My son's future Bullitt - Page 8 - IMBOC
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 857 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 68
Bullitt Color: Black
Bullitt Serialized Number: 9999
When we removed the pedal assembly from the car we noted an earlier repair that needed a better fix!

With the pedals removed you can see the wear on the clutch pedal shaft and a older repair to the mount.

The Dremel worked great cutting the old repair & original bushing off

Using a Scott Drake master roller bearing repair kit we welded in two large washers. We used the brake pedal and a spare shaft for aligning the new roller bearing. And we welded the ware spot on the shaft as well.

Here is a photo of the original bushing and the new roller bearing

With all the parts cleaned & repainted we started by using hot glue to hold the column bolts on as we did on the other column mounts.

Note the wave washer goes on the bearing 1st

With a little grease on the roller bearing and new plastic bushing in the brake pedal assembly the clutch pedal shaft slides in and is held in with a snap ring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 857 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 12:50 AM
Banned

Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 5224
First Class,all Thu Way.take Care Pat,un Kurt

post #108 of 857 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 07:27 AM

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 02992
Simply amazing to see the amount of work you guys are putting into this project. If you're going to do it, do it right...and you guys are!

Thanks for taking the time to post and share with all of us! You're going to have one awesome Mustang when it's finished!

Chuck - 2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt - SOLD 5/11/13.

post #109 of 857 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 12:59 PM

Mega BullittHead

This is what you can do with the right amount of skill, knowledge, time, and resources. Bravo to you and your son, excelent work! You are the envy of many people!

Brian '90 ex-FHP LX '01 #5253- SOLD (BUT IF YOU SPOT IT, LET ME KNOW, I'D LIKE IT BACK
post #110 of 857 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 09:49 AM

BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4113
this is awesome...wish me and my grandpa could do something like this again....i miss it everyday

2008 Highland Green Bullitt #4113 (95% STOCK) (Eibachs)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #111 of 857 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Next week on the 15th of April will mark 1 year that Kurt has owned his Mustang and 6 months ago that we started the restoration. The gentleman that Kurt bought his Mustang from gave us a file with all the past repair orders and receipt from 3 other owners. The oldest receipt is dated September 18, 1985 and it was from Hall’s Auto Service in Richmond VA, 3 owners before Kurt. For $1,557.28 they removed the motor, rebuilt it by boring it .030, polishing the crank, and a valve job along with a few other things. The mileage on the invoice was 69,079 and today it shows 85,973 only 16,894 miles from 1985 to 2011 (26 years) that’s inline with other receipt with mileage in the 1990’s.

The owner’s name and phone number was on the invoice so I called, hoping it was still in-service and left a message. Two hours later the past owner called back and was delighted to talk about his old Mustang! He was the 2nd owner and bought it from a dealer in 1970 (only two years old) He owned it for 17 years selling it two years after having the motor rebuilt. I asked if the 69,079 on the invoice was the total mileage and he said it was actually 169,079 trouble free miles. I also asked if he had any paper work or old pictures of the car back in the day and he said he would dig up what ever he had and send it to us.

It was great talking with him and learning more about the cars history. But I think he got a bigger kick out of talking about his old Mustang and hearing how it is my son’s car and that we are restoring it from the ground up! I also gave him a link to the thread so he could check it out! Cool guy! Sounded like he was in his 70’s and I hope he finds a few pictures!
Thanks!
Pat
post #112 of 857 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: No Bullitt
Bullitt Color: Former Owner
Bullitt Serialized Number: 3949
Thumbs up Fantastic project!

Hi Pat,

I just discovered this thread.

But WOW... what a fantastic father / son project!

Thanks for taking the time to share it all in such detail.

Kurt is a very lucky young man!

Steve

[/SIGPIC]No Bullitt at this time. But I bought an 08 in May of 2008, sold it to benefit the Boys Republic School in 2012, bought another 08 (used) after selling my first one, and (sadly) sold that Bullitt in April 2016 when my life circumstances changed and I moved back to NYC.
One of my favorite pictures from being on Route 66 is below.
post #113 of 857 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 12:27 AM

Bullitt Year: No Bullitt
Bullitt Color: Former Owner
Bullitt Serialized Number: 3949
Thumbs up learning how generous people can be

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepat
The muscle car community both in the real world and on line is awesome! I have met/communicated with many car people over the years with my other car projects. My 68 Dodge Charger was a great collaboration throughout the build with other people both on line, at car shows and swap meets. And my 72 Pontiac T/A was the same; everyone was generous with their time, information, and spare parts. And now with my son’s Bullitt replica we are experiencing the same goodwill. Today I received a pair of early 68 rear side marker indents from another mustang owner (Aolshove THANK YOU!) I also had other members offer to help with the same parts! A lot of my car friends are loyal to only one brand of automobile, and a few call me a car whore (haha) because I will buy & restore any car no mater what brand. But if there is one thing I have learned whether it be a GM, Ford, or Mopar, cool cars bring out the best in all of us! It’s nice having my son see how generous people can be!
Thanks!
Pat
What a GREAT lesson you son is learning... especially in this dog-eat-dog world.

Thanks for helping him have this experience.

I think people are naturally generous in their hearts. They have to be taught not to want to share. (Just my 2 cents)

Steve

[/SIGPIC]No Bullitt at this time. But I bought an 08 in May of 2008, sold it to benefit the Boys Republic School in 2012, bought another 08 (used) after selling my first one, and (sadly) sold that Bullitt in April 2016 when my life circumstances changed and I moved back to NYC.
One of my favorite pictures from being on Route 66 is below.
post #114 of 857 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepat
Below is a list of safety upgrade that Kurt and I are planning to make to his Mustang. If you have any suggestions or additions please post.
Thanks
Pat

1. Install headrest on front seats
2. 3 point retractable seat belts
3. New ididit collapsible steering column
4. 4 wheel power disc brakes
5. Fuel tank armor or fuel cell
6. Upgraded suspension
7. 17” wheels and 245/45 tires
8. Power rack & pinion
9. LED Sequential taillights
10. Center brake light
11. Fire extinguisher
12. New glass
13. Brighter headlights

Just discovered this thread...apologies if I'm posting this too soon. Suggest fuel tank armor instead of the fuel cell. At historic races here, a local favorite's early 911S kept slowing...couldn't figure out why. Later, in the pits, we witnessed his mechanic removing globs of crud from the fuel cell. It's innards had degraded over time & with unleaded racing gas. Fuel cells have a lifespan, evidently. With all the sweating of details you are doing, you want this car to last, right???

Last edited by pwd72s; 04-04-2011 at 12:59 AM.
post #115 of 857 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

With the front floor out we took advantage of the leg room and sanded & prepped the firewall and under the dash for paint.

It’s great how the door hinge backing plates are removable on the mustang. This allowed us to POR-15 that part of the door jamb that is inaccessible on most cars. We plan on painting the firewall & under dash the color of steel as we painted the hinge backing plates. This looks have been unpainted when it was built.
Thanks!
Pat
post #116 of 857 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 04:38 PM

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Talking Increadible!!

You are a Most Outstanding Father!! You have a Most Outstanding Son!!
The build you two are doing needs to be placed into a book. The level of documentation you are doing is increadible. You can help so many people with the "how do's".
You guys are going to have an awsome car. Very Jealous!!

Tire's and Suspension:
My opinion, American Racing 15X7. They look right on the 68's. going with the 17's will be too much in the wheel well. You will be left with rubberbands for tires. 245's will not fit without doing some serious modifications.
I run 15x7 all the way around. 235x60's on the rear and 225x60's up front.
Mustang's Plus "Grab Track" suspension. 4 leaf rear and Shelby 620 coil's up front. (with the one inch pad to keep with origional ride hight up front). Front and rear sway bars and poly bushings. KYB gas shocks all the way around.
Under very hard breaking and turning (like in a canyon driving too fast!) I can rub the front tires just a tad. I drive my car like I stole it! It handles great. In my opinion. I have even auto crossed it.
I like to fill the wheel well with tire. I get alot of compliments with the stance I have. (Classic Muscle car)

Thanks for the post.
I can't wait to see whats next!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/img]
MIKE RHOADES 68'DHG 418 Stroker,Windsor Jr.Heads, Harland Sharp Roller rockers, Edlbrock Air-Gap Performer Intake, 750Holly HP.Double Pumper, AIR CLEANER SECURED WITH LOCTITE!! Full MSD Ignition, Griffen Alum. Radiator. Billet Alum. Underdrive Pullies, C-4 Auto, 2400 stall converter, GearVendor OverDrive. 9in.rear 3:50 gears with a Richmond Mini Spool. Feature car in Clarksons DVD. SITTING AT SEMA 2006
Check it Out!!
post #117 of 857 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 07:23 AM

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 03130
Garage
This is one of my favorite things to follow on this site the amount of detail is amazing. keep up the great work and please keep updating the progress. I feel following this threadd that we can all build on of these step by step. it would be a great tv show like gears or one of those.

Bullitt 3130 has a few modifications mostly suspension and braking work for the fun twisty roads. and an teenage(15) female Mechanic who wants to track her car.

post #118 of 857 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968medic
You are a Most Outstanding Father!! You have a Most Outstanding Son!!
The build you two are doing needs to be placed into a book. The level of documentation you are doing is increadible. You can help so many people with the "how do's".
You guys are going to have an awsome car. Very Jealous!!

Tire's and Suspension:
My opinion, American Racing 15X7. They look right on the 68's. going with the 17's will be too much in the wheel well. You will be left with rubberbands for tires. 245's will not fit without doing some serious modifications.
I run 15x7 all the way around. 235x60's on the rear and 225x60's up front.
Mustang's Plus "Grab Track" suspension. 4 leaf rear and Shelby 620 coil's up front. (with the one inch pad to keep with origional ride hight up front). Front and rear sway bars and poly bushings. KYB gas shocks all the way around.
Under very hard breaking and turning (like in a canyon driving too fast!) I can rub the front tires just a tad. I drive my car like I stole it! It handles great. In my opinion. I have even auto crossed it.
I like to fill the wheel well with tire. I get alot of compliments with the stance I have. (Classic Muscle car)

Thanks for the post.
I can't wait to see whats next!!
Thank You!

We hope in the end Kurtís car looks as nice as your 68. Thanks again!

Pat
post #119 of 857 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Today Kurt strip the paint from the dash & front windshield frame, and I rebuilt the door hinges

Paint striper & Scotch Brite pads made short work of the dash and windshield frame

The hinge pin bushings were cracked and worn and easy to remove with a hammer & drift

A small vise was all we needed to install the new bushings, note we used plastic in the jaws of the vise to protect the soft brass bushings

Thanks!
Pat
post #120 of 857 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 09:37 PM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Color: Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: Replica
Nice! BTW...where did you get the brass bushings? They look longer than those provided in those basic rebuild kits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode