Advice Needed: Thinking of buying an 08/09 - IMBOC
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Advice Needed: Thinking of buying an 08/09

Hello All,

I bought DHG 294 brand new back in 2001 and sold it a few years later in 2004. I've been thinking of buying an 08/09.

I'm not looking for a showroom car, and I don't mind if there are a sh*t ton of miles on the car if its been well cared for.

Are there any known issues I should be on the look out for with the 08/09's?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Regards,

Doug

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome message there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 03:17 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
Not really..but I may be the wrong guy to ask. My '09 not modified, has a hair over 30,000 on it's odo, and has been problem free.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Good to know. Thanks for the prompt reply!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:27 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Issues are as follows: Some cars have had synchro issues 1-2 and 2-3 shift. Water leaks at the windshield, due to seal skips or plugged drain holes. Rear axle whine with 3:73 gears. Axle vent leaks. Air bag recalls. The 2008 cars are rated better than the 2009's. The 09's had more engine issues, climate system, paint and trim, and noises and leaks, according to Consumer Reports.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Pat,

Are any of these warranty, recall, or TSB's that should have been addressed by previous owners?

Regards,
Doug
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 06:21 PM
Supporting Member

The gearbox issues should have been dealt with early on. And the air bags should have been replaced by now. You can check by giving the VIN # to a Ford parts guy and they can run the recall history. Everything else is case by case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 07:19 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
Forgot about the air bag recall...both of mine replaced. Also forgot about the cowl drains easily clogging with debris. My car garage kept & I avoid parking under debris shedding trees. Also, many reported issues with the CD player jamming. Only used mine once with no jams. When I read of this, downloaded all my CD's to ITunes, bought an ipod which I plug in set to shuffle play before I head out. Take my time shifting, especially when cold, so no synchro issues to report. Many here seem to like to replace the stock shifter with MGW or Barton brands. I haven't.

Guess I lucked out...also have hearing issues, so if the rear end whines, I don't notice it. It is an overall noisy car...a wind whistle noise, tire noise on anything but a really smooth road, engine & exhaust, etc.. Perhaps not the sound deadening of other cars, but I kind of expected that...it's a Ford, after all...not a Lexus.

(edit) It's not an excellent car, but overall, it's worked well for me. Since I bought it, my body betrayed me via a snapped tendon in my left ankle giving me a floppy foot. Makes clutch work difficult, but that's not the car's fault. If I get another car, it will have an automatic.

Last edited by pwd72s; 10-30-2019 at 07:34 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 09:35 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 3045
Driver’s side power seat...plastic gears in the seat track can strip. Seat will cease to adjust. Ford sells a kit for the gears or a much more expensive option is to replace the entire seat track.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Keep me coming!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 02:00 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 1PP06
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullit4404 View Post
The gearbox issues should have been dealt with early on. And the air bags should have been replaced by now. You can check by giving the VIN # to a Ford parts guy and they can run the recall history. Everything else is case by case.
Is it too late to have the gearbox TSB fixed free?
Brian09 likes this.

08 HG 2498
08 HG 2751 VNP
08 HG 5486 STB
08 HG 1PP06

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 09:03 PM
Supporting Member

Yes, I would say that issue has probably timed out. You can always ask? My gearbox is a little grunchy when it's cold but gets better when warm. Some people have had some luck switching to different ATF fluid.
pwd72s likes this.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 08:22 AM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 6005
Garage
Also saw some posts (this site & S197 Forum) showing inside door material(s) coming loose, but easy fix w/ spray adhesive.

Right at 17.5K w/ my '09 and no issues so far...tires were hard/shot when I bought @ 14K, but they were original rubber (e.g. 10-yrs-old).

- 1970 302 Boss ( deceased
), - 1969 Mach-1 (Sold
), -1982 Ghia ( Sold
) +2009 DHG Bullitt #6005 (
) USAF, Retired (MSgt)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM

Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 3491

I have 3491 with 62,000 on it. I use the Haynes service manual maintenance schedule and have had no issues. Only things Iíve done are replaced the tail light harness with the Raxiom sequential blinkers and replace the prop rod with pistons. Itís a great daily driver. The Shaker 1000 is a little weak but I have the 6 disc in dash and have never had an issue

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome message there.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 6072
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullit4404 View Post
Issues are as follows: Some cars have had synchro issues 1-2 and 2-3 shift. Water leaks at the windshield, due to seal skips or plugged drain holes. Rear axle whine with 3:73 gears. Axle vent leaks. Air bag recalls. The 2008 cars are rated better than the 2009's. The 09's had more engine issues, climate system, paint and trim, and noises and leaks, according to Consumer Reports.
Thanks , your contributions here have been gold to me ,much appreciated, I have signs of some of those now, nothing major tho, but I’m prob going to put in the ford 4/10 gears.
One thing you left out I’ve noticed when I’m driving is the loose nut behind the wheel
bullit4404 likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Today, 11:53 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
OH yea, now you brought to the rear end. Some people reported sounds from the rear end (some called it a "dying whale" sound). Solution is very simple. A small bottle for "friction modifier" from Ford does the trick.

You may also hear some 'clunking' from the drive train. This is normal as the cars are equipped with two piece driveshaft which requires a carrier bearing in the middle.

None of these are issues or problems. Just some nuisances to be aware of.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in