Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Oil / Air / Fuel Filters ???

6K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  pwd72s 
#1 ·
I need to get the oil changed in the Bullitt as I bought it used and this will be the first time I will be responsible for having the oil changed.

So based on some paperwork from the dealer, the Oil Filter was changed with maybe a VAL MAXLIFE 5W 20. I have really no idea if this was synthethic or even if that is needed?

It also looks like the AIR FILTER was replaced and it looks like the paperwork also shows K&N RECHARGER (not sure what this was or is).

All of the above changes were made at 8500 miles and I am now at 18,000 miles.

I basically need to know what kind of oil do I need to have put into the car?

Do I need to replace the air filter?

Do I need to replace the fuel filter?

#2 ·
I'm sure there are as many opinions around the internet about oil, oil filters, air and fuel filters as there are hairs on your head.

My thought is that Ford spent a lot of time and research developing specs and materials to make the engine run well so I stay with OEM fluids and filters. I'm always amazed how many people think they know better which fluids their engines need based on nothing but their own opinions and internet info.

The engine came from the factory with Motorcraft semi- symthetic 5w-20 oil. I still use this oil and change it every 5,000 miles or 12 months (I don't drive my Bullitt that much and never in the wet weather). I don't think the type of oil is all that critical as long as it's changed regularly but make sure not to change the weight, 5w-20 is needed for the variable valve timing to work correctly.

The oil filter is also a Motorcraft and available at parts stores and Walmart. The fuel filter and stock air filter can be bought on line from Ford dealers or at your local dealer. I changed both at 20,000 miles.

Just my opinions, take them or leave them as you want.

#3 · (Edited)
OK, opinion time.....

> Oil filter. Use any well built filter. I recommend NOT using a Fram filter. They are bottom of the barrel build quality. I actually watched one grenade on the back straight at VIR. Not a pretty sight.

> Oil. Use a good brand of 5w20 FULL synthetic as required by the car. I'm old school here myself, so every 5k it gets changed.

> Cabin filter. that's easy to access. Inspect and replace as needed

> air filter. since that's an exposed filer, it's easy to see if it needs attention. If it's dirty, either replace or clean (assuming you have a washable filter). When I bought my B, it had the stock filter on it. That got chucked and was replaced by a Green washable filter. After 22k miles, the filter is still in very good shape and I've not cleaned it yet.

> fuel filter. not sure what the change interval is, but I replaced mine at 60k and I can tell you it was past due. Pouring gas backwards out of the filter produced some interesting "stuff".

#4 ·
just for grins and giggles, since you know nothing about the previous owners manntenance, I would replace both the air and fuel filter, and probably the cabin filter as well. I only use motorcraft semi-synthetic 5w-20 and it is replaced a minimum of once a year or every 3-45k miles.... both my bullitts are in the 50k range mileage wise and no issues. also have he anti freeze checked and replaced if necessary.

enjoy and good luck

#6 ·
Take your car to someplace you trust. There's a lot of good independent mechanics out there. Talk to friends about it. There's no way I'd ever go to Jiffylube, but that's just me. I do all my own maintenance.

Cabin air filter is located on the passenger side of the car under the hood. It's under the window cowling. Look here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3Eh1q8ubhQ

easy stuff....

Reactions: Bullittjoe
#7 ·
Chad, this is just my opinion. If you have a local Ford Dealership that you have experience with, I would go to the Ford Owners Site (Ford Owners) and get a coupon for the Works package (some dealers will just give you the discount without it) and have them do the work.

This will provide for a oil/filter change, top off all fluids, tire rotations and overall check of your vehicle. While you are there, they can also check the records for you car to make sure all recalls and/or TSB have been completed.

For the price (after discount), I will not do the work myself and you know for sure that the right oil is used.

Again, hopefully this is a "good" dealership. They are not all equal but if you find a good one it is worth its weight in oil.

Reactions: patriot1136
#8 ·
ford dealers have some great service specials , locally in dfw it is 39.95 for 'the works '= rotate tires , new mtorcraft oil and filter plus check list....the same local ford dealer charges approx 49.95 for fuel filter/ replace.
personally I would do the air and cabin filters myself, it is simple and easy, on ebay they go for 40.00 for air filter and 20.00 bucks for cabin filter shipped... takes no time to replace them.

I agree, no way in hell I would go to any of the quick-lube places locally like jiffy lube etc... they use a cheaper oil filter ( more profit ya know ) and over charge on premium oil... in a moment of weakness last winter, I asked them if I supplied my own oil and filter how muc would they charge...... same pricing ( 45.99 ) as if they used their own stuff , cheap filter and wrong weight bulk oil, .... bah never happen back to Ford dealer for me when i dont do myself.

heres the service specials for ford , scrool down and u can see all of them including the oil change special

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...61846&ef_id=UqFHogAAATnQO1lt:20131206182706:s

#9 ·
I watched that cabin air filter, I can do that.

I just printed the Ford Dealership 'The Works' coupon..which essentially just looks like an synthetic oil change for $39.99. That does not include the air filter and or fuel filter.

Is the air filter in these Bullitt's that really large cone like looking thing that is front right on the engine (if you are standing in front of the car with the hood open)?

How much is an air filter going to replace? How much is a fuel filter going to replace?

#10 · (Edited)
Yes, the air filter is right behind the drivers side headlight.

Look at Rock Auto for parts pricing. The air filter you should be able to do yourself. You should also consider if you want to stay w/ a stock paper filter or buy a washable filter like a Green or K&N. Those run about ~$70 + ~$15 for the cleaning kit. You'll never buy another air filter. As for the fuel filter, figure the price of the filter plus an labor rate. Those depend on where you take it for repair.

I'm going to assume by your responses you haven't spent much time under the hood of a car. That's ok, this is an easy car to work on. Lot's of great advice here and on the S197forums.com. Also lot's of help on youtube and google and can give you a lot of help. Doing stuff yourself always helps to keep some coins in your pocket. Don't be afraid to ask questions and try it yourself. I learned to work on a car when I was young and broke. Now it's my zen to escape server support during the day.

#14 ·
Just ordered a couple air filters. I found that FordRacingParts123 was by far the cheapest both they had very high shipping fees. Ended up ordering from AmericanMuscle because their free shipping resulted in lower cost. Two filters should last me around 10 years since I am still running the original filter. I will pickup a Cabin filter and fuel filter locale.

#15 ·
Thanks fellas for all the offered help. I need to get busy with this as this is my daily driver and I think the oil, air filter (not sure though because it's a stronger engine than I am used to) and probably fuel filter should be replaced. I don't even know where to go to buy these or should I go online?

I have just always taken my vehicle to a local jiffy lube, which was fine by me because I had a 4 cylinder engine before this mustang and 6 cyl Explorers before that. I don't know how to change anything on any car. Although, I did put a new battery in this Bullitt a while back. I think I could change out the cabin air filter.

#17 ·
I have just always taken my vehicle to a local jiffy lube, which was fine by me because I had a 4 cylinder engine before this mustang and 6 cyl Explorers before that. I don't know how to change anything on any car. Although, I did put a new battery in this Bullitt a while back. I think I could change out the cabin air filter.
If you can replace the battery you should not have any issues with the cabin filter or air filter.

The fuel filter is a different matter as it requires a special tool to release the clips.

Time to 'get your feet wet' and go for it. Try the cabin and air filter and once you figure out that it is not hard then you can start looking at doing some of your own work. If you have any questions or issues on how to do something, just ask and someone will provide help.

#16 ·
TASCA FORD 1-800-915-3141 CALL THEM and they can do your fuel filter and cabin filter with the air fitler and free shipping

air filter 40.00 and free shipping here :http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-O...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4173bed488&vxp=mtr

fuel filter 24.00 and free shipping : http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-O...|Submodel:Bullitt&hash=item41694b20cd&vxp=mtr

cabin air filter 23.00 and free shipping : http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-O...|Submodel:Bullitt&hash=item416fe1262f&vxp=mtr

#19 ·
I changed my fuel filter a month or so ago and the 10 mm and a flat blade screwdriver was the extent of the tools that i needed. The clamps are neat yet there should be instructions on this site if you search, for how to release and then re-apply these. This job took me under an hour for the first time changing it.

The gunk that poured out was really staggering, others on this site call out the ethanol in fuel as part of the issue here

#20 ·
This is real nice guys! Aggie, that's one thing I've always loved about all the Mustangs I've had over my life. They are really easy to work on. There are sometimes some pretty difficult things, but as long as you take your time, and are gentle with the plastic parts on these new ones, you should be fine doing these items. Oil changes can get a little messy, and you need a pan to dump in and a few tools like a oil filter wrench and a ratchet, socket, and wrench that fits the drain plug to oil pan, and a few rags to clean up the seating surfaces where the oil filter mates, and the drain plug gasket seat...aw, and your hands! hehe :smile:

The filters are fairly easy. Now the fuel filter is a bit more of a challenge, but once you've seen it done, it's really not all that bad. Don't let the big bad modular 4.6 scare you under there. They are fun to work on, and it's rewarding too. You can also control exactly how you do things. I'm picky about spills. The dealers are careful to clean things up if they get a drip or spills, but these QuickLubes are all about speed and they'll wipe stuff up, but not really get stuff back clean, and my Bullitt is very clean.

You guys are awesome for helping. I hope aggie has fun fixing her up.

Tim :b01: #2199

#22 ·
Sorry to hear the B is gone. What replaced it? Suggest to the new owner to check out this site!

#23 ·
LT here,
I use Mobile 1 5/20 Synthetic oil in my Bullitt. I also use a K%W filter because of the 1 inch nut on top of the filter which enables me to get it off rather easily.
I change the oil every 7,000 miles or six months depending which comes first.
I use a green filter. I have not cleaned it yet. It is still very clean.
My Bullitt is 3374. I have 22,300 on the odometer.
Trust you will enjoy your ride for a long time.
LT.

#24 ·
you can't beat the price for a Ford dealer oil change and you have the best filter and ford documentation. NO, all filters are not created equally. There is a huge difference. Motorcraft filters have the relief valve located at the best location. Don't go anywhere near generic oil filters such as Valvoline or others.Synthetic blend is ok but if you want to really protect the vehicle use 5w 20 synthetic or 5w 30 synthetic. Amsoil, Pennzoil, Quaker state are three of the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.