• 1 Post By 4est Bullitt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Color: Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6498
Coyote Swap in an 08/09???

Has anyone done a crate motor swap of a Coyote in an 08/09 BULLITT? Have any of the after market folks come up with an easy plug and play kit?

ARMY TC

IT MUST BE THE GREEN!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 10:05 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Thumbs up

You will need an engine, (transmission) of course, a Ford Racing engine control package(Wiring harness, computer etc). Then you will need the belt accessory drive kit and a radiator, hoses and brackets. Engine mounts and exhaust bits will round out your parts list (drive shaft). There are a number of shops that do this, and a lot of the parts are in in the Ford Racing catalog. I haven't done one personally, but you can find various versions on You Tube. Won't be cheap.
pwd72s and FarmerDon like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 10:10 PM

You Broke the Server!

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01118
Garage
It's doable but I wouldn't call it easy. There are several compatibility considerations - the steering system, the PCM if you need to pass emissions, and returnless vs return fuel system. Also, there are 3 generations of 5.0L V8s - '11-'14, '15-'17, and '18+.

Here's probably one of the more comprehensive pages I've seen on what is needed. It's a project.

If it were me seeking to increase the power of my '09, I'd go the supercharger route because the money would be less.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2005-2009 Ford Mustang Coyote 5.0 Swap.pdf (13.39 MB, 18 views)
pwd72s, FarmerDon and bullit4404 like this.

Tony Alonso
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt - black, #1118, VIN 1FAFP42X21F213026
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt - highland green, #6323, VIN 1ZVHT82H995129122
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt - dark highland green, K1254, VIN 1FA6P8K06K5500726

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 10:42 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
My admittedly limited research on this had me believing that the most economical way to have a 5.0 would be to buy a Mustang that has a 5.0.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 11:18 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
I agree with Tony, an Edelbrock stage 1 supercharger will give you ~450 HP and bolts right up pretty much.
FarmerDon likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 07:02 AM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 0898
as far as a supercharger install. i would recommend a Department Of Boost, aka DOB.
depending on your buying and mechanical skills it's easy to save several thousand $$$ with his kit. he has a group buy going on for the next few DAYS to save several hundred dollars.
he sells kits from the starter, intake and related necessary parts only to complete kits with everything needed to install for more $$$.
the new Gen II intake manifold with composite heat barriers he sells now is far superior than the eldebrock intake when considering intake air temps.
i have a DOB gen I on my car. gen I TVS supercharger with a forged motor i make 650rwhp on pump 93 octane gas. i know a lot of GT500 guys and a few 3V guys with $$$ but no mechanical skills. i got a some screaming deals on my parts. it cost me less than $3K out of my pocket to build my motor including, the intake that was $2K at the time, forged internal parts, headers, and supercharger. EVERY part including the pistons were used. i only had to buy rings, bearings and gaskets. i traded labor and parts for the machine work so that cost me $0 out of pocket. i also bought a tr6060 for $1500 and that included the clutch and driveshaft.
you can install a stock 07-10 M122 supercharger with a DOB intakes and make 450rwhp without having to build your motor. there have been several documented safe builds on 100K mile motors. DOB has a web site and a facebook page for more info.
after my DOB love fest comment be warned. DOB is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY SLOW on delivery of his products. if you buy now don't expect delivery until June at the earliest.
a small defense on slow delivery every part is custom made with a cnc machine.

as far as a coyote motor install. i myself would look into a pallet buy with the trans, harness, gas tank and etc still on the motor. most are actually sold as a running motor. if you buy one from a s197 mustang everything should be plug in and play.
on s197 mustangs the motors are powered and controlled by the harness that plugs into the fuse box. change over the fuel pump in the tank and you should be good to go.
disclaimer I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS INSTALL. i can foresee some potential problems with making the gauges communicate with the motor, possibly communication problems with the body control module also.
i HAVE helped install a 4V GT500 motor in a 3V car and it used the 3V harness and ECM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 07:07 AM

Mega BullittHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
My admittedly limited research on this had me believing that the most economical way to have a 5.0 would be to buy a Mustang that has a 5.0.
depending on your mechanical skills this is probably the cheapest way for most people.
DavidMidgley and FarmerDon like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Thanks for the treasure of information! Sitting in Pennsylvania with snow and cold weather makes a guy dream of some options for the current BULLITT. Enjoy what you have....upgrade....or just go buy a new 2020 BULLITT.....

ARMT TC
bullit4404 likes this.

IT MUST BE THE GREEN!!!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 06:46 PM

Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 1284
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt2you View Post
as far as a supercharger install. i would recommend a Department Of Boost, aka DOB.
depending on your buying and mechanical skills it's easy to save several thousand $$$ with his kit. he has a group buy going on for the next few DAYS to save several hundred dollars.
he sells kits from the starter, intake and related necessary parts only to complete kits with everything needed to install for more $$$.
the new Gen II intake manifold with composite heat barriers he sells now is far superior than the eldebrock intake when considering intake air temps.
i have a DOB gen I on my car. gen I TVS supercharger with a forged motor i make 650rwhp on pump 93 octane gas. i know a lot of GT500 guys and a few 3V guys with $$$ but no mechanical skills. i got a some screaming deals on my parts. it cost me less than $3K out of my pocket to build my motor including, the intake that was $2K at the time, forged internal parts, headers, and supercharger. EVERY part including the pistons were used. i only had to buy rings, bearings and gaskets. i traded labor and parts for the machine work so that cost me $0 out of pocket. i also bought a tr6060 for $1500 and that included the clutch and driveshaft.
you can install a stock 07-10 M122 supercharger with a DOB intakes and make 450rwhp without having to build your motor. there have been several documented safe builds on 100K mile motors. DOB has a web site and a facebook page for more info.
after my DOB love fest comment be warned. DOB is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY SLOW on delivery of his products. if you buy now don't expect delivery until June at the earliest.
a small defense on slow delivery every part is custom made with a cnc machine.

as far as a coyote motor install. i myself would look into a pallet buy with the trans, harness, gas tank and etc still on the motor. most are actually sold as a running motor. if you buy one from a s197 mustang everything should be plug in and play.
on s197 mustangs the motors are powered and controlled by the harness that plugs into the fuse box. change over the fuel pump in the tank and you should be good to go.
disclaimer I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS INSTALL. i can foresee some potential problems with making the gauges communicate with the motor, possibly communication problems with the body control module also.
i HAVE helped install a 4V GT500 motor in a 3V car and it used the 3V harness and ECM.

I've had my eye on DOB for awhile. Especially since the Whipples and TVS are pretty pricey.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 07:34 AM

Mega BullittHead

it's a pretty good bang for your $$ product.
with the gen III TVS superchargers on the market there are a LOT of dirt cheap used M122 supercharges for sale. so this mod is getting cheaper every day. if you take your time you can buy the like new old stock parts, supercharger, throttle body, and injectors off a 07-10 GT500 for $500 or less. i have seen these parts for sale at $250. you will need to buy a heat exchanger, pump, overflow tank, fuel pump( i have seen these parts for sale at $100) and some hoses and fittings. these can be found used take off pretty cheap also. with that price, + intake and the rest of the prices your total price outlay for parts will be around $3,500 for 450 rwhp not crank hp. much less than a coyote conversion and will look MUCH cooler when opening the hood.

just a heads up. more power usually requires better drivetrain parts. after install your stock clutch will go south quickly, so plan on replacing this in the near future. also the 2 piece DS can handle the power if you don't abuse it. but if planning to drag your car with slicks a 1 piece DS is recommended also. if you go forged and add big power plan on upgrading the trans to a TR6060 or another HD trans. the stock axles can easily handle 450hp. higher than that plan on axles also, especially if drag racing with slicks.

in the past 6 years i have done or helped do at least 8 DOB installs. none in the last 2 years.

his instructions are really good. if you read carefully and take your time doing the job a total noob can install one. with help from a friend 2 guys who know what they are doing can do the job in about 10 hours and not break a sweat doing the job.
for the tune there is a guy in Venezuela or some south american country like that that does reasonably priced remote tuning and is supposed to be pretty good.

ANOTHER heads up. DOB IS EXTERMELY EXTREMELY EXTREMELY SLOW DELIVERING PRODUCTS. he is just a 1 man show. if you buy on his group buy that ends in 1 week or less. don't plan on getting it until JUNE or possibly later than that.
bullit4404 likes this.

Last edited by mrt2you; 02-12-2020 at 07:47 AM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:31 AM

BullittHead

A Coyote motor would be legit in a Bullitt.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome message there.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 06:55 AM

Mega BullittHead

i would be just fine with a coyote motor in a 08 bullitt.
you will get more power/torque, with less effort for less $$$ with a DOB install over a coyote install.

depending on you connections and mechanical skills.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

I looked at the Edelbrock Stage One last evening. It looks like a good unit, recommended by fellow BULLITT folks, praised by Bren Speed etc.
I had a 2010 GT500 with a supercharger.....just didn't like the way it performed. I'd rather go with a N/A Engine.....not quite as unpredictable for an old guy.

Maybe a 2019/2020 BULLITT would be my best option....

Whatever you spend won't be returned in value......it costs to have fun!
ARMY TC
sganow and bullit4404 like this.

IT MUST BE THE GREEN!!!!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 03:39 PM

Super BullittHead

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4111
Well, I'm going to bite the bullet (pardon the pun) and spring for the Edelbrock Stage 1 from Brenspeed this spring (or, as soon as my pension checks start rolling in...). I know that I won't get a return on my investment, but I'm looking for something that will allow me to keep up with the new cars and won't cost me an arm and a leg. Plus, with college looming for my daughter, spending $39-45k on a brand new Bullitt just isn't in the cards right now. I don't plan on going to the drag strip but I still want folks to know that #4111 has a little "git up and go"!

Going the Coyote route was something that I considered, as well as the NA route. After looking at the cost of a Coyote swap, the supercharger was less expensive. The Ford Performance intake with Hot Rod or Detroit Rocker cams, and long tube headers on paper just doesn't seem to get me what I want hp wise, plus by the time I paid for it, it cost as much as the supercharger. So...Brenspeed and Edelbrock, here I come.
bullit4404 likes this.

Last edited by 4est Bullitt; 02-15-2020 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode