8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0130
MGW Shifter

I've been a victim of Ford's missed shift syndrome due to Mustang's crappy factory shifter and linkage on numerous occasions. Well, the Christmas bills are paid and my loving wife said go ahead and order the MGW shifter to put an end to this problem. So, I ordered it and as MGW promised, it showed up in less than a week. I took this thing out of the box and for $270 this thing is beautifully manufactured and assembled. MADE IN THE USA!!!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA! NOT CHINESE GARBAGE!!!! Instead of Ford's crappy yoke with a rubber bushing that forms a mushy sling at the rear of their shift unit, MGW has a gorgeous machined block of high quality alloy to bolt the rear of the unit solidly to the car. Every bit of this thing looks like it was built with love and care. By comparison, the stock ford shifter looks like a broken stick glued to a coat hanger. The MGW even comes with Dynamat to minimize sound transmission!

I won't have time to install the unit until a few weeks from now, but in the meantime I may put the MGW on my coffee table and smoke cigars while I admire this piece of art. For now, I'd like to hear from the IBOC members who have installed MGW units. How do you like the results after install? Any tips to make the install easier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 11:45 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0253
Garage
I put a Hurst in mine so I can't speak to the MGW, though I know Got Oatz loves his. As far as install, you'll make things a ton easier by putting it on a lift and dropping the tranny an inch or two.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 12:52 PM

You Broke the Server!

Bullitt Serialized Number: 5623
Love the MGW. Installed mine myself 5 years ago, I was 65 at the time, used a floor jack in my garage and was pretty straight forward. Basic mechanical know how and two hours total time and have enjoyed it ever since

Visit the New
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and the New

Johnny Lightening 93 Octane tune, Detroit Rocker Cams, Long Tube Headers, Green air filter, Radiator close out panels, Engine dress up kit. Sequential taillights, Black wrinkle cam covers, MGW shifter.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 01:30 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 0827
Guess I'm a victim too!!! Well beginning to see the light...maybe it wasn't me, never missed a shift in my life. Driven every thing from 18 wheelers to Vw's. A missed 2-3 shift cost me a S..tload of cash!!! Been hearing real good things about this MGW shifter ill probably drift that way also.

Mr. Chitownson I just now figured who you are...your no stranger to my journey. The DHG0130 gave you away HA!
...talk to you soon.
Hope all is well, all is well here, no major progress but moving forward!!!
TrueBlue02058 likes this.

B A Bullitt aka Joe:
'08 DHG 0827
Chula Vista,CA
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 03:40 PM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: TB
Bullitt Serialized Number: 02058
I put an MGW in mine last summer. What a Difference. Best Shifter on the Market !
JUST 1BULLITT likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

Bad Ass Bullitt - once installed you'll be the first I hand the keys to to try the MGW!!!

(P.S. check your phone's text messages....)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 07:30 PM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: TB
Bullitt Serialized Number: 02058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Ass Bullitt View Post
Guess I'm a victim too!!! Well beginning to see the light...maybe it wasn't me, never missed a shift in my life. Driven every thing from 18 wheelers to Vw's. A missed 2-3 shift cost me a S..tload of cash!!! Been hearing real good things about this MGW shifter ill probably drift that way also.

Mr. Chitownson I just now figured who you are...your no stranger to my journey. The DHG0130 gave you away HA!
...talk to you soon.
Hope all is well, all is well here, no major progress but moving forward!!!
Missing a shift cost me the Engine in 02058 in 2016. Burnt a Piston, and it all was over.

Had I put the MGW in a few years ago, I'd still have Original Engine in Car.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

Yep- the Ford factory shifter is a P.O.S. - I realize these cars are built to a price point but if Toyota can put a good shifter in a cheap Corolla, why couldn't Ford put a decent one in the Mustang?
TrueBlue02058 likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:32 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
On my Bucket list.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:03 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 0827
Of course be there Saturday morning...as you are there for me always!!! Thank You!

B A Bullitt aka Joe:
'08 DHG 0827
Chula Vista,CA
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 11:09 AM

Super BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 5546
I installed an MGW on '01 Bullitt# 2164 and was the BEST purchase I made for that car.

Really nice ,short and positive throws- perfect for open track or street driving.

After hearing some not too enthusiastic comments on the Hurst unit , I'll probable get the MGW for '08 #5546.

Sure like the appearance of the Hurst , though.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 12:09 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 5386
I've had a MGW in the bullitt for about 5 years now and no regrets. Took care of the 2-3 missed shift issue. Unfortunately, I have the older version. With the new version, you can order a flat stick for the shift lever for that old school look. I asked and it's not available for the older shifter. Been thinking about having one made. That aside and taking into account the buzz about the white shift knob on the new '19, I pulled the trigger on this...

Picked this up from Speed Dawg, https://www.speeddawg.com. Not cheap, but I liked this better than the offerings from AM. What I like was the light grey pattern over white and not the black over white. This arrived in just a few days and they take paypal. If you have the old MGW like I do, the thread pattern is m12x1.25. This came with the correct adapters and instructions for correct mounting. It's a nice size at 2-1/8", but for me, it could be a bit bigger. Got to say, these guys have a great selection of shift knobs to choose from.
JUST 1BULLITT and Aceblade like this.

Rodney, 5386. Mods: Brembo front brakes, Raxiom rear LED lights, Raxiom infotainment center, AM AMR wheels, Tokico D-Specs, Eibach sways, Detroit Torsen true track diff, Vogtland/Ford FRPP springs, CS front bumper, AutoMeter gauge pod, VDO gauges and some other stuff...

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 07:36 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4492
I've had an MGW in mine for a few years. I've actually missed more shifts with the MGW than when it was stock. Once I learned to push the shifter forward with an open palm my success went way up. I was used to guiding it into 3rd with the stock shifter, so it took a bit to relearn. I don't remember anything particularly difficult about installing the MGW. I ended up using the more solid mount and didn't bother with the Dynamat, although it was nice of them to send it along. I set the throw pretty close to stock, as it gets notchier the shorter the throw is set. I know others that like the shorter throw. Good luck!

'08 Bullitt DHG #4492
'68 Cougar 289/4-speed
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 01:55 AM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4370
I have had the MGW for about 4 years of 5 driving BLLTT. Sold the OEM shifter for scrap. Wanted a replica of the MGW to mount above the fireplace, beautiful.
Set the MGW at 3 turns, notch'y at first but smoothed out. Love the centering on the road course track, where 2,3,4 down and up shifts are critical. Might now reset to 4 turns.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

Ok so I installed the MGW shifter last week. Bad Ass Bullitt was over helping me out. The install was not very hard, we just followed MGW's on-line video for the most part. It's nice to have an extra pair of hands so when the console's out, someone in the car can put the shifter down through the hole in the floor and hold it up while you're under the car, lineing up all the bolts and torqueing things down. Two or three hours of work at most including jackstands, clean up, etc.

I have the adjustable shifter throw setting about mid-range and it's notchier than factory, but within five minutes I was used to it. The MGW is light years ahead of the factory unit for precision shifts and I love the fact the shifter self-centers on neutral when you take it out of gear - I haven't come close to missing a gear since.

One thing of note: I was running the fabled "secret sauce" in the trans with the Lucas fluid mixed in that I read about on the internet. The secret sauce had not been in the trans more than 4,000 miles. Was not impressed with it. I had time on my hands today, so I changed the fluid back to the factory Motorcraft Mercon V. The transmission shifts much better, requiring less force on the shifter. It just "snicks" into gear now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode