• 6 Post By chitownson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: TB
Bullitt Serialized Number: 05019
My son's ex Bullitt 2588 totaled

My son traded his 01 Bullitt in for a used Z06 Corvette a couple months back. He found this post last night. The new owner totaled it.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pts/6141869765.html

TB Bullitt #5019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 01:27 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
And another one bites the dust...sad.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

PY-Like BullittHead

Yeah, Eric really took good care of that car. As you could see from the picture of it in the service bay at the dealership. He's really bummed! Now he's saying he shouldn't have traded it. He was asking me if he should see if he could buy it back from the guy and if I thought it would be too much to fix it. I told him it looks like a lot of structural front end damage and I don't think it's worth trying to fix it.

TB Bullitt #5019

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 01:50 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 04439
Damn that sucks. Sure looks like he was going faster than 30. Mudflaps are still good.

66k miles. 5.0 shifter, drop in K&N, 17x8 black bullitts, DHG pony in grille

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

PY-Like BullittHead

Yeah it does look like more than a 30 mph crash. Maybe 30 mph (+) under full throttle!

TB Bullitt #5019
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

PY-Like BullittHead

Yeah, maybe anyone interested in any good parts should contact the guy before it's too late.

TB Bullitt #5019
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

PY-Like BullittHead

Eric wanted to buy this car back and try to fix it. After he bought it and it was delivered to his house, he realized it had more damage than the insurance estimate showed. He should have tried to look at the car before he bought it back. He doesn't know if he's going to keep it and try to save it, or if he's going to end up parting it out. Poor kid! He should have just let it go. He's very emotional and his emotions got the best of him. I think if he knew someone that could do work pretty cheap for him, he could fix it over time and save it. But to pay full shop prices, it would be very costly. Like the guy that has done work for us before said, "Anything is fixable, just depends how much you want to spend.". If he decides to part it out, we will post on here to let everyone know.

TB Bullitt #5019
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 02:15 PM
Car Whisperer

Bullitt Year: No Bullitt
Bullitt Color: No Bullitt
Bullitt Serialized Number: 9999
that's too bad. maybe he can do some of it himself and let the big stuff get done.

was Frankenstang Bullitt #4923

Two defining forces died for you. Jesus Christ died for your soul. The American Soldier died for your freedom.

"It's a lot easier to pacify a country when it's citizens can't shoot back" Gray Anderson, Mayor, "Jericho"

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him had better take a closer look at the U.S. Native-American Indian."

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 05:01 PM

You Broke the Server!

Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 03549
Garage
Maybe finding a local car with a blown engine and bad seats and do a parts swap

Konis,Eibach sportlines,MM caster camber plates,MM X adjustable lower control arms,MGW Shifter,Alum driveshaft,Mac Prochamber,Mach chin spoiler,19" Forged wheels with BFG 255/295
Best 1/4mile Vortech V1 [email protected]
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 05:33 PM
BEST BULLITT Nats 06

Bullitt Serialized Number: 00344
Hi Steve,

I had down on the registry as #2588 totaled quite some time ago. Is your son's Bullitt black?

So it looks/sounds like that Bullitt has been in a couple of wrecks.

~VICKI~

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 08:40 PM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0130
For some reasons the pictures are blocked on my computer. But, I bought a totaled Bullitt so let me tell you my experience. First off,how bad does he want to fix it? Can he picture himself driving it again? Is he one to finish what he sets his mind to? I towed my wreck to a body shop that told me I made a mistake buying it and forget about fixing it, it was a waste. My wife told me that shop was wrong and convinced me we could do it if I was determined. She was right. She stood by me for a year as I tore it down, saved our money to buy part by part and helped me find people who shared our vision and helped us put the car back together.

What are your son's skills? Does he have tools and a place to work on it? Is he willing to learn? Does he want the car fixed bad enough to drill out hundreds of sheet metal spot welds and tow the car from place to place to get the frame aligned, weld any supports if he can't weld, etc. etc? If he will always regret not trying to fix the car, then he should fix it. If the thought of working on it past midnight often doesn't appeal to him, forget it.

If he decides on the project, my advice is:

1) Get a Ford Mustang tech Manual.
2) Take the car apart piece by piece. (Don't mess with the unibody parts, leave that to a bodyshop unless you know what your doing. The tech manual will tell you what's unibody.) Take pictures as you disassemble. Tag and number all parts in ziplock bags. Don't throw out the old part until you put the new part on the car. Write wiring, fastener, left/right notes with magic marker on the old part. Helps for fitment comparison and reassembly.
3) Tag and number all wires and hoses on both sides of connections with painter's tape as you disconnect. Helps when you're re-wiring and can't remember what's what.
4) Make friends with e-bay, junkyards, ford websites, Craigslist and mustang clubs. Ask anybody and everybody for advice and offer beer for help. I asked around and checked the web and found local people with Bullitts who came over and let me look at a straight car to get measurements, check fasteners, wiring, drive train assembly, etc. They were into helping and invaluable.
5) Shop your pictures of your wreck to every body shop you can think of. Ask if they can help and or just give advice. I had two body shops who let me down, but we eventually found someone to help. We saved money by my removing all the damaged parts we could ourselves, towing the car to a body shop who straightened the unibody ($550) towed the car home, I then re-assembled the car including all the new body parts, in my garage and then got the car to a body man to paint.
6) Make friends with a mechanic who can diagnose computer stuff - diagnose/ reset airbag components, etc.

Its time consuming and not easy. There were a few times I drove through the neighborhood at night with a half finished car to get motivation, but if he wants it bad enough to persevere, it'll happen. Our bullitt's my daily driver now. I'm often driving to work smiling from ear.

Last edited by chitownson; 09-19-2017 at 08:48 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

PY-Like BullittHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoStangWmn View Post
I had down on the registry as #2588 totaled quite some time ago. Is your son's Bullitt black?

So it looks/sounds like that Bullitt has been in a couple of wrecks.
It was only totaled once a few months ago. Eric traded it for his Corvette, then very shortly after that the guy totaled it. Eric bought it back from that guy's insurance company and it has been sitting in his driveway under a cover ever since. He works too much to really work on it right now. Really, he shouldn't have bought it because he doesn't have the time to work on it, and he would have to have most of it done by someone else anyway because he doesn't have the skills or knowledge to fix it.

TB Bullitt #5019
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

PY-Like BullittHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownson View Post
For some reasons the pictures are blocked on my computer. But, I bought a totaled Bullitt so let me tell you my experience. First off,how bad does he want to fix it? Can he picture himself driving it again? Is he one to finish what he sets his mind to? I towed my wreck to a body shop that told me I made a mistake buying it and forget about fixing it, it was a waste. My wife told me that shop was wrong and convinced me we could do it if I was determined. She was right. She stood by me for a year as I tore it down, saved our money to buy part by part and helped me find people who shared our vision and helped us put the car back together.

What are your son's skills? Does he have tools and a place to work on it? Is he willing to learn? Does he want the car fixed bad enough to drill out hundreds of sheet metal spot welds and tow the car from place to place to get the frame aligned, weld any supports if he can't weld, etc. etc? If he will always regret not trying to fix the car, then he should fix it. If the thought of working on it past midnight often doesn't appeal to him, forget it.

If he decides on the project, my advice is:

1) Get a Ford Mustang tech Manual.
2) Take the car apart piece by piece. (Don't mess with the unibody parts, leave that to a bodyshop unless you know what your doing. The tech manual will tell you what's unibody.) Take pictures as you disassemble. Tag and number all parts in ziplock bags. Don't throw out the old part until you put the new part on the car. Write wiring, fastener, left/right notes with magic marker on the old part. Helps for fitment comparison and reassembly.
3) Tag and number all wires and hoses on both sides of connections with painter's tape as you disconnect. Helps when you're re-wiring and can't remember what's what.
4) Make friends with e-bay, junkyards, ford websites, Craigslist and mustang clubs. Ask anybody and everybody for advice and offer beer for help. I asked around and checked the web and found local people with Bullitts who came over and let me look at a straight car to get measurements, check fasteners, wiring, drive train assembly, etc. They were into helping and invaluable.
5) Shop your pictures of your wreck to every body shop you can think of. Ask if they can help and or just give advice. I had two body shops who let me down, but we eventually found someone to help. We saved money by my removing all the damaged parts we could ourselves, towing the car to a body shop who straightened the unibody ($550) towed the car home, I then re-assembled the car including all the new body parts, in my garage and then got the car to a body man to paint.
6) Make friends with a mechanic who can diagnose computer stuff - diagnose/ reset airbag components, etc.

Its time consuming and not easy. There were a few times I drove through the neighborhood at night with a half finished car to get motivation, but if he wants it bad enough to persevere, it'll happen. Our bullitt's my daily driver now. I'm often driving to work smiling from ear.
Thank you for the advice!

TB Bullitt #5019

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode