Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Modern Bullitt Charger build

120K views 940 replies 56 participants last post by  bullit4404 
#1 ·
I started the restoration of my 1968 Dodge Charger with a plan to build a modern Bullitt. The outside of the car will look like the movie car with exception to the wheels, tires and a lower stances.
I’m planning on a set of one off 17” wheels to match the look of the hubcaps use on the Bullitt Charger. This will allow larger brakes and wider tires. This hubcap was made to look like a mag wheel and now
I’m going to have a wheel made to look like a hubcap. The motor will be a gen III Hemi 6.4 or the new Hellcat if it would fit under the stock hood? And a 6 speed manual trans. I have a lot of details to work out but for now
I will bag and tag the parts and get the car media blasted.
Thanks
Pat

This how car looked when I bought it a 1 ½ years ago.

And now the parts start coming off!

See less See more
#251 ·
very cool...wish I could have done something like that when I was in HS!!!

#255 ·
wow, once again, your talent is unbelievable. that looks fantastic!!!!!

#256 ·
This is the shifter that came with the T56 and I would like to find an original 1968 T handle shifter that I can modified the T handle to trigger a relay for the reverse lockout on the new trans. If anyone has one or knows where to get one please let me know. I’ll check at Carlisle in a few weeks.
Thanks
Pat

#257 ·
that looks good. are you talking about an original Hurst T Handle?

#259 ·
I recall those brown knobs..a plastic fake wood. had one on my swinger 340. it didn't have the reverse release on it as I recall. I know what you mean though...I think.

#260 ·
#261 ·
Test fit the hood today to check the clearance for the air cleaner and was happy to see there is 2 ½” at the front throttlebody and 3 ½” at the rear throttlebody. My earlier estimates were at about 2 3/8” and where an 1/8” more may not sound like much, it is a lot! Before ordering the modern-man Indy intake I could not find any info on the hood clearance other than the folks at Indy saying it will fit. Not sure it if would be the same with the stock K member?
Thanks
Pat

#262 ·
that's great. one less headache!!!!!!!!!!!!

#265 ·
Today I started fitting the backseat to see what modifications would be needed to fit the min-tubs. Both inter wheel wells have been moved inboard about 2 ½” each. After the 1st test fit I was pleasantly surprised to find very little modifications would be required, and most importantly the stock seat cover could be used!

The seat needed no modification as the seat frame cleared the wheel well.

The two tabs at the bottom of each wheel well needed to be moved to their original location. The tabs hold the seat back down.

These two metal rods need to be moved in about 1 ½” on each side to clear the wheel well.

Here you can see the 2 rods moved and the original rod to show the difference.

Fits great just need new black seat covers.
Thanks
Pat

#266 ·
very nice!!! great that it took so little to make it work.

#269 ·
I picked up an aluminum air cleaner from Chris with Classic Haulage at Carlisle PA yesterday. Chris is a nice guy and he makes a great aluminum Hemi type air cleaner. A chrome plated repro of the original steel air cleaner is now available but as my motor is all aluminum I keep the aluminum theme. I need to make a custom filter base and get a 426 Hemi Head air cleaner sticker to finish the look.
Thanks
Pat

#270 ·
very nice indeed!!!!

#272 ·
I removed the fenders and doors for the 1st time since the factory installed them in 1968. One of the things that attracted me to this car is it has all of its original body panels and has never been in an accident! The doors, fenders, trunk, hood, and a few other parts will go to the soda blaster Monday and the hinges will get shipped to SMS to be rebuilt. Interesting to find that the left and right fender had the same size shims with exception of 1 additional 1/16 shim on the bottom right rocker.
Thanks
Pat

#273 ·
very nice. should make for a very nice final product with those attributes.

#275 ·
I received the Vintage Air system and fit the air handler on the firewall so I can mark the existing hole that I don’t need. The system comes with large plate to cover up the hole on the engine side but I plan on welding the holes and not using the plate.
Thanks
Pat

#276 ·
cool!!!!! literally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#278 ·
The plan is to make some custom AC lines and run them in the right side fender well. But before I can start on the line I need to fit the US Car Tool inter fender brace. The fit was close but needed a little modification to fit great.

The problem with the fit was the factory welded the shock tower brace 3/8” forward from where it should be. To get the new brace to fit I cut about 3/8” off the front edge of the factory brace so the it would let the new brace slide back to meet the firewall and cowl.

Just a few screw to hold it in place and will weld it on with jack stand under the frame rails at the wheels. You can see how far off the factory mount is off in the last picture, I will re-cut the arch to match before welding.
Thanks
Pat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.