• 1 Post By Dynomax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 1417
Battery Stabiliser Question

Just went to fit a battery stabiliser to my 2008 Bullitt. Rather than install a socket and hard wire it to the battery, I decided to use a universal plug and charge the battery via the “Power Outlet” socket located in the dash. I have checked that the socket is live with the key off (it is).

Here’s the situation:

Voltage at the battery = 12.44 volts
Voltage at the dash socket = 12.40 volts
Voltage at the battery stabiliser = 16.33 volts
I have continuity between the stabiliser plug and the dash socket.

The voltage at the battery with the stabiliser connected and on, is unchanged at 12.44 volts.

I have used 3 of these stabilisers before (including this one) and all worked great; I just never checked the output before.

Is there something in the S197 that prevents back feeding? Am I missing something? I recall that this stabiliser is voltage sensitive, so maybe it's already sensed a fully charged battery so is "dormant"? Like many S197's, this car will go flat after 3 weeks of inactivity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 10:13 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
As far as I know, it is a direct connection and power can flow either direction. But, I have been known to be wrong before (just ask my wife ).

Try hooking up directly to the battery, temporally, to see if you get the same results. If you do, then it is most likely working correctly.
bullit4404 likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 03:12 PM
- 2009 Owner -

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6283
I checked the Ford wiring schematics. The dash socket and the socket in the console are fed directly from the fusebox under the hood. They have separate fuses.

I keep the battery in my motorhome charged the same way you're attempting (through a dash socket). It has worked well for 2 years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Update. I've tried connecting the stabiliser directly to the battery with the stabiliser turned on and outputting 16.33 volts and the battery at 12.40. The Stabiliser instantly shuts down having sensed the battery's correct voltage level. I'm now quite confident everything is working correctly AND I'll be able to use the dash power socket as my input. I'm now carrying out the final proving test by taking daily digital battery readings (and am seeing the expected gradual and even reduction in voltage). Once I'm getting into the low voltage area, I'll connect the Stabiliser and take a reading before and after powering it up. Thanks for your help.
bullit4404 likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Hi Ron. Thanks for your input. See my update above.
RonReam likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode