48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 08:25 PM

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: Black
Bullitt Serialized Number: 5030
Garage
Bullitt at Buttonwillow

Back in 2005, I screwed my courage up a few notches, and did a Green Flag track day at Buttonwillow.
I'd had the Bullitt now for three years, and did the Skip Barber Racing School at Laguna Seca just two years before the Bullitt arrived, I just had to run it at the track.

As usual, the new Hawk brake pads I'd purchased a week earlier had not been installed, but I'm thinking, hey, they would go on the night before we left......

Noooooo, too tired to put the on Friday night, but I figured, Hey, I've got half the pad there, those should last two or three sessions..... and of course, I woke up late on Saturday morning...

So we ran it as it was. My son, who was 15 at the time, would video tape me from the race tower, as I ran my sessions (insert FUN here...)

I ran the first session, then sat the next one out to get rid of the "shakes" from nerves (the thought of going off course with the daily driver was on my mind, and how I was going to explain that to my insurance agent.....)

So about half way through the second session, people started pointing at a big truck trailer rig coming into the paddock.
Non other than Vic Edlebrock! We didn't hear anything for a while, then the place shook when the '70 Mustang Trans Am came to life!

My next session happened to coincide with Cammy(?) Edlebrock coming up behind me and passing with that black and gold Camaro. I remember as she went by me that my helmet visor vibrated with the exhaust! Wow!!

Of course the fun part of that day was trying to master the 3 mile course, getting around the Star Mazda hairpin without spinning out, and staying ahead of the M3& M5 BMW's.

At the end of the track time, as I was putting my new Hawk pads on the front axle (as I'd used every bit of the pad and part of the backing plate up), a couple of the BMW drivers came by and asked what I'd done to the Bullitt.... They said they could get close to me, but they couldn't get around me, even in the corners.....

THAT made the day for me!

Gotta go back again soon!
tossass4370 and bullit4404 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:37 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
I can now report that my '09 safely made it's weekly run to out favorite pool hall and back home. Nothing exciting to write about. That is, unless one considers being constantly held up as one truck slooowly passed another on a 2 lane section of interstate. I call those "truck races". I try to not get angry..just guys trying to make a living. It's the Sammy slow safes who insist on driving slower than the limit in the left lane who get my goat.

I'll be rewarding the faithful thing with a nice wash/wax and good street level detail before too long.
bullit4404 likes this.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:48 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01118
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
I'll be rewarding the faithful thing with a nice wash/wax and good street level detail before too long.

Let me know when you are ready to have it taken off your hands!

I am hoping to get my '09 next week, but if not, it will be out for the Somernites Cruise- in Somerset, KY. I found a driver to get it down there while I take the '01.
bullit4404 likes this.

Tony Alonso
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt - black, #1118, VIN 1FAFP42X21F213026
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt - highland green, #6323, VIN 1ZVHT82H995129122
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt - dark highland green, K1254, VIN 1FA6P8K06K5500726

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 01:16 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebb View Post
twelve years and counting since I purchased my Bullitt.

A LOT has changed in automotive performance since DHG205 rolled off the lot. While I imagine myself 'performance driving' on a daily basis the truth is that my driving is never more than 'mildly spirited'...this in a world of 450+ HP computer controlled motors mated to computer controlled transmissions spinning all four wheels each mated to computer controlled suspensions. Yes, my Bullitt is positively antiquated. In a delightful way.

Here's the fun part.

Once in a while a 911 owner or an M owner or a Tesla owner, all piloting cars that far outperform my Bullitt will assume that my Mustang like all Mustangs can only go in straight lines. And while my stock suspension is thoroughly piggish through the curves I can still manage to surprise them which refutes their automotive religion...wait, what? This CAN'T happen! That dirty Mustang CANNOT slip through the curves ahead of me!

Don't get me wrong, those supercars are all amazing and I have a great appreciation for them. But I'll stick with my Bullitt.
It is the DRIVER of the antiquated but solid and tested mechanicals! Technology and high horsepower can help an operator. One has to learn to be a DRIVER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullit4404 View Post
I consider my 08 a bit of a "blunt instrument." I'm thinking I may put a set of adjustable shocks, a better alignment set up, the"Steve Cougar" front brake upgrade, and some Michelin 4S tires. The dynamics of the chassis are quite good and I'll put 4404 up against most cars on a twisty road.
BLLTT is road tripping 1000 miles to go gallop with Mohawk Track Experience at Gingerman. Lots of new technology rides will be there. But with BLLTT's DRIVER, they will have to earn the pass by. And BLLTT will be DRIVEN to earn pass by from them.
Yup, a modified blunt instrument, great for cruising, road trips (91k+ miles) and road courses (50+ days, 9 tracks). DRIVEN!
Enjoying every moment driving BLLTT.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:37 PM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 19
Bullitt Color: Shadow Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by tossass4370 View Post
It is the DRIVER of the antiquated but solid and tested mechanicals! Technology and high horsepower can help an operator. One has to learn to be a DRIVER.

BLLTT is road tripping 1000 miles to go gallop with Mohawk Track Experience at Gingerman. Lots of new technology rides will be there. But with BLLTT's DRIVER, they will have to earn the pass by. And BLLTT will be DRIVEN to earn pass by from them.
Yup, a modified blunt instrument, great for cruising, road trips (91k+ miles) and road courses (50+ days, 9 tracks). DRIVEN!
Enjoying every moment driving BLLTT.
Your first time at Gingerman?
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:00 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
Talking

Hold on there, before you head out on that track. Those things have the solid rear axle. It CAN'T go around turns. They are only good for straight lines!!!!! How many times have you heard that line or more often seen it written in some magazine by someone with NO experience.

Seems we have a few people here that can't read ( ) or don't care.

bullit4404 likes this.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:07 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 04439
Quote:
Originally Posted by #94 View Post
A few of us have been there before. Here is Bill from FL, Steve from KS, and me from TX having a little fun at Gingerman

66k miles. 5.0 shifter, drop in K&N, 17x8 black bullitts, DHG pony in grille

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 0205
Garage
The much maligned...and even more misunderstood...solid rear axle S197.

We've heard it all before from a thousand self-assured if not condescending sources...(Our) Mustangs can't turn and if you try then the car is sure to careen wildly off the road.

These misinformed critics are typically not car enthusiasts but badge warriors ever busy propping-up their favorite badge, be it BMW or Porsche or Subaru, etc with 1000% emotional investment leaving zero room for anything...including facts...that might challenge their faith-based beliefs.

The results below are tantamount to heresy among these zealots. Proof that the S197 can perform through the turns. A reality that simply cannot exist in their universe.

In the end I'm a Mustang lover but not a badge warrior. The Mustang is not without its shortcomings but I can live with that AND still have room for other every great car in my 'like' category.

Joe Foster, 2008 Grand-Am champ and former coach, driver and race team owner with Patrick Dempsey talks how they made the 2010 302 R competitive against IRS competitors https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ang-race-cars/

Motortrend tests 2011 Mustang GT vs. 2011 MBW M3 at Buttonwillow with Randy Pobst behind the wheel of both and the results are shocking...for Mustang haters.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/...m3-comparison/

Roush Mustangs (yes plural) win the BMW 200 at Daytona beating out a pack of BMWs and Porches among others.
https://www.fordmuscle.com/event-cov...p-and-gallery/
73Mach1 and bullit4404 like this.

Last edited by cwebb; 08-19-2019 at 07:17 PM.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 01:53 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 5389
Garage
This one was always my favorite.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...parison-tests/
cwebb likes this.

08 Bullitt 538913 Ford Focus ST00 Roush Cougar

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:56 AM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by #94 View Post
Apologize for post delay, just got home Tuesday night from a GREAT road trip to Gingerman and then unplanned Detroit Mustang Alley and Mustang Memories extension.

3rd time at Gingerman with the Mohawk Track Experience and first time for 2 solid days. Paul runs a great event! Very much worth the 1050 mile run from N FL!

The 08 Bullitt is now old technology and the 01 Bullitt is antique. It takes a DRIVER to compete with the new computer controlled high HP on the road course. The computer makes a beginner into an intermediate with minimal seat time. And the higher HP makes them a beginner a drag champ on the straights and the computer saves their butts on the curves.

So, Brad and I had FUN with our antiques. Braking and diving deeper into turns, hitting the apex later and tracking out faster. More focus. Learned DRIVING skill.

Until Brad (unmodified 01 Bullitt) was kicked out of Beginner class on day 2 to Intermediate, my BLLTT (modified 0 was the lowest HP in Intermediate. We had fun together! Yup, we were quick to throw the point by at the passing zones. But at the curves, by braking later and diving deeper, kept with them at bay until the passing zones.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

Garage
Yeah in modern performance cars there is a point at which the driver can become more of a passenger along for the ride as a host of onboard computers receive the driver’s steering, acceleration and braking then say “Thanks for your input but we’ll take it from here.”
tossass4370 likes this.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:52 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 03004
Garage
What suspension mods are you making?
Enjoyed your message!
Hopefully I will also be proud to own a 2008/9 Bullitt as well.
Thank you for the message...we DRIVE a car vs. RIDE in a car (in driver' seat).

Gunnar "Hayward" Christiansen
Anacortes Washington USA
"Gretta" = SN-95 Bullitt #03004
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
cwebb, yep..our cars had air cooling in common. When Porsche went to water cooling, it kind of killed it for me. Figure if I had to go that route, might as well go with a car company that always used water cooling. So, thus the Bullitt, my first and probably only Mustang. Besides, I always like Green. Here's a pic of the old 911S before it headed off to Istanbul. Yes, that's original "Irish Green" old style enamel paint..
That's a beauty! Love that color. Yeah, the air-cooled 911's are it for me. The 911 became a very different car in a lot of ways with the advent of the 996. A great car to be sure just not as much a car for me.

Anyway, Here's a pic of my former 993.

pwd72s and bullit4404 like this.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.turtle View Post
What suspension mods are you making?
Enjoyed your message!
Hopefully I will also be proud to own a 2008/9 Bullitt as well.
Thank you for the message...we DRIVE a car vs. RIDE in a car (in driver' seat).

Gunnar "Hayward" Christiansen
Anacortes Washington USA
"Gretta" = SN-95 Bullitt #03004
Thanks! Here's the list of parts that I have. Now I just need to come up with the money to pay for the installation. LOL!

FRONT:
Tokico D-Spec Dampers
Steeda Sport Springs
Steeda Camber Plates
Steeda Bump Steer Kit
Steeda X5 Ball Joints
Steeda G-Trac Brace
Steeda Competition Sway Bar Kit

REAR:
Tokico D-Spec Dampers
Steeda Sport Springs
Steeda Adj Competition UCA Kit
Steeda Adj Panhard Bar
Steeda FRPP GT500 LCAs
Steeda Competition Sway Bar Kit
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:17 PM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 19
Bullitt Color: Shadow Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by tossass4370 View Post
Apologize for post delay, just got home Tuesday night from a GREAT road trip to Gingerman and then unplanned Detroit Mustang Alley and Mustang Memories extension.

3rd time at Gingerman with the Mohawk Track Experience and first time for 2 solid days. Paul runs a great event! Very much worth the 1050 mile run from N FL!

The 08 Bullitt is now old technology and the 01 Bullitt is antique. It takes a DRIVER to compete with the new computer controlled high HP on the road course. The computer makes a beginner into an intermediate with minimal seat time. And the higher HP makes them a beginner a drag champ on the straights and the computer saves their butts on the curves.

So, Brad and I had FUN with our antiques. Braking and diving deeper into turns, hitting the apex later and tracking out faster. More focus. Learned DRIVING skill.

Until Brad (unmodified 01 Bullitt) was kicked out of Beginner class on day 2 to Intermediate, my BLLTT (modified 0 was the lowest HP in Intermediate. We had fun together! Yup, we were quick to throw the point by at the passing zones. But at the curves, by braking later and diving deeper, kept with them at bay until the passing zones.
Gingerman is a pretty tight course for a heavier and higher powered car. If your brakes held up well throughout the 2 days then you've done your homework in terms of prep. Sounds like you had a good event.
bullit4404 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode