• 2 Post By pwd72s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Lightbulb The theory of unintended consequences

In our continuing series here at Bullit University, (Thanks Mike) this thread will be a preamble to the next few. In the Social Sciences; "Unintended Consequences are results that are not the ones intended by a purposeful action." The term was popularized in the twentieth century by American sociologist Robert Merton.
A classic example: "Honey do these slacks make me look fat?" Depending on how you answer the consequences may not be what you were hoping for. (By the way, the correct answer could be, "Honey I love you, and I have to go down to the garage and turn off the battery charger.")
Well, old Bob Merton must have been a car guy, because unintended consequences pretty much govern what happens when we "fix" or modify a car.
A few examples: Changing the water pump, but not the hoses and thermostat and then.... Installing new tires but not changing the valves on the wheels and then.... Changing one burned out headlamp bulb and then 2 weeks later...
Changing only one windshield wiper... Washing your car and then it rains for sure, no matter the forecast.
Anyway, you get the idea. Keep it in mind for the next few threads, or until the weather gets nice here.
If you've got any of your own UC's, hit me back, I"d love to hear them. Extra credit for humour. (Canadian spelling)
pwd72s, TrueBlue02058 and TB02413 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 12:53 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
Well, there the classic comment by a groom...

"All I wanted was to get laid. Somehow it snowballed..."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

re-post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

re-post for the west coast

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 12:25 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4370
BULLITT UNIVERSITY! Heck yes. Needs its own "Discussion Thread" listing.

The theory of unintended consequences of vehicle modification is not just a theory, but an absolute law, just like Newton's 3 laws of motion (which also impact vehicle modifications).

Simple- Need just more negative camber for track 275/35 tyres and road trip 255/45 vs OEM 235/50 specs. Balanced towards smooth road trip tracking.
Solution- Camber bolts that old-school mechanic is familiar with. Several trips back to alignment shop with now great balanced camber setting.

Here is my saga, as a track addict.
Upgrade '08 Bullitt front brakes. Go to Ford 14" 4 piston Brembo package. Compatible with OEM anti-lock system, great. Upgrade to wider FORD SVT 18"x 9.5" wide rim, giving more contact patch, great. Ford specs this rim for American Iron Racing, great. Will be running 275/35 ultra high summer performance tyres. Perfect for road course. Happy.

But the 08' Bullitt rims do not clear the Brembo package. I love the OEM Bullitt rims and need to run Bullitt rims for show and wife's roadtrip comfort with 255/45 tyres, so spacers needed. Get Ford Racing front hubs with ARP 3" studs already installed.

Research to find slide-on spacers, cause the track rim/tyre combo will be too wide for the wheel opening with fixed bolted-on spacers and my mechanic is dead set against track with spacers, even with ARP bolts. Research IMBOC and find that 7/8" slide-on spacers work with Bullitt rims and 14" Brembo. Research and find 1 small company in CA that makes quality slide-on Mustang spacer. Order 7/8" spacer, but nope on 1 side to get a minimal 3mm caliper-rim spoke clearance. Get 1 inch spacers, perfect for 3mm caliper/rim spoke clearance, but now outer 1/2 ounce (14 gram) wheel weights bind caliper outside edge.

So, now with Bullitt '08 rims, I have to watch as the tyre tech puts 1/4 ounce (7gm) rectangular weights, with the weight long side alongside the inner spoke line, to get 3+mm clearance. And insist that the high and low tyre/rim marks are aligned. Dam insurance regs about being in the service bay. It is my ride and I do tip the tech.
bullit4404 likes this.

Last edited by tossass4370; 03-15-2018 at 12:48 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Great post Tim. Don't forget Murphy's Law,"Everything that can go wrong, will go wrong." A personal favourite.
I went through the same thing with an 2011 Coyote I built for someone who tracked. Installed 14" Brembos, street wheels wouldn't clear. ARP hubs, 1" spacers for the street, BBS 18" 9.5 for the track, with 275/40/18 Nittos, worked awesome. No clearance problems but big bucks. The BBS wheels were custom offset for Boss 302 racing cars $600+each.(Ford Performance, no longer available) Nice, only weighed 20 lbs. Oh, and I had to change the master cylinder, too much pedal travel. Arrrrgh
As I always say, "It's all about the package."

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 10:30 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
The theory of unintended consequences

Used to build race engines for NASCAR CUP cars. Back in the days where there were independent drivers/owners. Never be able to keep up with the High Dollars boys but competitive within their own group. We were constantly making upgrades to gain a little more power and then a little more power until you exceed some weak point and break something. Upgrade with stronger (and more expensive) parts and repeat. Back in those days you didn't have the dynos to test parts you just kept upgrading until something broke.

At the time, when you came back with the engine in a basket, it was kind of disappointing but when I look back now, I realize we learned more for the failures then the successes.
DavidMidgley and bullit4404 like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Ya, we used to say when the engine gave up, "Well I guess those valve springs "timed out" after all." That wasn't so bad, it was when a connecting rod bearing would spin and put a window in the block. Very messy. "Well, I think the carburetor and air cleaner are still usable?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 02:14 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
The one thing leading to another syndrome. Been there done that just enough to make me decide to keep my Mustang stock. It might be boring, but it's reliable.
bullit4404 and jws2008 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode