• 1 Post By chitownson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Lightbulb "Thems the Brakes"Part 2, Fluid Refill and Bleed

Brake Fluid: The enemies are moisture, heat and time. The fluid needs to be refreshed. Every 2 years minimum.
The Refill: I don't call it flushing, because you can never really replace all the fluid. Start by siphoning as much fluid from the Master Cylinder reservoir as possible, using a turkey baster or some other suction device. Leave at least a half inch of fluid over the intake ports. If you get air in the Mas Cyl then you'll have to bleed it separately. (not fun)
Once you have removed the old fluid, gently pour in fresh fluid from a new bottle, trying not to stir up the old stuff in the bottom. Fill to the full mark and set the reservoir cap on top to prevent any debris from entering.
The Bleed: There are many ways to bleed brakes, pressure, suction and the old fashioned tried and true method.
You need two people, a glass jar with at least a half inch of clean fluid in it, a clear plastic tube, and the proper wrench for the bleeder screws.
* Starting with the wheel furthest from the Mas Cyl, attach the hose to the bleeder screw, and hold the jar above the caliper with one hose end in the fluid. Get your partner in the car to hold the brake pedal down as if stopping, while you open the bleeder screw. Have them say "down" when the pedal goes to the floor. At the same time, close the bleeder screw. Repeat the procedure till the fluid is clear and free of bubbles. You may have to pump the brake pedal a few times in between pushes to get "good pedal." In between "pushes" tap the caliper lightly with a rubber mallet to encourage bubbles to the top. When done, check bleeder for tightness. Refill Mas Cyl after doing each wheel. Repeat procedure working from the furthest wheel from the Mas Cyl to the closest. When done pump the pedal, it should be high and firm. If not, start the engine and pump the pedal a few times to cycle the ABS pumps and valves and re-bleed. Top up fluid to full. Check for leaks by pushing the brake pedal hard and checking for fluid weeping. Snug up bleeders if weeping. Check you brake fluid frequently especially if pedal feels spongy or brake light comes on! Any leaks from calipers or hoses require professional attention. Next Part 3, Rotors.
jim253 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Forgot to say, dispose of old fluid as hazardous waste in a suitable container. Thought you'd figure that out on your own.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 10:35 PM
Car Whisperer

Bullitt Year: No Bullitt
Bullitt Color: No Bullitt
Bullitt Serialized Number: 9999
on the new edge and back, you have to bleed the master cylinder...do you have to do that on the 197's?

was Frankenstang Bullitt #4923

Two defining forces died for you. Jesus Christ died for your soul. The American Soldier died for your freedom.

"It's a lot easier to pacify a country when it's citizens can't shoot back" Gray Anderson, Mayor, "Jericho"

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him had better take a closer look at the U.S. Native-American Indian."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

I've never had an issue unless air gets in the master or accumulator. That's why I stressed, don't drain the master all the way down.
As long as the fluid stream is continuous upstream of the ABS pump and valves.... I just replaced all the brake hoses on my 08, fingers crossed. Some vehicles have bleeders on the master, but not ours.
If you do have to bleed the master, you can buy a little kit with two fittings and tubes. You disconnect the fittings at the master, substitute the little kit, flop the tubes into the master, fill with fluid, pump brakes and you'll see the bubbles see saw back and forth till the fluid runs solid. Then reconnect the brake lines back to the master. You may have to cycle the ABS by running the engine and pumping the brakes if there are bubbles in the ABS..
It gets really interesting later in I think 2012 when they integrated the DSC with the brakes. Then the brake modulators are tricky. I haven't worked on the bench since 2012. Ask me how to set dual points on a 67 Hemi, I'm all over it. But the new stuff you need scanners to trouble shoot everything.

That was a great question, by the way. If I was doing a complete brake job on a 01 Bullit (pads, rotors, calipers, hoses, I think I would change the master as well (17 years old) and just bench bleed it before installation. And hope the ABS was still OK.

Last edited by bullit4404; 03-06-2018 at 11:37 PM. Reason: addition
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 02:36 AM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
Hope I'm not jumping ahead of you. For my old Porsche brake bleeds or flushes, I used one of these. Now that I'm 74 and have health issues? I write a check..

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

They work fine Paul. The problem is having the correct fittings to fit your master cylinder properly and knowing how to use them.
I've worked on Porsches and they can be a strange animal. The early water cooled 911's had to be tipped up on their nose to bleed the cooling system. I love the old air cooled 912's and 911's.
For our 01 and 08 Bullits, the old bleeding method should work fine. So, I'm not including power or vacumn bleeding. K.I.S.S.

As I said before, if you don't get air in the master cyl. or ABS, manual bleeding should be fine. If you replace the ABS unit then a scan tool procedure is required. But, a power bleeder is nice to have.
pwd72s likes this.

Last edited by bullit4404; 03-07-2018 at 10:02 AM. Reason: addition
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 12:44 PM
Supporting Member

Far as I'm concerned, the Porsche Gods went to sleep beginning with the 1974 Model year...
bullit4404 likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

I had a 1960 356B and a 1977 911S. Wish I still had the 356. Nicest car to drive, you could actually feel the wheels turning through your hands on the wheel, and the tires biting the road. Sigh.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 01:36 PM
Supporting Member

It was a friend with a 1960 B who turned me on to Porsches. The early cars were as pure as driving could get. No "power" anything, and drive by wire was far into the future. Just a direct connection between driver and machine.
Guess one had to experience it to really understand...

(edit) going off topic, but here's a video that made me throw up in my mouth a bit..

Last edited by pwd72s; 03-07-2018 at 01:45 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Yes, an all electric Porsche is hard to swallow.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 08:41 PM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 0130
One thing I believe is that the brake fluid in our cars needs to be changed more frequently since it shares fluid with the clutch. I also make sure to use a synthetic brake fluid so it takes the punishment a little better. When I got the car, I did full bleeds a number of times until I had clear fluid.
bullit4404 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode