LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 1373
Headlight crazing

Morning

One of my headlight lenses has developed crazing. I did a search of old topics and saw a cpl mentions.

Is this something Ford will address as a product flaw, or am I stuck with buying a new headlight unit?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 10:15 AM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4643
Garage
Unless there is a safety recall out that I am unaware of that addresses insufficient lighting then I would have to say that you are stuck buying a new one. Having worked at a lot of dealerships through out my life I can tell you that the issue would otherwise be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty which has long since expired. The other possible way to cover it is through "good will" which is authorized by the district rep for a given area of dealers. They have the discretion to cover things that are slightly out of warranty, but again you are way beyond that point. Extended warranties generally cover powertrain issues so that wouldn't be an avenue for you either. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 01:58 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
All part of Ford's plan...when you go to the dealership, you will be invited to upgrade to a 2015 GT...in 7-8 years it's headlights will craze, and then you will be invited to another upgrade.

Actually, there may be an aftermarket solution...somebody (I forget who) makes a "retro" headlight kit that eliminates the plastic covers...
bullit4404 likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 06:49 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4816
Garage
I'm located in Texas, my car faces east in the driveway and about 60% of the time without the car cover. In the last six or so months it had gotten a very slight case of the "hazed headlights". I've started to use Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish once every other month with a light coat of wax even though it's was not really needed after the first two times. Takes about 10 minutes to do both and they continue to look like new. I think the key for mine is that I caught it early.
FarmerDon and bullit4404 like this.

Last edited by Warlock; 04-17-2016 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Added other info
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 1373
Thanks, I've done similar work on our daily drivers, but the lights on the Bullitt are crazing - it's very tiny cracks in the plastic itself and short of replacing them, it doesn't appear you ca do much.

The best way to describe it is if you take a clear plastic spoon and flex it a bit, you'll start to see very tiny cracks inside the plastic - that's what it looks like
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:43 AM

Bullitt Year: 68
Bullitt Color: True Blue PX 8
Bullitt Serialized Number: 9999
Thank's guys for the recommendation ...

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome message there.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

Hell all, who visit my page. I'm introduce myself in two words. At the first: I'm a driver and distributor cars and details. Write me and I can recommend you cool car or part for auto at an affordable price.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:49 AM

Bullitt Year: 68
Bullitt Color: True Blue PX 8
Bullitt Serialized Number: 9999
Thank's guys for the recommendation ...

Hell all, who visit my page. I'm introduce myself in two words. At the first: I'm a driver and distributor cars and details. Write me and I can recommend you cool car or part for auto at an affordable price.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:54 PM

Garage
Pulling back this post from the "Phantom Zone". I posted a couple of years back that I thought I had my headlight crazing problem under control. Turns out I didn't, just slowed it down. Has anyone come up with a solution to this short of buying another set? I've done the sandpaper and polishing route a few times and I carry a can of WD 40 with me to apply after a carwash and it does a great 10 foot job, but I'm ready to be thru with this. I know other members have had sets up for sale, but finances have kept me from closing some great deals, but it may be time to bite the "Bullitt" and do one. BTW, I have the HID's.

John Wick's Not The Only One Who Loves His Mustang
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Warlock; 09-14-2018 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Added Info.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 10:42 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
You can look for some options here...IIRC, the "retro" lights eliminate the plastic cover...

https://www.americanmuscle.com/
bullit4404 likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 10:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
You can look for some options here...IIRC, the "retro" lights eliminate the plastic cover...

https://www.americanmuscle.com/
No bad, but not for HID's. Found a few used ones on e-bay that are not too bad. To be continued.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 11:20 AM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4012
Has anyone tried a headlight wrap for the plastic lenses ? Perhaps this could prevent some of the crazing.....
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 11:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jws2008 View Post
Has anyone tried a headlight wrap for the plastic lenses ? Perhaps this could prevent some of the crazing.....
Planning on just that. That can't hurt seems like....

BTW, bought a set of retro'd HID's off E-Bay. The housings are stock Ford HID and are stated to still be plug and play, but all I'm really after are the housings and they look pretty good in the photos. I know, I know, but they appear look better than mine, should be in next week sometime, and my daughter works for E-Bay and any seller would not want to get her mad. LOL!!!! To be continued....

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 08:33 PM

Garage
Update. Got the headlights in. I see why he had the word "Retro'd" in the text. Turns out he took a set of standard headlights and converted them over to HIDs and they look totally factory. He really didn't do a bad job and they were plug and play, but I decided to do a little work on them myself. Converted all the wiring to factory length to do away with the miles of wiring he had attached to the units and mounted the transformers to the housings per the factory units. They have some minor pitting due to 10K miles of use but are 99% better than the ones I had. For the investment involved (150 bucks plus shipping) I'm pretty happy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode