11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0130
Bilstein shocks?

Someone had a pair of takeoff Bilstein B6 24-122245 shocks online. This got me thinking about the rough ride and wheel hop the rear end of my 08 Bullitt has with my Tokico rear shocks and Roush springs. I'm not looking to break the bank with LCA mods and watts linkage, etc. but wouldn't mind spending for a premium pair of shocks. Anyone have experience with the Bilsteins? Would like to hear from anyone who's tried them on the S197 Mustangs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 10:15 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Do you know what the spring rate is? eg. 175 Lb/in ? Bilstein may be able to match you up with the springs( not sure of the part # you list). They will not improve the ride per se but should help to control the wheel hop. Adjustable shocks are the best solution and you can get them from Amazon at a good price. The Tokico rear adjustable part # is DE3753(I believe). Ford racing also sells an adjustable matched to their springs.
Just checked, $54.36 US ea for adjustable rear Tokicos on Amazon. Good luck on whatever choice you make.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Last edited by bullit4404; 08-02-2018 at 10:26 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 10:32 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4492
What else have you done to the rear suspension? It sounds like your lower control arms are probably still the stock ones. You may never get rid of the wheel hop if you don't change them because of the compliance in the rubber bushings. You don't have to buy expensive ones, just something that has stiffer bushings than the stock ones. I've changed just about everything out on my rear differential and the LCAs are what got rid of the wheel hop. I've got the Ford Racing version of the Tokico adjustable shocks on mine and have been happy with them. Don't know how the Bilsteins are relative to them, but most people like them pretty well. I'd be concerned that you spent money replacing good shocks with other good shocks and still have the wheel hop. One other thing to note - the first thing I replaced on my suspension was the upper control arm and it did no good for controlling wheel hop (wasn't necessarily expecting it to). Until you start getting serious about other suspension upgrades the upper control doesn't really do that much good.
bullit4404 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 Bullitt DHG #4492
'68 Cougar 289/4-speed

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 11:18 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
I think Steve has a good point, the FR lower street upgrade control arms part# M-5538A do a good job. Your bushings are probably pretty floppy by now. I think a set of FP LCA's is around $200. The shocks are probably due as well.

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:53 AM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4643
Yep, shocks won't change your wheel hop. Upper and lower control arm and/or bushing upgrades are the way to go. Did your Roush springs lower the car? Are your lower control arms angles upwards? If so, you may only need relocation brackets to even out your lower control arms. You want them parallel or pointing slightly down. That can make a difference. Though I would also upgrade the lower control arms at the same time.

I have bilsteins with steeda ultralite springs. It is the best combination I've found for a performance and comfort compromise. Just depends what you're wanting from the car. I've had steeda sport springs, hyperco springs, steeda shocks and koni adjustables. My current setup is the best for my non-racing desires.

"There is no such thing as the big sky, little bullet theory."
08 HG 4643

08 Power Wheels Bullitt Clone

Former owner-01 DHG #1339

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

Well at this point, I'm thinking Bilstien rear shocks and new LCA bushings. I'm having trouble finding just rear LCA bushings online. I'm finding the entire LCA replacements/upgrades online, upper control arm bushings, front lower control arm bushings but not just rear lower control arm bushings. Am I just using wrong terms to identify them or?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 01:13 AM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4643
No, it is pretty hard to find upgraded bushings for the lower control arms because it is generally a better upgrade (cost, performance and time) to just do the entire arm. The stamped steel arms aren't very rigid. The bushings aren't really made to be removed.
bullit4404 likes this.

"There is no such thing as the big sky, little bullet theory."
08 HG 4643

08 Power Wheels Bullitt Clone

Former owner-01 DHG #1339

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 06:47 AM
Charles

GONE TO PLAID!

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: Multiple Bullitts
Bullitt Serialized Number: 00736
^^^^ what he said. Waste of time to change bushing on OEM.

Try the shocks. If that doesn’t work for you, then add a good set of LCA’s
bullit4404 likes this.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 07:48 PM

BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 3337
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownson View Post
Well at this point, I'm thinking Bilstien rear shocks and new LCA bushings. I'm having trouble finding just rear LCA bushings online. I'm finding the entire LCA replacements/upgrades online, upper control arm bushings, front lower control arm bushings but not just rear lower control arm bushings. Am I just using wrong terms to identify them or?
I recently replaced the entire LCAs with the Ford Performance version, but I noticed the metal arms appear identical to the stock arms. I think the only difference is the bushings.

Prothane LCA bushings:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/prothane...-2010/p/CAB50/

Ford Performance bushings:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-rac...302r/p/M5638A/
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 11:46 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 1PP05
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt 3337 View Post
I recently replaced the entire LCAs with the Ford Performance version, but I noticed the metal arms appear identical to the stock arms. I think the only difference is the bushings.

Prothane LCA bushings:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/prothane...-2010/p/CAB50/

Ford Performance bushings:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-rac...302r/p/M5638A/
The Ford Performance M-5638-A bushings are for the M-5649-R1 Tubular LCA and won't fit the stock LCA.

I've used the Ford Performance M-5538-A LCA that you installed and I've been happy with them.
bullit4404 likes this.

2008 Mustang Bullitt 1PP05 HG
2008 Shelby GT500 Vapor/Black
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 09:52 AM

BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 3337
Garage
Thanks for the clarification BullittII. Do the Prothane bushings fit the stock LCAs?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 11:24 AM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 1PP05
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt 3337 View Post
Thanks for the clarification BullittII. Do the Prothane bushings fit the stock LCAs?
I've never used the Prothane bushings but the description sounds like they're intended for the stock LCA.

2008 Mustang Bullitt 1PP05 HG
2008 Shelby GT500 Vapor/Black
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Mega BullittHead

OK,you guys made too much sense so I tried to serve two masters - wallet and your advice. I ordered the Bilstein B6 rear shocks and then ordered a pair of budget UMI 1034-B performance lower control arms with poly bushings and grease fittings - $99 with free shipping online with no CA tax (screw CA). I figured these LCA's would work for a daily driver and since made in the USA would be a better quality than imported crap (Screw China).

I'll let you know if this budget experiment works.
bullit4404 likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 11:16 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4492
Good luck with your purchases! I bet it'll take care of your issues. One thing to expect is a little more differential noise than what you have now. It shouldn't be a major difference, but the stiffness of the polyurethane bushings in the LCAs don't dampen the vibration and noise from the differential as much.
bullit4404 likes this.

'08 Bullitt DHG #4492
'68 Cougar 289/4-speed
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 04:19 PM
Car Whisperer

Bullitt Year: No Bullitt
Bullitt Color: Black Cobra
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6840
www.shockwarehouse.com

Coupons Expire August 15th, 2018

Save $7 on orders over $100 or More Use Code MIDAUG7
Save $12 on orders of $200 or More Use Code MIDAUG12
Save $16 on orders of $300 or More Use Code MIDAUG16
Save $22 on orders of $400 or More Use Code MIDAUG22
Save $41 on orders over $600 Use Code MIDAUG41

bullit4404 likes this.

1996 SVT Cobra
was Frankenstang Bullitt #4923

Two defining forces died for you. Jesus Christ died for your soul. The American Soldier died for your freedom.

"It's a lot easier to pacify a country when it's citizens can't shoot back" Gray Anderson, Mayor, "Jericho"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode