Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Spare Wheel

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  brasil 
#1 ·
I've just bought #1417 and am thinking that a spare wheel would be a good idea! So, two questions. Does anyone have a standard 2008/09 road wheel in great condition that they want to sell (you can PM if you like)?

Is anyone aware of an 18" steel wheel rim that will provide clearance and be suitable for "spare duty"? My intention with a steel rim, will be to produce an identical rolling radius to a standard alloy road wheel assembly.

#4 ·
Yes, I agree. I've just ordered a new OE spec alloy wheel rim.

What is everyone using for a boot tool kit? I have found what appears to be a genuine Ford kit but this is for a 1994 – 2004 model (part number LRS-17080-KIT). I was hoping to find an S197 being parted out and get the original jack and tool roll from that, but I am in New Zealand and we don't see these being wrecked very often. I can use anything in the meantime, but I'm keen to have an OE setup as my permanent gear. Anyone have anything?

#7 ·
This will work for an emergency, on the front only. Just realize that if you have a flat on the rear you need to change two tires. Put the spare on the front and move the front tire to the rear.

This is due to the limited slip rear-end. If you had two different tires (as in height) on the rear, it would cause the rear-end to have to compensate for the different speeds of the two rear wheel causing excessive wear to the rear-end.

#9 ·
WARNING..... the "fix-a-flat" that was provided with the 08/09 Bullitt expired, long ago. Also, read the owners manual, they warn the owners that the fix-a-flat can damage the tire pressure sensors.

When I travel, I put one of the small temporary spares in my Bullitt. Hopefully, any flat will be on the front but if it happens on the rear, then I will have to change two tires. When I am driving local, I have roadside service that will haul the car to a tire shop, if necessary. When on the road, you really need a spare of some kind.

That is the way it is with Ford's BETTER IDEA

#11 ·
Another option. It is the height that matters, not width. Try to find a tire that has the about same height (same, or close to the same RPM (Revolution Per Minute)). It can have a smaller width to make the trunk panel fit better.

I am still mad at Ford to not including a spare. Any car I purchase in the future must have a spare as part of the purchase deal. We will see how much the dealership wants my business.

#12 ·
Since the earlier rear diffs. are clutch type limited slips, they act like an open diff. when cruising, so a slightly smaller wheel and tire won't hurt for short distances. I have a 225/55/17 tire on a 17" aluminum wheel, and it fits right in the tire well. Will not clear brembo front brakes, but stock ones no problem.

#16 ·
Thanks for this. Shortly after buying my '09, I went to a local wrecked-em yard and bought the donut spare, jack, lug wrench, all the bits and pieces from an '08GT. Always thought I'd need to change 2 if the flat was on the back. Nice to know I won't.

Best of all, I've never used the set-up. It seems to be a law of the road...you'll never need a spare part you carry. I carry a spare fan belt and other bits and pieces...nice to know I'll never need them. ;)

#15 ·
Hallo Jürgen,

vllt. bin ich mit der Antwort zu spät, egal.
Ich hatte genau diese Abmessungen für Felge und Reifen. Habe aber Reifen geändert.
Rad passt genau in Mulde, sieht jetzt so aus:

Felge ist wie die Beschriebene. Allerdings ist der Lochkreis nicht 114,3 mm sondern 115,0 mm. Ich habe sie montiert, men spürt etwas die 0,7 mm, aber ich denke für den Notfall geht das, die Radbolzen werden etwas nachgeben.

Als Reifen habe ich einen 145/80-18 gefunden, fast identischer Durchmesser, aber viel schmaler und dadurch besser für die Mulde.

Hoffe ich konnte helfen

Gruß
Ewald

#17 ·
...114.3 mm is a BMW size... right ? I know that some Mustang Owners use these wheels...but in my opinion this is only a temporary fix . ... I will try to find a 18 inch Bullitt style wheel with 235/50/18 - so if one tire gets flat- the "spare " will take me down the road until the end of the world:smile2:

Greetings Juergen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.