• 4 Post By Steve68Cougar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 05037
Garage
How Many ACTUAL Highland Green 1968 GT 390 Fastbacks?

I know there were 42k fastbacks built in '68, a google search told me that there are 2,537 S-Code engines out there, but does anyone know how many '68 Fastbacks GT390 in factory highland green were built? I know it's a needle in a haystack, but that would be an amazing piece of history to have a VIN ready Bullitt....and not have to pay $3.4 million for it!

#200566 '68 / #5037 '01 / #6191 '09 / #5191 '19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 09:13 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01152
Garage
I believe you can count on at least 2.

Really, there were several in HG. But I'd certainly say that while green was more popular then, than now, it's wasn't many with the 390 4bbl. I'd almost be willing to bet that all the similar cars have been snatched up and restored to perfection. As for non-390 cars in HG, there were gobs of 302 GTs. To say how many would be purely a SWAG.

My name is David J. Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me that. You can call me David. Or you can call me David J. Or you can call me David Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me David J. Midgley....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 11:40 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4492
I did a little Marti Report searching and one car showed the following:

317,423 1968 Mustangs
42,582 were fastbacks, of them
6016 came with 390-4V engines
3708 of those had 4-speed manual transmissions
581 of them were painted Highland Green...

It went on to further narrow things, but that particular car didn't say anything about being a GT (early 68 production wasn't automatically a GT with the S-code). It was an Elite Marti Report, so it was narrowing things down and eventually came up that the particular car was a 1 of 1.

Interesting note, I read somewhere (vintage Mustang site) that there an additional 405 cars that fit into the fastback, S-code 390 and 4-speed category, but they were sent off to Shelby and converted to 428s.

Edit - I never got a picture of the Elite Marti Report for Sean's car. It may have the breakdown such that it includes only GT equipped cars with the same body, paint, engine and transmission. It will be less than the 581 that includes the early non-GT cars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 Bullitt DHG #4492
'68 Cougar 289/4-speed

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 02:12 PM

You Broke the Server!

Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 03549
Garage
On the movie car marti report it says
5488 paint code
4113 390 4spd
355 paint trim code
12,087 gt

Konis,Eibach sportlines,MM caster camber plates,MM X adjustable lower control arms,MGW Shifter,Alum driveshaft,Mac Prochamber,Mach chin spoiler,19" Forged wheels with BFG 255/295
Best 1/4mile Vortech V1 [email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode