LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 3122
Garage
Things you learned out of driving school

I just watched LLTVís YouTube of the auction and cringed when Sean, sitting in Bullitt, rested his elbow on the door for a moment. My father was sitting at a red light on a hot summer night in south Louisiana, windows down and arm hanging out the car, when a truck took the corner too wide and sideswiped his car on the driverís side. After being a bombardier over France and Germany during WWII and coming home without a scratch, he lost his left arm above the elbow a few years later in peacetime. No one considered him handicapped. I have his Louisiana champion skeet medals. He bagged his limit hunting and fishing. He could turn a corner and shift from first to second at the same time. He had major success with the women (a big reason my parentsí marriage broke up). He could do pretty much anything. However, he was no longer the golf pro at the local country club and he couldnít put on his right cufflink. But.... growing up, if we stuck any part of our anatomies out a car window, we got smacked. I still donít. Drivers ed doesnít teach this but one-armed parents sure do.

Other lessons from him: cops with radar like overpasses. Donít look at oncoming headlights when driving in the dark, itíll ruin your night vision for awhile plus there is a tendency to steer where you are looking. And he taught me how to drive a stick shift, I took drivers ed the first year it was taught on automatic transmissions.

Iíve violated the Ďnever pick up hitchhikersí rule a couple times because they had dogs with them. The last hitchhiker I picked up, 35 years ago, was a skinny little hard-faced female in Fayetteville, NC, because it was sleeting and she had on a thin jacket. Iím sitting there at a red light in a warm car watching her shiver and I couldnít stand it. I gave her a ride to her trailer and she was so very relieved because it was the one time she had forgotten to bring her knife and gun. Yow.

--
I had the right to remain silent... but I didn't have the ability.
-Ron White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 12:12 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
Nice bit of writing there...and an enjoyable read. Thanks!
FarmerDon and bullit4404 like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 10:13 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
Today, having a straight drive creates an immediate anti-theft device. This is something that has not been taught in years and very few younger folks know how to drive one. Heck, a lot of parents do now know how to drive one so they can't teach their kids.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 10:29 AM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Good writing Marguerite. The other thing that drives me crazy is people who put their feet up on the dash. In a crash, the air bags will break your legs and more. Don't do it!
pwd72s likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 04:46 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01152
Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullit4404 View Post
Good writing Marguerite. The other thing that drives me crazy is people who put their feet up on the dash. In a crash, the air bags will break your legs and more. Don't do it!
Their legs are broken and they submarine under the seat belt into the footwell! Then it's double hard to extract them from the passenger compartment. Darwin principle at work.
bullit4404 likes this.

My name is David J. Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me that. You can call me David. Or you can call me David J. Or you can call me David Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me David J. Midgley....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 04:50 PM

Garage
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite View Post
I just watched LLTVís YouTube of the auction and cringed when Sean, sitting in Bullitt, rested his elbow on the door for a moment. My father was sitting at a red light on a hot summer night in south Louisiana, windows down and arm hanging out the car, when a truck took the corner too wide and sideswiped his car on the driverís side. After being a bombardier over France and Germany during WWII and coming home without a scratch, he lost his left arm above the elbow a few years later in peacetime. No one considered him handicapped. I have his Louisiana champion skeet medals. He bagged his limit hunting and fishing. He could turn a corner and shift from first to second at the same time. He had major success with the women (a big reason my parentsí marriage broke up). He could do pretty much anything. However, he was no longer the golf pro at the local country club and he couldnít put on his right cufflink. But.... growing up, if we stuck any part of our anatomies out a car window, we got smacked. I still donít. Drivers ed doesnít teach this but one-armed parents sure do.

Other lessons from him: cops with radar like overpasses. Donít look at oncoming headlights when driving in the dark, itíll ruin your night vision for awhile plus there is a tendency to steer where you are looking. And he taught me how to drive a stick shift, I took drivers ed the first year it was taught on automatic transmissions.

Iíve violated the Ďnever pick up hitchhikersí rule a couple times because they had dogs with them. The last hitchhiker I picked up, 35 years ago, was a skinny little hard-faced female in Fayetteville, NC, because it was sleeting and she had on a thin jacket. Iím sitting there at a red light in a warm car watching her shiver and I couldnít stand it. I gave her a ride to her trailer and she was so very relieved because it was the one time she had forgotten to bring her knife and gun. Yow.
I worked with a fella that lost his elbow to a sideswipe. He still had his arm, but the joint was gone.

Old hitchhiker joke:

I stopped and picked up a hitch hiker. After a while he said that he thought I was brave. Because he could have been some murderer. I said, "Not likely, what are the chances there would be two killers in one car?"

My name is David J. Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me that. You can call me David. Or you can call me David J. Or you can call me David Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me David J. Midgley....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 09:02 PM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 19
Bullitt Color: Shadow Black
As a young man I learned that if you come home (to your parents home) at 3AM very drunk in a snow storm in Buffalo and skillfully slide your car onto the front lawn, get it stuck in the snow and decide it's best to just leave it there and go to bed - your Dad will very rudely awaken you a few hours later and demand that you GET YOUR DAMN CAR OFF THE LAWN NOW! NOW!!!! The actual language much worse.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 3122
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullit4404 View Post
A casual friend was slouched down in the back seat with his knees up against the back of the front passenger seat when they were in a minor wreck. He was the only one with any injury at all, his spine snapped somewhere near his waist. Never heard how he healed up, but when I was visiting him in the hospital just before I went into the Navy, he was in a Stryker frame being turned like bbq on a spit.

Anther lesson: If Shotgun says go, donít do it. Look for yourself. We were t-boned, the car totaled (a 1966 Chevy II station wagon, stick shift of course), and we both had headaches from banging into each otherís hard heads. Nowadays, Terry is always Ďhelpfulí and I always resist saying, ďMove your head, itís in my way.Ē I donít go until I see what is coming from all directions. Anyway, I was charged with running a stop sign, went before the judge and surrendered my license for some amount of time. I went off to boot camp about a week later so it wasnít a big deal at all until I came home on leave. My younger sister had been using my returned license to get into bars and refused to give it back!

--
I had the right to remain silent... but I didn't have the ability.
-Ron White
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 08:51 AM

Garage
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite View Post
A casual friend was slouched down in the back seat with his knees up against the back of the front passenger seat when they were in a minor wreck. He was the only one with any injury at all, his spine snapped somewhere near his waist. Never heard how he healed up, but when I was visiting him in the hospital just before I went into the Navy, he was in a Stryker frame being turned like bbq on a spit.

Anther lesson: If Shotgun says go, donít do it. Look for yourself. We were t-boned, the car totaled (a 1966 Chevy II station wagon, stick shift of course), and we both had headaches from banging into each otherís hard heads. Nowadays, Terry is always Ďhelpfulí and I always resist saying, ďMove your head, itís in my way.Ē I donít go until I see what is coming from all directions. Anyway, I was charged with running a stop sign, went before the judge and surrendered my license for some amount of time. I went off to boot camp about a week later so it wasnít a big deal at all until I came home on leave. My younger sister had been using my returned license to get into bars and refused to give it back!
As having been an operating room scrub nurse in the Army back in the 70s, I'd say your casual friend was crippled in some way or another for the remainder of his life. It happens, people don't believe it'll happen to them, but it does! I scrubbed on many cases of traffic accident repair during my tour of Germany.
Marguerite likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode