Bullitt Replica or Keep Original? - IMBOC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: Replica
Bullitt Replica or Keep Original?

Hello fellow Bullitt and Mustang lovers!

I am new to the forum but not new to mustangs! I used to have a 92 Fox 5.0 convertible and now I'm a proud owner of a 68 Fastback 289. It is a dream come true to finally own a 68 fastback. My desire for it came after watching the movie Bullitt, of course! I always assumed that whenever I had the 68, I would turn it into a bullitt replica. But now I find myself with a good problem. Either to make a bullitt replica or keep it an original 68 Gulfstream Aqua Fastback. As you can see it is in pretty good shape to begin with. I didn't like the color in the beginning but it has grown on me. I don't see very much aqua mustangs around but I'm sure bullitt replicas are rare also.

My plan for this car is to enjoy it for a few decades then most likely sell it and donate the money to charity organizations. Do you guys think keeping it in somewhat original condition will increase the value or will a bullitt replica be just as valuable?

I'm trying to decide if I should keep it as is, or to make it into a bullitt replica.

Thanks for your opinions guys. I've always enjoyed reading this forum.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome message there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 05:45 AM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox&Fastback View Post
Hello fellow Bullitt and Mustang lovers!

I am new to the forum but not new to mustangs! I used to have a 92 Fox 5.0 convertible and now I'm a proud owner of a 68 Fastback 289. It is a dream come true to finally own a 68 fastback. My desire for it came after watching the movie Bullitt, of course! I always assumed that whenever I had the 68, I would turn it into a bullitt replica. But now I find myself with a good problem. Either to make a bullitt replica or keep it an original 68 Gulfstream Aqua Fastback. As you can see it is in pretty good shape to begin with. I didn't like the color in the beginning but it has grown on me. I don't see very much aqua mustangs around but I'm sure bullitt replicas are rare also.

My plan for this car is to enjoy it for a few decades then most likely sell it and donate the money to charity organizations. Do you guys think keeping it in somewhat original condition will increase the value or will a bullitt replica be just as valuable?

I'm trying to decide if I should keep it as is, or to make it into a bullitt replica.

Thanks for your opinions guys. I've always enjoyed reading this forum.

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome message there.

It's your car, money and time, do what you would like. That being said, I don't ever recall seeing that color, plus, as you said, the car is in decent shape. Keeping it as is has merit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'01 Bullitt 4003 - Dark Highland Green & '19 Bullitt K0013 - Dark Highland Green
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 07:05 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

If it's original, well it's only that way once.

Former Bullitt owner. Still hang out here because of the folks and stories.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 08:03 AM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 01251
Decisions-Decisions! Good Luck with your final decision. Either way it's a win win situation with the Gulfstream Aqua color or Highland Green!
And Welcome to IMBOC from Kentucky

DHG # 01251-130,000+ miles -ACCEL COP's-LED 3rd Brake Light-Web Electric Sequential Turn Signals-Magnaflow Magnapack Catback Exhaust-Koni STR.T Struts and Shocks-KYB Axle Damper Shocks-Bullitt Center Caps from On in 60-JLT RAI DHG -Chin Spoiler -Mach 1 Grille Delete-FarmerDons Custom Mesh Grille Insert

USAF 70-74
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 08:09 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: TB
Bullitt Serialized Number: 02058
We are rather biased here, and before I saw the photo of your 68 I would have said "Bullitt Replica". But that "Gulfstream Aqua" paint really catches the eye.

As the owner of an all original True Blue Bullitt I appreciate originality.

So I would keep the original paint code and improve (modernize) the brakes and suspension and freshen up the original powertrain.

In the end it's your car, enjoy it and don't worry about what it wil be worth in 20 years.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 09:41 AM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 01152
Garage
I'd be inclined to keep it original all the way, it being so gorgeous, with a couple of exceptions. Brakes and steering. Definitely upgrade those puppies.

Oh, I love the aqua. In the day I didn't care for it, but it is now one of my favorites...talk about growing on me!

My name is David J. Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me that. You can call me David. Or you can call me David J. Or you can call me David Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me David J. Midgley....
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 09:47 AM

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 02451
Jrem
Welcome to IMBOC! Love the colour.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 10:48 AM

GONE TO PLAID!

Bullitt Serialized Number: 01994
Garage
if it is needing body or paint work, I would say change , if it doesn't = leave original

mark...

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 11:42 AM

Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 1107
Garage
A very wise person said "it's only that way once". I'm leaning to keeping it as it is if it's numbers matching etc., etc.

Tim
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Bullitt Serialized Number: Replica
Hello guys!

Thank you for all of your responses. Everyone made a valid point. The more I look at it, the more I like the Aqua.. As of right now I will just do the minor things to keep it running well. brakes, suspension, etc..

I hope you guys do not mind the company of non-bullitt fastback in your forum. After all it was the movie that started it all for me.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 01:47 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 01152
Garage
Makes no difference to me. After all, the movie car was basically just a warmed over and modded stock 390 GT.

It could have been aqua if that's what Ford gave Solar Production company back in the day. Beyond that, I don't even want to contemplate where that could lead for the cars we have now.

Okay, I will contemplate it: Imagine, an aqua New Edge Mustang GT with special bits and warmed over engine!

My name is David J. Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me that. You can call me David. Or you can call me David J. Or you can call me David Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me David J. Midgley....
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 01:48 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 03817
Garage
Great looking '68! I'd say leave it as is. That color is really sharp.

Perry -
Sequential Tail Lights, Smoked GT Fog Lights, H&R 25 mm Wheel Spacers, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Retro Rings Chrome Gauge Rings, C&L TrueFlow Inlet Pipe, Tuneable Induction Cold Air Intake, Hypertech Power Programmer III
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 03:34 PM
Friend of IMBOC

Bullitt Color: TB
Bullitt Serialized Number: 3230
I'm liking that aqua.

But what floats your boat is what counts.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 05:41 PM

Bullitt Color: True Black
Bullitt Serialized Number: 04742
I dig the aqua. If no major body work is needed? Leave it be. Like all else have been saying, just upgrade and retro fit a few item for reliability and cruise on. In the end though it is your Mustang and you are the one driving and gazing at it.
And I don't think many will mind a non-Bullitt Mustang here. There are several on the site and nobody seems to care. Heck, there is even a gent building a modded up Bullitt Charger tribute.

a.k.a. Hoosier Daddy a.k.a. Eco-Bullitt, Save Water

I'm sorry you find my normal behavior inappropriate.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 08:36 PM

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0253
Garage
You should talk to Frank (Pronkie1). He has a '68 Gulfstream Aqua Coupe.

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode