Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Dyno after adding headers

14K views 38 replies 15 participants last post by  Lambo 
#1 ·
On 8/8 I had a set of Kooks long tube headers w/ X-pipe installed. I had previously done the Brenspeed 93 tune so the first run was with the tune and the second run after adding the headers. I don't know one dyno from another so to see what kind of dyno was used check out www.redline-motorsports.net/services. The final numbers were 324.4 torque and 308 HP.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice numbers.Kooks long tubes a real seat of the pants mod.Way to go.

#6 · (Edited)
is the ss stock?
With minor mods it dynoed at 317 rear wheel horsepower and 331 ft.lb. rear wheel torque:

* Hooker shorty headers
* Whisper cold air induction
* MAF modifications
* SLP quad-tip catback exhaust

The SS has a best 1/4 mile time of 13.07, but one of the headers cracked twice, so I put the stock exhaust manifolds back on. The Bullitt 'feels' almost as quick through 1st and 2nd gear, but 3rd gear is no contest. The mid-range torque on the LS1 is very strong, and in 3rd gear around 3,500 RPM's, it feels like a mini shot of NOS. The 98 SS is much lighter than the 2010 SS, and appears to have less drivetrain loss. The 2010 SS's don't appear to be any faster than the 1998's, when it's all said and done.

At any rate, I would bet that a set of equal length headers and a 4:10 rear axle ratio would make my SS and Bullitt nearly identical in 1/4 mile ET's...

#7 ·
This is a great time! We have to worry about beating SS like the good ole day's:) Ohh I forgot RT's also!

#8 ·
Thats the same crazy town where the C-130's have skis

#9 ·
GWB2740 said:
On 8/8 I had a set of Kooks long tube headers w/ X-pipe installed. I had previously done the Brenspeed 93 tune so the first run was with the tune and the second run after adding the headers. I don't know one dyno from another so to see what kind of dyno was used check out www.redline-motorsports.net/services. The final numbers were 324.4 torque and 308 HP.
Soo... You only have the kooks and the tuner?!?! and thats what you put down?
Is that a mustang, or a dyno jet dyno??? Im trying to gauge my numbers in comparision to your rig

#10 ·
Those are GREAT numbers, I have had other headers in my live. Kooks are the best fitting. I look under my bullitt and they fit so tight under the car you can hardly see them. My last set of headers I could see the collectors hanging under the front of the car.

#12 ·
You have a choice cat or not. I always do hiflow cats.

#13 ·
Gwb2740- wherrre are you!???

#15 ·
Just think, those headers will come into play with every mod that gets installed from this point on.
Headers give a little by themselves but when you add them to other mods. All I can say is WOW.

#16 ·
GWB2740 said:
wow are those the only mods done to the B.

#17 ·
first ford said:
Very nice numbers.Kooks long tubes a real seat of the pants mod.Way to go.
Rick, I know this is an old string, but I've been looking at getting headers from my 2009 Bullitt with the vortech v3 si Ho. Talked to Brenspeed today. They tell me that just a non catted h or x pipe doesn't do much and neither do the shorty headers. So I'm looking at long tubes which I'm told will add a good 20 rwhp. I know your blower is bigger than the v3, but I would really like your opinion on the pros and cons. Did they ad a real lot of noise? Any one else, I would appreciate your input as well. Thanks, guys.

#18 ·
nelsonbullitt said:
Rick, I know this is an old string, but I've been looking at getting headers from my 2009 Bullitt with the vortech v3 si Ho. Talked to Brenspeed today. They tell me that just a non catted h or x pipe doesn't do much and neither do the shorty headers. So I'm looking at long tubes which I'm told will add a good 20 rwhp. I know your blower is bigger than the v3, but I would really like your opinion on the pros and cons. Did they ad a real lot of noise? Any one else, I would appreciate your input as well. Thanks, guys.
Hi Bob,

Let me mention something to you.
LT (Long Tube) headers can be a {MAJOR-Pain} if you have to go through Fed. Emissions.
And I don't care what you are told just take my word for it that I know what I am saying as it is a "Fact".

Honestly if you are not going to Drag-Race your Bullitt, (Frequently) skip the Headers !!!

tigerhonaker

#19 ·
Terry, I REALLY appreciate your input. I was going back and forth on whether to do it or not. You just helped me decide.

I was thinking back to when I had the 1970 Roadrunner with headers on the 383. They leaked, were kinda noisy, etc. The absolute best header ever in opinion were those 427 ford cast iron ones. They exited where regular headers exited and were awesome sounding with my hand made H pipe and magnaflows. In the cabin you would never know that there were headers on the car. They go for like $1,500 a pair these days. Bought mine for $75 loooong ago. Boy did that car have torque. Long ago and far, far away. Thanks again.

#20 ·
nelsonbullitt said:
Terry, I REALLY appreciate your input. I was going back and forth on whether to do it or not. You just helped me decide.

I was thinking back to when I had the 1970 Roadrunner with headers on the 383. They leaked, were kinda noisy, etc. The absolute best header ever in opinion were those 427 ford cast iron ones. They exited where regular headers exited and were awesome sounding with my hand made H pipe and magnaflows. In the cabin you would never know that there were headers on the car. They go for like $1,500 a pair these days. Bought mine for $75 loooong ago. Boy did that car have torque. Long ago and far, far away. Thanks again.
Bob,

I always was in Serious Lust for a 426 Hemi Roadrunner !!!

I was in my very early 20's and right out of the Army from Viet-Nam.

Just did not have that sort of income back then.

Terry

#28 ·
The only draw back to having long tube headers is that you can't use the stock mid-pipe. I love my kooks headers and I like the performance benefits .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.