• 1 Post By FCMCBULLITT 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Super BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6071
Arrow k&n air filter tune

my all stock 25,000 mile car i just put a k&n in it. do i need to get this car on a dyno and tune it for the extra airflow or will the ecu adjust to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 01:25 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
I doubt it, since we already have a cold air intake stock. Which leads me to asking why the K&N??? I still use the stock filter.

(edit) I have read of over oiled K&N's making the throttle body dirty...would advise caution there.

Last edited by pwd72s; 02-15-2018 at 01:44 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 07:42 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01152
Garage
Your sensor will read any changes in airflow, and message the ECM. There is no increase in air flow, unless you don't oil it, which is dumb. If you don't oil it, it won't filter the air. If you do oil it, the air flow actually tends to be decreased.

A tune would be for some modifications from factory that present a radical change in engine dynamics and operational parameters. There are several thousand Mustangs running around quite nicely with nothing other than the factory tune and several if not multiple bolt on performance parts.

My name is David J. Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me that. You can call me David. Or you can call me David J. Or you can call me David Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me David J. Midgley....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 09:52 PM
Supporting Member

Really...despite advertising claims, I suspect you'd see zero or near zero power gains by going K&N, but you might find it allows more particulate through than the stock Ford performance filter...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 02:02 AM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Year: No Bullitt
Bullitt Color: No Bullitt
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0000
I've used K&N filters off and on over the years with no need for a tune in Ford or GM engines. There are lots of opinions and legitimate studies on the efficacy of K&N filters -- some favorable, some not. Interestingly, Ford Racing includes a K&N filter in their "Power Upgrade Package" for 2011-2014 Mustang GT's:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-FR1-MGTB
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 02:43 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4370
The changing to a KN or other reusable air filters do not need a tune. The air mass sensor in the intake tube "reads" the air flow just beyond the air filter, in the intake tube.
The air mass sensor reading is calibrated in the ECM for the diameter of the OEM intake tube and the diameter of the OEM throttle body. A tune is only needed if the diameter of the intake tube or throttle body is changed.
There is much debate on reusable air filters on their efficiency and oil effects. Most folks put too much oil on the reusable air filters, or neglect to clean them regular. I recommend a second filter, ready to go, cleaned and excess oil drained off.
Routine cleaning of the intake manifold-cylinder heads is necessary. Not so much from the oil from a reusable air filter but from the engine vapors (oil) recycled through the intake manifold, as the motor has a closed system with no PCV valve.
I use a JLT oil separator. On a 4.6 naturally aspirated, it is only needed on the driver's side, as the passenger side is the intake. It collects an ounce or so of oil vapors every 1-2 thousand miles. Depends on use of the go pedal, cause at a track day, an ounce in a day. That is oil that would have otherwise dirtied the intake manifold interior, the valves and spark plugs.
And for best underhood bling on a green Bullitt, a Green brand reusable air filter...
JackDW - 852 and pwd72s like this.

Last edited by tossass4370; 02-16-2018 at 02:53 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 12:14 PM
Supporting Member

Definitely in favor of the JLT oil separator...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Super BullittHead

Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6071
I have used K&N filters for many years and like the performance and the fact you can clean and re oil. never over oiled them and have never had any issues with mass airflow sensors at all. Hell most of my cars had carb"s LOL.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 04:48 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
No increase in HP with K&N. The throttle body can only take in so much air.
The oil separator is a good idea. Have built a few road course race Mustangs over the years and you'd be surprised how much oil precipitates in the separator. Otherwise it ends up in the manifold or on the backs of the intake valves, which can cause pre-ignition eventually. The carbon will glow like charcoal and flash the fuel. Also can cause rough idle, seen especially in newer direct injection engines. That's one of the reasons why a lot of new engines use port and direct injection. Double the pleasure double the fun...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 07:33 AM

Super BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 5546
These air filters create a little more power [ and I do mean a little ] but also create another condition.

More air= more dirt.

Found this out the hard way through an oil analyse .

A fix is using a great oil filter - like Amsoil eA.

As with all mods from stock - there are compromises...... and consequences.
pwd72s likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode