LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 3337
Garage
Another Update:
I finally got around to installing the Ford Performance rear lower control arms today. It turned out to be an easier install than I expected - much easier than the shifter install. AM has a great step by step installation guide:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-...t-install.html
I think it took me 1 1/2 hours from start to finish.

I was not really expecting a significant difference in normal driving with the control arm upgrade but was pleasantly surprised by the noticeable improvements....

1) My car had been making an annoying squeaking/squealing noise every time I pulled away in 1st gear and when shifting into 2nd. I had my mechanic check it out and he thought it was a small amount of play in the rear driveshaft CV joint (nothing to worry about he assured me). It must have been caused by the old brittle bushings in my old control arms, because the noise is now GONE

2) Pulling away from a stop in 1st gear even at very low speeds is now much more direct (for lack of a better term) I now realize that there was a noticeable amount of shunting or movement of the suspension/axle previously that made pulling away slowly and smoothly in traffic or doing a hill start slightly annoying - these issues are now GONE

3) The rear suspension feels slightly firmer. I drove a road I take frequently that has a series of large speed bumps. I can now drive slightly faster over the speed bumps without bottoming out the suspension. I also noticed that there is a slight increase in oversteer when applying throttle in a hard corner (don't worry, nothing bad happened - I just noticed a slight increase in rotation on throttle application).

4) Axle Hop.. the main reason I upgraded... I was enjoying the other improvements so much (1-3 above) I forgot to even check this. However I'm pretty sure there is going to be some benefit.

That's it for now
Cheers
JERIC and bullit4404 like this.

Last edited by Bullitt 3337; 07-22-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:47 AM

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 5008
Thanks for providing the updates 3337 and for everyone else who chimed in. It's helped me make a decision on my next mods. I love this community!
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:34 AM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 19
I have to install the Steeda IRS Brackets and bushings set... will install their lowering springs as well to go with my 20inch Wheels n tires!! I live 15 min from Blaine border and have a ship to address there... saves me tons of money!!!

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-m...-555-5754.html

When our actions align with our passions wonderful things begin to happen !

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:23 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo Doo View Post
I have to install the Steeda IRS Brackets and bushings set... will install their lowering springs as well to go with my 20inch Wheels n tires!! I live 15 min from Blaine border and have a ship to address there... saves me tons of money!!!

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-m...-555-5754.html
Ric, just wanted to point out that his is an 08/09 discussion. No problem with you input. Actually, I highly encourage anyone's input but I just wanted to point is out in case you were looking for a response.

Thanks for posting.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:25 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 19
Ooooops...my bad, sorry EH !! lol

When our actions align with our passions wonderful things begin to happen !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode