Nifty 50's Thread - Page 2488 - IMBOC
View Poll Results: What is your favorite era of car on this thread?
20s-30s 0 0%
40s & street rods 1 2.33%
50s classics 2 4.65%
60s muscle 35 81.40%
70s-present 4 9.30%
foreign & oddities (all years) 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

11913Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #37306 of 37673 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: Former Owner
Bullitt Serialized Number: 1917
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
I kinda like that Mercury 2 door wagon. Everybody knows about an loves the Chevy Nomad, but all 2 door wagons have that cool aspect.

Gotta be a few of them left today...but don't think I've ever seen one.
Chevy gets all the attention and kudos for its Nomad, but there were other cool 2-door wagons that didn't even get a grunt. Pontiac had a Safari wagon that was just as cool (maybe even more) and we can't forget Ford's trusty Ranch Wagon. Not sure what Chrysler had, but I'll research it and find out.

As far as the Mercury wagon, I don't remember seeing more than one or two the whole time I was growing up. But then, I grew up in Ford, Chevy snd Plymouth-Land. I'm sure the neighbors thought Dad was being a "show off" the day he pulled into our drive in that shiny new '57 Montclair.

THE ETERNAL COW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." --Yogi Berra

Last edited by Jimbob; 02-23-2020 at 04:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37307 of 37673 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 07:31 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
My guess is that the Mercury would be a rare car indeed at any cruise-in. Therefore, quite desirable.
Jimbob and bullit4404 like this.
post #37308 of 37673 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

bullit4404 likes this.

THE ETERNAL COW

Last edited by Jimbob; 02-23-2020 at 08:17 PM.
post #37309 of 37673 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 07:43 PM
Supporting Member

Makes me wonder who many pretty cool 2 door wagons were allowed to rust away or were being crushed while nomads were being lovingly restored.
post #37310 of 37673 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Wink

Quote:
Makes me wonder who many pretty cool 2 door wagons were allowed to rust away or were being crushed while nomads were being lovingly restored.
Most of them, most likely. Sad to think about. Reminds me of back when I restored my '57 Chevy 210 back in '79.

I had stopped at a junk yard in the middle of Nowhere, Missouri (Cherokee Pass), where I knew there was a slew of old 50s cars out in the woods, to look for a better taillight assembly for my restoration.

Found a good one on a dilapidated 150 with no front end. I commented on the scarcity of '57 Chevys at the yard. The old guy working there then spoke these immortal words: "If I had a dollar for every '57 Chevy they hauled out of here for the crusher, I'd be rich!"

And there's that.
bullit4404 likes this.

THE ETERNAL COW

post #37311 of 37673 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

This was the scene, but with far fewer '57 Chevys... (I must've walked a mile in the woods before I found that Chevy 150 with the part I needed).

DavidMidgley and bullit4404 like this.

THE ETERNAL COW

Last edited by Jimbob; 02-24-2020 at 07:26 AM.
post #37312 of 37673 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Wink Lost and found calamity... (re-visited)

Apparently, back in late January, 2014 a horrible disaster had struck and somehow Jimbob lost the pics of many posts. This was probably when Photoshop started demanding big money and locked up all my pics and before I'd opened the Flickr account. Whatever, the pics had gotten snatched. But, nice guy that I am, I went back and retrieved them from my PaintShop Pro and brought them back (sort of). Here (with the 2 original parts combined) is a re-posting of that Herculean effort...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knowing some of you would be despondent over the vehicles "lost" since Dec. 20, I decided to re-visit all of them briefly, one pic of the lost car and one of the lost "kutie." It's the least I can do for my flagrant folly... Here goes!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was the kutie that didn't get the memo that it was "Blue Day." (I docked her one day's pay).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND THIS CONCLUDES PART ONE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART TWO

Picking up where we left off, in 1963...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND THIS CONCLUDES OUR RE-CAP OF LOST CARS AND KUTIES. WE HOPE YOU ENJOYED YOUR STAY AND LOOK FORWARD TO BRINGING YOU MORE CHEER IN THE FUTURE. YOU ARE DISMISSED.

FarmerDon and bullit4404 like this.

THE ETERNAL COW

Last edited by Jimbob; 02-24-2020 at 07:23 AM.
post #37313 of 37673 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 12:18 PM
Supporting Member

Almost too much eye candy for one sitting....almost. Old men can take only so much, you know...
Jimbob, FarmerDon and bullit4404 like this.
post #37314 of 37673 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 03:38 PM

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01251
Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Hmmmmmmmmmmmm! 😆

DHG # 01251-130,000+ miles -ACCEL COP's-LED 3rd Brake Light-Web Electric Sequential Turn Signals-Magnaflow Magnapack Catback Exhaust-Koni STR.T Struts and Shocks-KYB Axle Damper Shocks-Bullitt Center Caps from On in 60-JLT RAI DHG -Chin Spoiler -Mach 1 Grille Delete-FarmerDons Custom Mesh Grille Insert

USAF 70-74
post #37315 of 37673 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Wink

Quote:
Almost too much eye candy for one sitting....almost. Old men can take only so much, you know...
Yessir, those classic cars can really take it out of ya.
pwd72s and bullit4404 like this.

THE ETERNAL COW

post #37316 of 37673 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerDon View Post
Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Hmmmmmmmmmmmm! 😆
"Ma, where'd I put them nitro pills?"
pwd72s and bullit4404 like this.

THE ETERNAL COW

post #37317 of 37673 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 07:53 PM
Supporting Member

"not nitro...those blue pills! Them first...THEN the nitro pills!"
Jimbob likes this.

Last edited by pwd72s; 02-24-2020 at 09:28 PM.
post #37318 of 37673 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 10:08 AM

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01152
Garage
Lightbulb

Quote:
Nomads were popular, and parts for them were reclaimed and remade. I think there was a "Cottage industry" in South America repopping the Nomad parts because Chevy's were sold there. But insofar as I know, the other GM cars were not. No demand. No parts. So, end product is that the Nomad is rebuildable due to parts availability, the others aren't so much. Unless of course, you go digging around in Tornado country and get lucky. Er, find the part on a junkyard princess.

My name is David J. Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me that. You can call me David. Or you can call me David J. Or you can call me David Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me David J. Midgley....
post #37319 of 37673 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 10:31 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
Years ago, I helped an engine builder who was also a Chevrolet Parts person. He lived for '55 Chevy and had several that he drove. As Chevrolet started discontinuing '55 parts, he started buying. The last time I was by his place (10 years +/-) he still had several brand new OEM '55 Chevy fenders in his basement. I sure he also had a lot of other parts but those were up front and visible.
Jimbob and pwd72s like this.
post #37320 of 37673 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

They take points away for "restored" show cars with aftermarket "replica" parts. Those with money to burn will move Heaven and Earth to locate NOS (new old stock) parts.

P.S. "OEM" parts can be made by any Tom, Dick or Harry (or Larry, Curly or Moe, for that matter) and true purists quest for the factory authorized NOS stuff.

And that's all I have to say about that.
DavidMidgley likes this.

THE ETERNAL COW

Last edited by Jimbob; 02-25-2020 at 02:06 PM.

Tags
pool cues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode