Nifty 50's Thread - Page 2366 - IMBOC
View Poll Results: What is your favorite era of car on this thread?
20s-30s 0 0%
40s & street rods 1 2.33%
50s classics 2 4.65%
60s muscle 35 81.40%
70s-present 4 9.30%
foreign & oddities (all years) 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

9081Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #35476 of 35693 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: Former Owner
Bullitt Serialized Number: 1917
Cool The Judge, revisited...

Back on Feb. 2, 2018, we took a look at the GTO Judge. I was rummaging through the old stuff and thought it would be cool to look at it again. So, here come da Judge, again. --JB

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have John DeLorean to thank for picking "The Judge" as a name for Pontiac's special edition GTO. It was slated to be called the "ET" (as in drag race, not aliens), but he rolled with the popularity of Sammy Davis' skit on Laugh-In. It was a novelty that ran 3 years, drawing people into showrooms in droves. Even my own sister balled me out for not buying one, when I came home with my new Mach I. Oh well. The car was aimed to compete with the Roadrunners, Super Bees and Chevelles of the day. Here's today's...

1969 Pontiac GTO Judge https://myclassicgarage.com/marketpl...69-pontiac-gto and The Judge History and https://www.flemingsultimategarage.c...69-pontiac-gto

400 cu. in. V-8, 366 h.p.

Hey, is that Kurt in this ad?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KURT'S KUTIES!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PAUL'S PATINA!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BONUS VIDEOS!

FarmerDon and bullit4404 like this.

THE ETERNAL COW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." --Yogi Berra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35477 of 35693 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:26 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
By the time the Judge came out I'd been done with GTO's and into Porsches. Sorry, but a GM body style I didn't like...but like Jay said, it's kind of grown on me since. "Morrokide" covered seats...wow! Beats "Corinthian" leather all to hell for ease of cleaning.
Jimbob likes this.
post #35478 of 35693 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
By the time the Judge came out I'd been done with GTO's and into Porsches. Sorry, but a GM body style I didn't like...but like Jay said, it's kind of grown on me since. "Morrokide" covered seats...wow! Beats "Corinthian" leather all to hell for ease of cleaning.
Those morroks are mean animals. Very vicious, and almost impossible to capture and skin!

THE ETERNAL COW

post #35479 of 35693 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:37 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 5389
Garage
I may have mentioned this before, but...

when I was growing up, my dad had a '68 GTO, very much the proto-Judge. Black with red vinyl... er, "Morrokide" interior, 4-on-the-floor; a real monster in the 70's, and probably still would be a heck of a fun ride today. Probably the reason I became a car guy.

He sold it when I was 15.

Probably for the best.

I took him to the PPG Good Guys Nationals last year, and there was a black '68 there, nearly identical to our old Goat, only with the automatic and BLACK interior. MEMORIES...

I still prefer the '68 to the '69, because I like the wing vents in the door glass.

Jimbob and FarmerDon like this.

08 Bullitt 5389 13 Ford Focus ST 00 Roush Cougar

Last edited by B3NN3TT; 07-23-2019 at 02:44 PM.
post #35480 of 35693 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:30 PM

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01625
Garage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob View Post
No, but there's a little hidden slot where you can insert your jack stand.
Or a Jim bob. [sic]
Jimbob likes this.
post #35481 of 35693 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3NN3TT View Post
I may have mentioned this before, but...

when I was growing up, my dad had a '68 GTO, very much the proto-Judge. Black with red vinyl... er, "Morrokide" interior, 4-on-the-floor; a real monster in the 70's, and probably still would be a heck of a fun ride today. Probably the reason I became a car guy.

He sold it when I was 15.

Probably for the best.

I took him to the PPG Good Guys Nationals last year, and there was a black '68 there, nearly identical to our old Goat, only with the automatic and BLACK interior. MEMORIES...

I still prefer the '68 to the '69, because I like the wing vents in the door glass.

I was in the same boat, only with a '69 Chevelle Malibu convertible. No vent wings, and I really missed them. I smoked more than a '48 Kaiser needing a ring job back then. My '65 GTO and '65 Mustang both had them, but the newer cars (including my '70 Mach I)... Sorry, Charlie. No wings. But I guess it was a good thing, really. I rarely smoked in those cars.
bullit4404 likes this.

THE ETERNAL COW

Last edited by Jimbob; 07-23-2019 at 05:45 PM.
post #35482 of 35693 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Cool Speaking of Kaiser...

bullit4404 likes this.

THE ETERNAL COW

post #35483 of 35693 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

hmmm...
bullit4404 likes this.

THE ETERNAL COW

post #35484 of 35693 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:42 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
After the war, Kaiser not a popular name. Another name, dropped by Hudson, was the Hitler Hornet. Didn't do well in focus groups.
Jimbob and pwd72s like this.

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
post #35485 of 35693 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Cool Oregon's finest...

Oddly enough, I stumbled upon a very special Oregon State Patrol car from 1959 and was reminded of my dear Aunt Ruthie. She was my mom's kid sister and hands down the best aunt a kid could hope to have. In the early days she drove an old blue Henry J, but a few years later, she proudly drove into Grandpa's gravel driveway in a shiny new Chevrolet Biscayne. It was solid black, had hardly any chrome trim, with blackwall tires and dog dish hubcaps and the Blue Flame Six. But, Aunt Ruthie was as proud of that car as if it had been a new Cadillac. She would pile my cousins and I into it and away we'd go. Off to go hiking, off to the swimming pool --- always a fun adventure. But, here's the lowdown on today's car (it might be something Paul remembers):

"The special 1959 police pursuit Biscayne developed by Zora Arkus Duntov was first revealed in Motor Trend in December 1958, when correspondent D.M. Bartley compared it to “the fastest road car we can think of,” the Ferrari 250GT. The praise came in large part thanks to the car’s Duntov-massaged 348 CI W-head big block, whose 305 horsepower gave it a potential top speed of 135 MPH. The matching numbers example offered here, which has completed a three-year restoration, is one of 40 police pursuit Biscaynes built to Duntov’s specs, and was delivered new to the Oregon State Patrol." --Mecum Auctions

Here's today's...

RANDOM CLASSIC!

1959 Chevrolet Biscayne Duntov Special Oregon Police Car https://59classicchevy.com/1959-chevrolet-biscayne/ and https://auto.howstuffworks.com/chevy...v-8-engine.htm

348 cu. in. "Duntov" V-8, 305 h.p.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KLASSIC KUTIES!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PAUL'S PATINA!

FarmerDon and bullit4404 like this.

THE ETERNAL COW

Last edited by Jimbob; 07-24-2019 at 07:27 PM.
post #35486 of 35693 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:38 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
WARNING, a little off subject, but has anyone heard for Kurt lately? It seems to have been quite some time since he last posted here. There seems to be some Kuties here that need a little attention.
Jimbob, pwd72s and bullit4404 like this.
post #35487 of 35693 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:18 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
Those special Biscaynes were a topic of conversations back in the day. Charlie May, a guy I knew back in the day, bought one at a surplus auction. Of course, he just said it was an old cop car with a 348...we knew nothing about future collectability when we were just young guys playing with cars. Looks black in the pics. Actually it was a really dark blue.

Charlie installed a 4:11 positrac, and he plugged the fender antenna hole with black plastic, and I have no VIN info, but pretty sure it was one of these special pursuit cars. It did go like stink for the time.
Jimbob likes this.

Last edited by pwd72s; 07-24-2019 at 03:21 PM. Reason: additional thought
post #35488 of 35693 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:09 PM

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01251
That’s a very interesting Chevy cop car story. My hats off to you!!
Jimbob likes this.

DHG # 01251-130,000+ miles -ACCEL COP's-LED 3rd Brake Light-Web Electric Sequential Turn Signals-Magnaflow Magnapack Catback Exhaust-Koni STR.T Struts and Shocks-KYB Axle Damper Shocks-Bullitt Center Caps from On in 60-JLT RAI DHG -Chin Spoiler -Mach 1 Grille Delete-FarmerDons Custom Mesh Grille Insert

USAF 70-74

Last edited by FarmerDon; 07-24-2019 at 02:35 PM.
post #35489 of 35693 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
Those special Biscaynes were a topic of conversations back in the day. Charlie May, a guy I knew back in the day, bought one at a surplus auction. Of course, he just said it was an old cop car with a 348...we knew nothing about future collectability when we were just young guys playing with cars. Looks black in the pics. Actually it was a really dark blue.

Charlie installed a 4:11 positrac, and he plugged the fender antenna hole with black plastic, and I have no VIN info, but pretty sure it was one of these special pursuit cars. It did go like stink for the time.
Yes, I knew full well what color it was. There were other sites that had it in the sun, but I deliberately chose the the shady pics because I was hearkening back to my aunt's black one. The true black ones I found were restored by Beavis and Butthead --- had those huge chrome "Ghetto wheels" on them.

Here's one if it in the sun, just to make you feel better...

Ha! You had a Duntov cop car and didn't even know it. If I had hung on to the classics I've owned I'd be a multi-millionaire. But what did I know? What did any of us know?

LINK TO SITE:
https://www.mecum.com/lots/PA0716-25...olet-biscayne/
VIC-TIM likes this.

THE ETERNAL COW

Last edited by Jimbob; 07-24-2019 at 04:21 PM.
post #35490 of 35693 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Talking "Shut up, Beavis. You sound like a dumbass!"

VIC-TIM likes this.

THE ETERNAL COW

Last edited by Jimbob; 07-25-2019 at 09:14 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode