post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 02:27 PM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: No Bullitt
Bullitt Serialized Number: 00000
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSO 64
Hi Rick,
I live in Aspendale - the other side of the bay to where Werribee is...and yes, the frosts are starting up - they have taken the leaves of my two frangipanis(plumeria in Hawaii) already.
My buddy in Werribee who is my automotive sensei is also named Rick - he's from Toronto and has settled here with an Australian girl. He drives a 70 Mach 1 triple black with the Clevo stroked out to 393...kinda stands out around the hood - whenever we go anywhere in that car it really turns heads, and all the local school kids love it...he's always happy to give em a chirp when he passes them.
He gets by on fixing people's mustangs - a lot of bad things get done to mustangs by people over here and since he worked in a shop back in Canada that just did all the cool muscle cars, his knowledge is pretty extensive. SO a lot of guys end up in his driveway by word of mouth, and he has plenty of great carfreak buddies in the hood, who all help each other out a lot without a second thought. For example, one friend Lee has taken my engine and transmission into his garage for storage, coz there's no room at Rick's garage now that mine is like totally disassembled and crammed into his single space, another buddy Andrew has my Torque Thrusts and tires stored...and his buddy Keith got his nephew to do the floorpan on mine...a great extended car family.

And Bob, yes I have been over Pat's thread with a finetooth comb, he and his son look to be the most complete two-man mustang rescue team many of us may ever see. I love how they go about it, and it certainly is inspirational to follow. And even though I am doing virtually the same thing and aiming at the same end result with a virtually identical car, it's just as exciting to me to follow progress on theirs. I think it is just great how people bring neglected and abandoned classics back from the brink of death and then put them on the road in order to remind all of us just how vibrant and artistic the automotive industry was in the 2oth century. We are all into these cars for so many reasons, but we would all agree that mustangs old and new will always be at the top of the heap in terms of style, fun and accessability, and of course the Bullitts from the sixties and noughties really grab people's hearts and smiles.
I totally agree, Well stated! Good luck with the restoration, I admire you guys.

"Beer is proof God Loves us and wants us to be Happy" ~ Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: Replica
Thanks Ron!
Meanwhile, making the most of some sunny weekends...

Let's just say my poor old fastback has had some spirited drivers at the helm over the years in New Orleans and Texas...time to heat n beat with the gas axe and hammers...

From looking like it had mounted a rock garden, at least now these members are a bit more respectable. A little more caressing and they will be fine.

The RHS cowl...toast

Looks better now...gotta hand it to young Rick and his overhead welding skills.

Meanwhile, with Rick weilding the gas axe in the background, I thought I'd show you all an Aussie Falcon - an XY from 1971. Brought to Rick for remedial restoration. I will get a pic of what he has done to the engine bay next weekend - a work of 351 Clevo art...

The decal which came on all genuine XY GTHO's - this one is a replica of course - the XY GTHOs were homologated for Bathurst racing - the 500 mile annual endurance race for touring cars over here and it is thought only 20 or so genuine originals are left, out of 200 built - being the fastest 4 door production car at the time, it didn't take a whole lot of effort to wrap your GT around a tree, or lamp post, or retaining wall...

Rick's other mustang - a nice 66 with a 289 and C4....really nice cruiser. Bit different to his 70 Mach 1 with the donk stroked out to 393 cubes...
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Scored a 68 GT 9 inch rear yesterday, 3.25:1 Traction Loc complete from drum to drum...normally over here you'd pay 2000 for centre and housing, but these crazy cats in the hills east of me wanted to offload it so they could buy some Dart heads - they're gonna drag their 68 so tubs and a shortened rear axle etc are on their agenda...I got it for 800...
Front coils are going in tomorrow, engine bay is painted, time to turn our attention to the brakelines and booster/master re-install...

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 06:41 PM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: TB
Bullitt Serialized Number: 04021
Let us see some pics...
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

BullittHead

So the springs went in today...compressed the old ones, wire-wheeled out both shocktowers, zinc primed the cleaned areas, then coated with black body deadener.
The red springs are GT one inch lowered, but it will be a while before we get to see the true ride height. I used these in my last car, a 69 fastback. and they were a great height so hopefully these will be similar. You can see spatters of primer overspray forward of the spring, which will of course disappear with the application of tewo more coats of satin black and body deadener.

The engine bay now has been repaired, primed and received one full coat of satin black. Two more coats and it will be onto fitting booster/master and all front brake lines. Then lower control arm replacement and re-fitting re-painted cross-members and re-fitting steering column.
Then we start on the engine re-fit. For us the deal is getting the car driveable and finished underneath so that we can then concentrate on panels and prepping for re-spray. Don't want to paint the car without an engine and then have to be fitting engine etc leaning all over fresh 2pac...
We are having a hell of a time locating original power steering components over here in Australia, so we're gonna worry about that some other time (not a biggie to fit later). Super stoked about picking up a complete 9 inch rear and axle, it actually still has the tag on the centre, with the magic 3L25 denoting 3.25:1 Traction Loc...
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 08:51 AM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: TB
Bullitt Serialized Number: 04021
Engine Bay looks great, you guys are doing a great job... the 67-68 fastback is by far my favorite mustang
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Thanks Daniel. The 67/8 is pretty much my favorite too...great exterior, with such a classy interior too. I loved owning a 69 fastback - they are definitely one of the toughest looking cars ever built, but the interior doesn't make you feel as deep in the sixties as the previous model does!
Work is trickling along for me on the car right now - my buddy has been busy on other projects and I have been busy paying bills - but the booster/master is in, the front brake lines run, and it's my turn this weekend to get on my back under the dash and re-fit the wiper motor and steering column stuff.
I scored an original 68 mustang 9 inch rear end complete off a guy in the hills an hour's drive from me a couple of weeks ago - 3.25:1 Traction Loc - still with the factory tag in place! SO that was a good buy at 800 bucks....just gotta get the centre checked and overhauled. The same gentleman just also sold me a complete power steering setup that has already been fully re-conditioned for 550, so it's good news week! It will be nice to be able to cruise power-assisted...We had tried bidding on a ram and draglink/powervalve on Australian ebay and missed out as it went to 360 bucks, so I called up the diff guy who had said to me if there was ever anything else I needed he might be able to help, and sure enough, he had the lot. And to get decent prices from this gentleman was a relief - the parts dealers over here would have put astronomical figures on such items.
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

BullittHead

A change of career has slowed progress on my machine...though finally me and my buddy found and built an engine, since the 302 that came in the car was not re-buildable. We found a 68 Mexican 302 block from a guy a couple of hours north from me. Got some good heads, tore em down and re-built them, pretty much stock, just ported and polished. Warm cam went into the Mex block, all new pistons and rings and bearings, had the block bored out to 30, finally got it bolted to the restored C-4 and back into the engine bay. Wiring is going in, doors are off to the local panel shop for rust repairs...9 inch is waiting in the garage with a disk brake kit beside it...photos to follow...
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Color: DHG
Great story and a good basis for a replica. Will you have to convert to right hand drive?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Former Bullitt owner. Still hang out here because of the folks and stories.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Dennis no need to convert to RHD - laws in my state allow LHD vehicles to remain LHD if over 25 years old. This is my 5th mustang and all have been left original lefthand drive. Makes for a more interesting drive every time I hit the road.

I recently scored a nice set of original Torq Thrusts from AR. They're probably late 60's/early 70's from Terry of AKH in Spokane, WA. He'd restored them and done a nice rim polish on all of them...I could not resist the set - 2 x 15x7 for the front and 2 x 15x8.5 for the rear. Gonna fit T/A's to them next weekend and do the test-fit on all 4 corners. I will need to paint the spokes black...but man they are great looking rims...
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 07:05 PM

BullittHead

Just hard to go through McDonalds, that's all !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
There is no substitute for horsepower !
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by frednolan
Just hard to go through McDonalds, that's all !
LOL Good one Fred...having never taken any of my ponies thru a drive-thru this has floored me! Never once considered this...
Did once get pulled over at 3am in the middle of the city whilst driving my 69 Mach 1...I got out to meet the copper who'd pulled us, and he went straight to the right hand side of the car and proceeded to ask my passenger for his driver's license...to which my buddy replied," Sir I feel it is within my rights to refuse you your request"...
"Don't be a smart-arse, show me your license!"
"Since I am not in control of the vehicle sir, I am under no obligation to show you my license."
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Banned

Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 5224
Drew,ye Sure Got Uh Winner There.keep Us Up To Date.

post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Well here's the set of TT's from Terry Rowe at AKH in Spokane. I resprayed the centers this morning with a potbelly stove black...I used it because it self-primes, so I figured it would bite nicely over Terry's silver finish that he had put on each wheel.
They seem to have come up pretty good...

Next mission is the soda-blaster for all the off-panels - while they're getting done I will clean up the back end of the car and fit the 9" rear axle with the disk brake setup.
Then I'll be able to fit the new fuel tank and driveshaft and lines and fire it up. When the shell is self-propelling I'll take that to the soda-blaster guy, and then it will be off to a good friend's brother's paint shop. Unlike the great father and son team Pat and Kurt, I have neither the booth, the skill or the guts to do the paint myself!
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

BullittHead

These wheels are just too much trouble - flaring the rear guards is not an option - so they're on the chopping block. I ended up going the sensible route - bought a set of AR TTO's 15x7's with 225 50 15 rubber - slightly lower profile than the novie cars I know, but I really liked this setup on my 67 S code I had a few years back.
Finally got onto the rear of my car last weekend - took two days to figure out what brutal method to use against the seized original eye bolts in the front of the leaf springs...grinder to cut spring off just close enough to the eye, then more grinding to cut the eye of the spring off of the bushing, then a box cutter to remove the rubber, then an air chisel to shock the inner sleeve off of the bolt...various patches to be done under the back third of the car, and probably a new tail panel too, along with the lower support panel needing to be replaced. But the new rear should be rolling under it next weekend, complete with a really nice disk brake kit. Nothing like a 3.25 LSD 9 inch rear - actually salvaged from a 68 J Code GT fastback - the center didn't need any work - all tolerances were good, and there was no uneven wear on the gear at all.

Last edited by DSO 64; 10-15-2013 at 06:51 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode