My son's future Bullitt - Page 4 - IMBOC
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 857 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 68
Bullitt Color: Black
Bullitt Serialized Number: 9999
The cowl vent on Kurt’s car looks great and just has some light surface rust. To get better access we cut an oval hole on the side that we will weld closed after we treat the surface rust.

We used a 1” hole-saw for the hole in a place that is covered by the fender. We could make a plate and just caulk & screw it in, but we weld it in, and treat the new metal from the inside vent hole.

I used a snake camera to get a better view

After sanding, scraping, cleaning, and prepping, I use Eastwoods frame coating with a cool 360 degree spray nozzle on the end of a 2’ hose to seal the metal with zinc phosphate. Also use a long handle Ĺ” brush get to all surfaces.

We will finish it with a coat of PR15 this weekend.

Thanks!
Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 857 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Banned

Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 5224
PAT IVE FOLLOWED THIS THREAD VERY CLOSE,I KNOW HARDLY NOTHING ON RESTURATION,SO DIDNOT COMMENT.BUT ITS TIME NOW,TO ME THIS THREAD IS THE MOST OUTSTANDING AND VALUEVABLE ON IMBOC.IT SHOWS WHAT A RELATION BETWEEN FATHER AND SON CAN BE,AND SHOULD BE.THIS YOU AND KIRT WILL TREASURE FOR LIFE,ITS PRICELESS.
WHEN YA PROJECT IS COMPLEAT,I THINK ITS MAGAZINE WORTHY.BULLITTS ARE REALLY GREAT,BUT WHAT YOU AND KURT ARE DOING IS BONDING TOGETHER.

post #48 of 857 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnixon
PAT IVE FOLLOWED THIS THREAD VERY CLOSE,I KNOW HARDLY NOTHING ON RESTURATION,SO DIDNOT COMMENT.BUT ITS TIME NOW,TO ME THIS THREAD IS THE MOST OUTSTANDING AND VALUEVABLE ON IMBOC.IT SHOWS WHAT A RELATION BETWEEN FATHER AND SON CAN BE,AND SHOULD BE.THIS YOU AND KIRT WILL TREASURE FOR LIFE,ITS PRICELESS.
WHEN YA PROJECT IS COMPLEAT,I THINK ITS MAGAZINE WORTHY.BULLITTS ARE REALLY GREAT,BUT WHAT YOU AND KURT ARE DOING IS BONDING TOGETHER.
No question its quality time together and I do treasure it!
Thank You!
Pat

post #49 of 857 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 05:31 PM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: No Bullitt
Bullitt Serialized Number: 00000
Thumbs up

WoW! Going high~tech to get down to it. Good Job

"Beer is proof God Loves us and wants us to be Happy" ~ Benjamin Franklin
post #50 of 857 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

We did some more welding on the frontend this weekend and cut the vin # out of the right side inter fender and welded it into the replacement apron.
Thanks!

Pat

We used some copper on the top and bottom to protect the numbers, cool the metal, and stop the weld through

A lot of work and after the fender is on the only place you can see the # is if you look inside the wheel well.

post #51 of 857 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 01:26 AM

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Color: TB
Nicely done, excellent attention to detail, this car is going to be something very special if you complete the rest in the same way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #52 of 857 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 04:18 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 19
Bullitt Serialized Number: 2310
Garage
Loving it Awesome

2019 DHG K2310
post #53 of 857 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

To make the oval we used a 1” hole saw and cut two hole side by side then used a air saw to connect the two holes.

I scribed the hole on paper for a templet to make the patch that will get welded in using a copper plate held from the inside through the cowl vent pipe. Then I can PR 15 the back side throught the same cowl vent hole.

I use anything that would reach to prep the rusty metal before I treated it. But I was lucky as it was just surface rust.

This long pry bar worked the best with 80g sand tape.

Emery cloth worked great around the vent pipe

I use a long ľ” tube to hold a small paint brush to put two coat of PR-15 over the zinc phosphate, it worked great as I could see and get to surfaces inside the cowl
Thanks!
Pat
post #54 of 857 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Banned

Bullitt Serialized Number: 5224
Pat, Ye Look Pretty Good,with Hand Tools.i Know You Will Keep It Up.thu Best To You And Kurt.

post #55 of 857 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 01:01 AM

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4305
nice build, keep us posted
post #56 of 857 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

We restored two of the door glass tracks and note that the driverís side has a different glass guide. Both doors look to be original to the car. Iím not sure if thatís how it came from the factory or if it was changed, if so which one is correct for the car? The passenger side with the plastic guide is in great shape, but the driverís side felt guide is worn and look like its 42 years old. It the as the inside top door felt but with out the chrome edge. So we cut a 2 Ĺ ďpiece from the trim we removed from the top of the door, and made two staples to hold it. Note we cut a slot in the felt as to let the staples pull low and clear the glass.
Thanks!
Pat

post #57 of 857 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

For a Christmas present I thought I would get Kurt a steering wheel for his car. After some research I learned that the Bullitt movie car used a Shelby wheel wrapped with black leather. Needless to say a real Shelby wheel was not an option and I soon found out that a reproduction Shelby was over $2,500.00 ouch! So found a 15” brushed S/S spoke wood wheel. The spokes look close but short 1 hole per spoke. The wood is thicker and has finger grips that the Shelby wheel does not have, but I think it will look & work well after I cover it with black leather.

This is what I started with, note the holes & seam that need to be filled so they will not show through the leather.

I used West system epoxy to fill the seam & holes. Then I put a few coats of Polyurethane to seal the wood

I bought some scrap black leather at the local fabric shop and cut it about 3/8” smaller then the thickness of the wheel, then got my wife’s singer out and with the leather inside out I stitched it together about an 1 ľ” smaller then the circumference of the wheel.

Having the leather just a little smaller helped to hold the shape of the wheel when it was stretched over the wheel.

After looking at how newer cars had there leather wheels stitched I used a pipe to test and learn how to do it right. So using some velcro straps to help hold the leather emplace, I started stitching the wheel.

A few days and a few band aid on my fingers it stitched together great and I think it looks awesome!
Thanks!
Pat
post #58 of 857 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 01:51 AM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Color: Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: Replica
Pat,
Congratulations on a job well-done. Tony Nancy would be proud!
post #59 of 857 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 10:22 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4507
Garage
Very nice Pat.....Well done......You do detail work......

Frank T
2001 DHG #4507 Bullitt-former owner
1968 Mustang Coupe-Gulfstream Aqua(sold)
1990 Mustang LX 5.0 7-up convertible
Tri-County Mustangs
Camarillo, CA

post #60 of 857 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 11:43 AM

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 03130
Garage
With that kind of attention to detail have you every thought of recovering Seats. I am sure alot of us with the 01 Bullitts are in need of some interior work, and your work there looks flawless. What I am saying is excellent work there, this is going to be one amazing Bullitt Replica....

Bullitt 3130 has a few modifications mostly suspension and braking work for the fun twisty roads. and an teenage(15) female Mechanic who wants to track her car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode