Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Issues with #349 please anybody help

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  chuckytaylor1221 
#1 ·
Allright kids,

Any insight would be helpful as I am about to lose my mind and can't find a decent Mustang tech in the greater Boston area.

A month ago my dad broke the shift fork on my transmission and the car stuck in 3rd gear. My Bullitt is notorious for the infamous third gear grind when the tranny is cold. At first we thought it was the shifter itself so we put an MGW in. After that didn't work he pulled the tranny out, took it to his buddy who fixed the shift forks and we put in back in.

I drove it a couple hours home without any problems.

Heres where it gets weird. After being at my house for a few days I had it parked dangerously close on top of a puddle in my driveway. It's a very deep puddle that quite possibly was touching the tranny, O2 sensor...etc. I don't remember exactly if it was before or after this but I also pulled the battery terminal off to readjust the MGW shifter throw underneath the car.

A day or so later my lady and I went out to eat at night. When I turned the car on, the check engine light came on. On the way home a fellow motorist informed me that while driving my reverse lights were staying on, even if my lights were turned off. I also got under and tried unplugging the reverse light switch and the reverse lights still stayed on.

Sometimes I turn the car on, and the reverse lights come on, sometimes they don't. I also checked the OBDII code and got Bank 1 sensor 2 which was the passenger side rear O2 sensor. I replaced that, reset the battery and the check engine light came off. I drove it around for a little bit, brought it home, turned it back off and then just for giggles turned it back on and the check engine light came back on.

I went back over to auto zone and they reread the code for me. Same code and the guy said the code had a "pending" status. He said usually when this code comes up once its cleared it rarely comes back on. I drove my car home, turned it off and then back on again, and sure enough the check engine light came back on.

last but not least, there is somewhat loss of power in all gears before 4,000 rpms...once I gas it above 4,000 rpms the car starts bucking.

Anybody have some guesses before I spend $1,000 on a dumbass Ford mechanic in Boston? ...

PM me too if you have any ideas.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I recently had the transmission in my Mazda 3 pulled out for some work. I was able to see how all the linkages worked. Since Mazda and Ford are closely linked, I think there might be some carry over in configuration.

In regard to the reverse gear, when that's engaged, it spins a shaft that has a detent that allows a spring loaded pin to move towards the detent and make an electrical connection for the reverse lights.

If your reverses lights are constantly on, there's 2 possible issues, the switch is shorted out or the reverse shaft in the tranny is not set up right. I would hope the switch is shorted, that would be the cheapest fix.

I don't see where the car "bucking" over 4k would be related to the tranny, that sounds like a timing issue. Maybe a cam or crank sensor is going bad. Just a guess....

#3 ·
Anybody have some guesses before I spend $1,000 on a dumbass Ford mechanic in Boston? ...
I'm not sure you really want another person to suggest what probably actually needs to be done at this point to resolve your multiple issues based on your above comment. :confused: :confused: :confused:

The answer is to take it to a Legit Ford Dealer and let them do their thing.

And it is probably going to possibly cost some dollars.

tigerhonaker

#4 ·
Tony, as Rodney and Terry have said, probably want to take it to the Ford dealer. Under the newer "rules" at the major dealers, if I am not mistaken, must follow strict manufacturers troubleshooting procedures. I agree about the bucking. That sounds like a problem with timing, fuel, problems. Possibly an intake/vacuum leak. All kinds of stuff. The OBD II codes can be triggered by lots of stuff. The dealer can pull the codes, go through the troubleshooting procedures, and hopefully fix your problem. I know it might cost some bucks, but they do need to be compensated for their troubleshooting time and equipment. Please keep us posted. BTW, have you ever downloaded an aftermarket tune? Changed intake components? Etc.?

#5 ·
Puddles occur when it rains. Since your car was on top of a puddle I'm guessing you park it outside in the rain. Our cars are well known for the SJB getting wet and freaking out, causing all sorts of seemingly unrelated electrical issues. The SJB (smart junction box) is located in the passenger footwell behind the kick panel. Feel around on the passenger floorboard for any presence of moisture. Pull the kick panel off and see if you see any signs of moisture (or staining from moisture).

#7 ·
I meant to hit everyone back up sooner but you know how it goes.

So yes Charles you were dead on! Somehow the wiring harness got pinched in the process of putting the transmission back in. I spoke to my father and again he's been working on cars for years so he was dumb founded.

For anyone in the MA area I took it to a shop in Leominister called ESP. http://www.enhancedstreetperformance.com

They do incredible work! I called a few Ford dealers in the Boston area but I was right in that out here not many people drive performance vehicles and so the majority of the techs around here don't "really know" Mustangs. One guys said straight up "I will follow the troubleshooting exactly as the computer tells me to" which could have cost me hundreds in labor costs alone. ESP knew the problem right away, re-soldered the affected wires in the harness and only a couple hundred bucks later I was good as new.

I still think the transmission needs a proper update and rebuild but nobody on the East Coast stocks parts for the 3650 and nobody works on them which is incredibly frustrating. I think this year is going to be a drivetrain overhaul. Anyone out there have their trannys rebuilt and updated?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.