Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Steve McQueen's Bullitt goes to auction

3K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  PhotoRick 
#1 ·
Saw this today!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
:-?:???::eek::eek: What did they have to offer to get this to happen. Hopefully it is more of a publicity stunt to get people to attend and, in the end, some car hoarder does not end up with this car.

#14 ·
To be fair, I will paste what I said in the other thread:

I'm not actually surprised. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Sean said he was building a garage back home for it once he finished the world tour but I'm guessing the enormity of what he has, and what is required to keep it has hit him. Not to mention selling it will set him and his family up for life so I can completely understand and respect why he has done it.

He needs to earn a living, so presumably cannot spend the next however many years following it around on display.

He has insured it over the years as most likely a 67 Mustang Fastback, but now he has to insure it as THE 67 Fastback Mustang Bullitt that is unique. I dread to think what insurance premiums would be on it.

He also would have to live with the fear of it getting stolen, so that means more money on security and lost sleep. At least the new buyer will have the deep pockets to keep on top of it.

In a way, I expect it will be a huge relief for him when it has a new owner.
It's a HUGE responsibility (and expense) to care for that car now it is known and that additional stress probably takes way the joy of actually owning his fathers car. Plus, if it sells for millions (which I expect it will), that is a life changing sum of money for a lot of people. Imagine being able to pay off all your debt and have enough spare to probably not have to work much for the rest of your life?

Anybody have any thoughts on value? I'll throw mine out there....... 2.5 to 4.5....... Million!
I reckon $4 mill

Yeah looks legit:

https://mobile.twitter.com/therealbullitt?lang=en

I would guess that after all of the attention this car brings, you can’t just park it in your garage without losing sleep that it would be stolen one day. Also if they were going to let it be in a museum, then they’re basically giving it up anyway so why not do what’s best for their families future and sell it at the peak of its popularity.

It’s a fun idea to think of owning ‘559 but I bet it’s a headache in reality.

My only hope is that it ends up in a collection that can be seen by the public and not a private collection never to be seen again.i don’t know much about this collection except that they have that Cobra Daytona Coupe that Phil Spector owned for a time and set all those records on the Salt Flats:
https://www.simeonemuseum.org/the-collection/
Exactly what i said in the other thread.

#6 ·
If we are taking bets on what it will go far, I think about 1.2 - 1.5 million. But I could be seriously underestimating the value of it being one of a kind famous.

As my father would phrase it, [long low whistle].

Doesn’t look like we are going to Kansas in May, Toto.

#8 ·
Yeah looks legit:

https://mobile.twitter.com/therealbullitt?lang=en

I would guess that after all of the attention this car brings, you can’t just park it in your garage without losing sleep that it would be stolen one day. Also if they were going to let it be in a museum, then they’re basically giving it up anyway so why not do what’s best for their families future and sell it at the peak of its popularity.

It’s a fun idea to think of owning ‘559 but I bet it’s a headache in reality.

My only hope is that it ends up in a collection that can be seen by the public and not a private collection never to be seen again.i don’t know much about this collection except that they have that Cobra Daytona Coupe that Phil Spector owned for a time and set all those records on the Salt Flats:
https://www.simeonemuseum.org/the-collection/

#11 ·
If this was most anybody else's car, it would be worth maybe $50K tops. Because of the madness with celebrity, some people see great value in this vehicle. I am not one of them. I liked Steve McQueen, but Bullit was not his greatest movie, IMHO. Attaching such huge value to a car, is I believe a comment on the state of our society, when so many other problems require financial assistance, both private and governmental.
That said, someone will probably pay a lot of money, and stick the car in a climate controlled garage somewhere. Me. I'd rather make it long distance drive able, preserve the body, with patina, and use it. We'll see what happens.

#19 ·
Burt Reynolds Bandit car wasn’t the original from the movie, those were both destroyed. They were replicas and also there were 10’s of thousands of “Bandit” edition Trans Ams.

Bullitt ‘559 is perhaps the most significant original movie car in existence and having been the subject of such great mystery all these decades has only increased its potential value. Also a Steve McQueen owned Ferrari sold for $10 million 5 years ago.

I think ‘559 will sell for at least 5 million and my official guess is $7 million.

#25 ·
if I recall, Steve McQueen's personal Ferrari sold for like 9m. this THE iconic movie car if not car period. I can see this eclipsing the Ferrari.

#29 ·
I saw the Hero car in Detroit and spoke at length with the owner.

It is in ROUGH shape. Bondo is about to fall out of the passenger-side door, if I recall correctly.

It was driven in northeastern winters and is rusted.

It is a horrible shame that this car did not receive better care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.