painted.

Attachments

#94 ·
Here are additional pics. The first pic is a 67/68 distribution block with proportioning valve (extremely hard to find). This one is a refurbished original (thank you www.chockostang.com). Our spare bedroom has become my storage room for the painted parts waiting to be put on the car. The two longest parts are the painted rocker molding. I also received the new vents for the interior panel along with new sliders from Scott Drake. The pieces hanging from the bar in my garage are the interior metal trim pieces freshly painted.

Attachments

#96 ·
Here's a quick pic of one of the front disc brakes. These are new stock 68 disc brake parts with the TCP coil over conversion.

Attachments

#97 ·
Haven't updated in forever. Between Boy Scout stuff, work, and everything else in life, it's hard to be able to find the time I need to get going on the 68. The brakes are done, old air products heat/air system install has started and we are about to set the motor in. I've been following Keepat's thread on Kurt's 68 project and although I wish mine was done, It's nice to have their thread to refer to as my project goes along. Thanks Pat and Kurt! Your thread has been like a bible for anyone doing a Bullitt project!

#98 ·
oklacop said:
I've been following Keepat's thread on Kurt's 68 project and although I wish mine was done, It's nice to have their thread to refer to as my project goes along. Thanks Pat and Kurt! Your thread has been like a bible for anyone doing a Bullitt project!
Hey moderators!!!

Maybe Keepat's thread needs to be made a stickie? Or even put up in the Archieve?

Lots of DIY ideas and methods involved here.

#100 ·
Thanks Greg, Now the pressure is on......Ha! I gotta start posting more often!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.