Stock replacement clutch - Page 2 - IMBOC
IMBOC is proud to partner with Ford Racing

Welcome to the IMBOC forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. If you become a Supporting Member, you will have access to custom avatars, uploading images, personalized Garage listings, a special forum, and more. IMBOC.com is almost entirely user funded, so Supporting Memberships keeps IMBOC running! Registration is fast and simple, and basic membership is absolutely free! So please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us, but please read all of the IMBOC Frequently Asked Questions section first.
Become a Supporting Member. Find Out How!

Old 11-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
Gordon
aka "Gordon"

Mega BullittHead

American Muscle wont ship to the UK unfortunately, I actually use Valeo clutches here, but the part number means nothing to Valeo here.
Might look at the Exedy, my car is supposed to be approx. 430hp [flywheel] so maybe the stage 2 might be a better bet.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #17
Ezekial

PY-Like BullittHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
American Muscle wont ship to the UK unfortunately, I actually use Valeo clutches here, but the part number means nothing to Valeo here.
Might look at the Exedy, my car is supposed to be approx. 430hp [flywheel] so maybe the stage 2 might be a better bet.
Did you try W0133-1704473? That is supposed to the same part number, but for the world rather than just the US.
DHG Bullitt #1986 | non-running 1966 Fastback
Resident IMBOC ridiculer of Mustangs, Cars, and visual modifications.

Ezekial is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #18
Ezekial

PY-Like BullittHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sganow
You might consider the Exedy clutch. I have the Exedy Mach 400 (stage 2) clutch and it has great driveability, very smooth operation, easy pedal effort, and grabs real good. They also make a Mach 350 (stage 1), which is probably very comparable to the stock clutch and would be considered a stock replacement. I've heard nothing but good things about the Exedy Mach 400 though. Several of us here have that clutch and really like it.

You can get a great price on it from American Muscle. American Muscle also offers 5%-6% forum discounts for forum members on a few of the forums. You might contact them to check on a discount code.

BTW, the Exedy clutch kits come with the throwout bearing and pilot bearing. I used the throwout bearing that came with the clutch, but I already had a Ford Racing heavy duty pilot bearing so I used that instead of the pilot bearing that came with the clutch kit. The throwout bearing that came with the clutch looks identical to the Ford Racing throwout bearing that I took out of my car.

I had purchased the Valeo stock replacement clutch listed previously in this thread, but I got screwed because it looked nothing like the one in the pictures posted here. It looked cheap and wimpy. It must have either been mispackaged, or someone put that clutch in the box and returned it instead of the correct clutch. Either way, it was a piece of crap and only lasted me about 4-6 months. After that, I didn't even consider using another Valeo product!

I LOVE my Exedy clutch!
Out, that really sucks. I am sorry you had a bad experience. I ended up buying two as I damaged the disk during install and the disk by itself was backordered. Both kits were identical. In fact, I still have all the parts, minus a disk, I want to get rid of If anyone is interested, I'll make you a good deal on it.

I have been hearing good things about the Exedy on here from a couple other threads.

One final pro-tip. Everything is working pretty good... but I do have some rattling of the clutch fork. I didn't know they should be replaced. You may want to get the fork and ball to ensure you don't have annoying low speed/idle rattles like I do
DHG Bullitt #1986 | non-running 1966 Fastback
Resident IMBOC ridiculer of Mustangs, Cars, and visual modifications.

Ezekial is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:29 AM   #19
Gordon
aka "Gordon"

Mega BullittHead

Just spoke to Valeo Technical UK, gave them both numbers and.......... nothing.
Grrr.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:52 AM   #20
Gordon
aka "Gordon"

Mega BullittHead

Just rang Exedy UK, similar reply.

LSD Motorsports seem to stock Exedy [and on E-bay] and the price doesn't seem a killer, has anyone used them?
Old 02-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #21
Gordon
aka "Gordon"

Mega BullittHead

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...ng?prefilter=1

Anybody used these?
It says stock replacement and comes with both bearings.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #22
dcal
aka "Daniel"
Lifetime Supporting Member

had a zoom clutch before and did not like it... very stiff.

zoom got very poor reviews online when I researched it.
dcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #23
Bullitt02199
aka "Tim"

BullittHead

Zoom, Hayes, and some Ram clutches are very stiff. I have used a lot of clutches including full race clutches over the years. The "Super Hayes" where we mixed and matched a disc and a heavier clamp pressure plate to get the grab back in the late 80's and early 90's was by far the haviest clutch I ever used, but back in the day the friction materials were not what they are today. Also they did not use very many "semi-centrifugal" type weights to apply more force to the disk as rpms went up, so you had to have a really strong clamp force to hold through racing rpm.

Now? It's a different animal altogether with clutches like Exedy, Exedy Twin Disk, McLeod Twin RST and RXT (outstanding product, but pricey). Choose a clutch not just on name though, but precisely what you want it to do, and what you'll EVER want it to do over the life of the clutch. If you plan bolt ons you have to factor that in, and if you go with pressure to the motor you definitely have to be mindful of how much torque that motor will put out. Clutches are rated for FLYWHEEL torque. Horsepower is meaningless as it's the torque that the clutch has to hold.
Tim 2001 Mustang GT Bullitt #2199 (02199) Exedy Mach 400 Clutch, Ford Racing Billet Steel Flywheel
Bullitt02199 is offline   Reply With Quote