LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0205
Garage
The Bullitt still surprises

twelve years and counting since I purchased my Bullitt.

A LOT has changed in automotive performance since DHG205 rolled off the lot. While I imagine myself 'performance driving' on a daily basis the truth is that my driving is never more than 'mildly spirited'...this in a world of 450+ HP computer controlled motors mated to computer controlled transmissions spinning all four wheels each mated to computer controlled suspensions. Yes, my Bullitt is positively antiquated. In a delightful way.

Here's the fun part.

Once in a while a 911 owner or an M owner or a Tesla owner, all piloting cars that far outperform my Bullitt will assume that my Mustang like all Mustangs can only go in straight lines. And while my stock suspension is thoroughly piggish through the curves I can still manage to surprise them which refutes their automotive religion...wait, what? This CAN'T happen! That dirty Mustang CANNOT slip through the curves ahead of me!

Don't get me wrong, those supercars are all amazing and I have a great appreciation for them. But I'll stick with my Bullitt.

I can't wait for my kids to graduate from college so I can pay for the labor to get my new suspension parts installed. Only twenty years to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:54 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01118
Garage
I think we've been fortunate to have three versions of this car. I haven't driven my '09 in awhile, but every time I have, I really appreciate Ford did with the live axle set-up in this generation. It's awesome it still holds appeal even after years have passed. Enjoy!
cwebb and bullit4404 like this.

Tony Alonso
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt - black, #1118, VIN 1FAFP42X21F213026
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt - highland green, #6323, VIN 1ZVHT82H995129122
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt - dark highland green, K1254, VIN 1FA6P8K06K5500726
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:20 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
I consider my 08 a bit of a "blunt instrument." I'm thinking I may put a set of adjustable shocks, a better alignment set up, the"Steve Cougar" front brake upgrade, and some Michelin 4S tires. The dynamics of the chassis are quite good and I'll put 4404 up against most cars on a twisty road.
cwebb, tossass4370 and Marguerite like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

Garage
Yeah it takes very little in terms of suspension upgrades to transform this car’s cornering capabilities. The 4S tires alone are a revelation. My suspension parts for the upgrade include d-specs and steeds springs, adjustable panhard bar, upper/ lowers control arms, camber plates and a few other bits and pieces up front. Not much in the scheme of things but the difference, having been in a similarly set up S197, was impressive.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 02:21 AM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
Old, slow, and obsolete works for me. Just wish my clutch foot didn't go all wonky on me. Snapped tendon means no more heel & toe...so slow shifting with synchros taking all the work. If a next car, it will be an automatic, but reluctant to let the '09 go. For two lane blacktop and joining the interstate herd, it's more than adequate for my use. Not 'zactly a thrill ride, but not so sure I'd enjoy one of those at this stage of life anyway.

(edit) I should add that the 30,000 miles I've driven my '09 have been trouble free. By the book service, replacement batteries, tires, and wipers. From reading here, not all of the '19 owners can say the same...

For town chores..well, Cindy's Camry functions better.
cwebb and bullit4404 like this.

Last edited by pwd72s; 08-07-2019 at 02:27 AM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

Garage
Yep, I drive mine every day. only 69,655 miles since Dec 07 but it's got dings and dents, the door liners have peeled away...twice now, the steering wheel leather has wrinkled up, the driver's seat bolster has a hole worn through it and the little lever at the top of the seat doesn't work.

I even have two kids seats in the back, though the kids are just about too big to fit anymore so yes, the minivan has earned a place in the line-up.

But I have driven my Bullitt every day, in every condition and have enjoyed every moment behind the wheel. I think this is the essence of Frank Bullitt's relationship with his Highland Green '68. Both he and the car were devoid of pretension or preciousness.

Anyway, the S197 to me was the last mass produced car from a large car manufacturer to possess such elemental driving qualities. In spite of things like an electric accelerator, overall the car is still very mechanically simple with less between you and the driving experience than nearly all of it's contemporaries and certainly every major factory car after 2008-09.

911s and 718s could share a seat at this table but again they have become increasingly tech laden over the past twenty years...I mean, the decision to NOT offer a manual in some of the models...No thanks. Amazing cars but too precious now.
My '97 993 was the last Porsche I truly wanted...simple, spartan, totally connected and it totally connected you to the driving experience...interestingly I find many similarities between it and my S197.
bullit4404 likes this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:26 PM
Supporting Member

Naw, your 993 wasn't a "direct connection" It was the lap of luxury compared to my old 911... A 1972 911S. Sold in 2007 because it was attracting too much attention from people I didn't like. It now resides with a friend in Istanbul, forever out of the hands of those I didn't like.

It was a thrill ride...but the thrill of ownership faded. Another of those things ruined by it's popularity.

Like I said, the Bullitt not a thrill ride, but it pretty much works for me. I've also been lucky about door dings...none yet. The result of careful parking, living in a rural area, and parking in a garage. It usually only leaves the garage once a week...our trip to our favorite pool hall and back home. Roughly 80 miles.

Cindy & I both in our 70's. Sounds like our daughter is probably older than you. Enjoy the ride...

Last edited by pwd72s; 08-07-2019 at 12:38 PM. Reason: additional thought
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
Naw, your 993 wasn't a "direct connection" It was the lap of luxury compared to my old 911... A 1972 911S. Sold in 2007 because it was attracting too much attention from people I didn't like. It now resides with a friend in Istanbul, forever out of the hands of those I didn't like.

It was a thrill ride...but the thrill of ownership faded. Another of those things ruined by it's popularity.

Like I said, the Bullitt not a thrill ride, but it pretty much works for me. I've also been lucky about door dings...none yet. The result of careful parking, living in a rural area, and parking in a garage. It usually only leaves the garage once a week...our trip to our favorite pool hall and back home. Roughly 80 miles.

Cindy & I both in our 70's. Sounds like our daughter is probably older than you. Enjoy the ride...

A '72 911S? ...did you have to use your feet like Fred Flintstone to get it going? All kidding aside, that's a sweet car.

Your '72 and my '97 are probably more alike than my '97 and a '98.

Older 911s have definitely become the "it" car.

I'm 51 just got a later start on being a parent.
pwd72s and bullit4404 like this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:06 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
Old, slow, and obsolete works for me.

Let me know when you are ready to sell. I will buy it off you! I am serious! My only regret on my '09 is that the miles are higher. I would sell it and get another '09 with fewer miles - like yours
bullit4404 likes this.

Tony Alonso
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:10 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
By the way, cwebb, what do you expect when your suspension wishlist is implemented for your '09? It looks like a nice configuration.

Tony Alonso
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:12 PM
Supporting Member

Wink

Alonso, cornering the market on low miles Bullits!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:17 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso View Post
By the way, cwebb, what do you expect when your suspension wishlist is implemented for your '09? It looks like a nice configuration.
To have significantly less money in his "car" account.
73Mach1 likes this.

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:00 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
cwebb, thanks for starting this conversation. I also agree that my 08 Bullitt still surprises with it's overall driving and maybe more surprising, the attention it still gets.

Mine is still 100% stock, with the exception of P255/45 tires. Even after all these years, I still get a thrill everytime I take it out. It may be based upon my daily driver is a pick-up and/or minivan but it still excites me to take it out. Mine is used almost exclusively for road and beach trips and I may feel different if it was my daily driver but, I don't think so.

Meanwhile, it does draw attention when I take it out due to the unique color and lack of "flash". Most people just look at the car and know there is something different but just can't put a finger on it. Once I point out it is a Bullitt based upon the Steve McQueen movie, most people (especially the older generations) get it. It may be "Old", "Slow" and "Obsolete" but it really is still unique and people do seem to be drawn to it. The country has millions of Mustang fans and they realize this one is different, even if they don't seem to know why.
bullit4404 likes this.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:48 PM
Supporting Member

Tony, Thanks for the offer. Mark has right of first refusal should I decide to sell, so I'll consider you #2. So far, I'm coping with that floppy clutch foot. Whoever called these the golden years might have been a 25 year old kid in an ad agency. The car still works for me, driving like the old man I am. It might be way down on power compared to the '19's, but it seems to have enough grunt to easily synch with freeway traffic while driving the onramp. It is also fully capable of getting one in trouble with the younger men who drive cars with lights on the roof.

Jack, good on you. You're right on the generational thing. Those few times young guys have asked about the car, most of them never saw the movie or remember Steve McQueen. Not a daily driver for me either. In a bit, I'll be taking my bride on a run to our favorite pool hall...about an 80 miles round trip. I like that it's not so valuable I can't park it behind a pool hall.

cwebb, yep..our cars had air cooling in common. When Porsche went to water cooling, it kind of killed it for me. Figure if I had to go that route, might as well go with a car company that always used water cooling. So, thus the Bullitt, my first and probably only Mustang. Besides, I always like Green. Here's a pic of the old 911S before it headed off to Istanbul. Yes, that's original "Irish Green" old style enamel paint..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scottridepic2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	71793  
cwebb, FarmerDon, ttillub and 1 others like this.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:52 PM
Supporting Member

trying again on the pic

.......................................nevermind.
cwebb likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode