• 2 Post By VIC-TIM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
Exclamation Battery Acid

The last couple of time that I drove the Bullitt (it sits quite a bit) I noticed the radio "pre-sets" had changed like the battery had been disconnected. The computer readings (MPG, MPH, etc) were still there only the radio was reset. This past weekend, I decided to check it out and I found the battery terminals were green with corrosion under the rubber shields. Also the battery hold down bolt was corroded in half.

I removed the battery and used baking soda and water and cleaned up the area, including the frame under the battery tray where it had dripped down. Replaced the battery hold down and bolt. All looks new again.

Just a heads up. Next time you are under the hood (even to check the oil), pull back the rubber cover over the terminals to make sure they are still clean. Catch it early. Don't wait as long as I did.

PS, when I drove the car afterwards to allow the computer to relearn it's sittings, I was surprised how peppy the car became. Need to reset this every so often so the computer can reboot with the factory parameters. Makes a noticeable difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 03:19 PM
- 2009 Owner -

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6283
Excessive battery outgassing/leakage/corrosion could mean the battery is either being overcharged or it is going bad (a bad cell).
Might be good to have the battery and charging system tested.

I have also been surprised a couple of times when I lifted the positive terminal cover.

JackDW - 852 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 04:41 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Talking

Get a trickle charger/battery tender. When the cars sit a long time the battery gets low. Then when you run it, the alternator could be charging at up to 40 amps to replenish. This can overheat the alternator and shorten it's life, and when you high rate charge the battery it produces more hydrogen and acid vapour, which eats battery clamps. Also shortens the life of the battery. Put a little chassis grease on posts.
I have my trickle charger wired in to the battery and just pop the hood and plug it in. Best $25 you'll spend.
VIC-TIM and JackDW - 852 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 08:26 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
I would also suggest switching to an AGM (absorbed glass mat) technology battery. You'll greatly reduce corrosion events if you do so. Otima pioneered the technology, but others now use it.
JackDW - 852 and bullit4404 like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

PY-Like BullittHead

Thanks Paul. I was wondering if the AGM battery would produce the gases that cause the corrosion. Since they were not the typical "wet cell" battery, I expect they were not create as much.

Ron, I think you may be right. The original battery lasted 5 years. The current battery is going on 5 years old, so I guess I can expect to replace it before long. I will take a look at that in the spring as I start getting the car ready for Spring/Summer driving. Will be driven very little during the winter months. My consider putting in a AGM at that time.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 01:16 PM

Super BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 2101
I suggest to disconnect the negative terminal if the car sits for 2 weeks at a time. This is what I do for the Bullitt as well as my Fox and RV. I have never lost a battery this way.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

PY-Like BullittHead

Rob, just a little warning regarding the 08/09 Bullitt (or any Mustang from that period). If you look back to the reports where the CD players goes bad (including mine), in most instances it happened after the Battery was disconnected and reconnected. In the case of S197 Mustangs a battery tender may be a better option so you don't have to disconnect the battery and risk the CD players going "wonky". Seems you can do it over and over and then one time, the CD player will go on the fritz.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 02:23 PM
Car Whisperer

Bullitt Year: No Bullitt
Bullitt Color: No Bullitt
Bullitt Serialized Number: 9999
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullit4404 View Post
Get a trickle charger/battery tender. When the cars sit a long time the battery gets low. Then when you run it, the alternator could be charging at up to 40 amps to replenish. This can overheat the alternator and shorten it's life, and when you high rate charge the battery it produces more hydrogen and acid vapour, which eats battery clamps. Also shortens the life of the battery. Put a little chassis grease on posts.
I have my trickle charger wired in to the battery and just pop the hood and plug it in. Best $25 you'll spend.

after reading this, makes sense. I have a relatively new optima in mine and I think the new radio I have takes more juice when the car is off than the old one. I often go out after several days and the car is slow to start but then after a quick ride, it is ok again. it charges pretty quick....I have a smaller pulley on the alt due to the the udp on my crank which had slowed it quite a bit.

I just ordered a black and decker trickle that I can plug into the cig lighter rather than having to raise and close the hood every couple of day which I am sure my aftermarket hood would not like that much activity. this way I can just pull it out when time to go and then plug it in when I get home.

thanks for the info and suggestion!!!!
JackDW - 852 and bullit4404 like this.

was Frankenstang Bullitt #4923

Two defining forces died for you. Jesus Christ died for your soul. The American Soldier died for your freedom.

"It's a lot easier to pacify a country when it's citizens can't shoot back" Gray Anderson, Mayor, "Jericho"

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him had better take a closer look at the U.S. Native-American Indian."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode