Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Tire Pressure Sensor - Failure

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  MFifer 
#1 ·
While in California with the Legend Lives trip, we took a trip to the Pacific Ocean on Friday. While driving along the Tire Pressure Sensor Fault message lit up. Concerned, I pulled over and checked the tire pressure and all were good and matched. When I restarted the light was off. On the return trip back to the hotel the message came on again. At the Hotel, I checked pressures and all normal.

During the drive back cross country (to NC) the message showed up several time which I ignored and the message would go off in a 100 miles or so. Last time was in Arkansas and it has not came on again.

I had new tires installed the week before the trip and the dealership advised that since I was not having issue, not the bother with the sensor. In hind site, I should have had the sensor replaced. May have cost a few additional dollars but would have saved a few gray hairs. Not good to get that message while driving on the California freeways, especially since I didn't know the roads.

Now this trip is over, I have had the car serviced and air bags replaced, most likely it will go back into the garage until spring. May drive it a little around the holidays but I am not going to worry about the TPM sensor until spring when we start planning next year's events.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
When/if the sensors go bad on my car I plan on dumping the band sensors and going to the valve stem type. Maybe it would be wise to do so when buying my next tire set?

I recall an American Muscle video on how it's done...

(edit) Now they upgraded the video to cars newer than ours. You'll need the sensors and the programming tool. Figure $200 for parts and tool. I hope printed instructions are given on how to program. Anyway, the link:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/tpms-fullkit-2007-sensors.html

#3 ·
Thanks Paul for the information on the valve stem TPM sensors. Since the old ones were over 10 years old, I should have listened to myself and just had them replaced when replacing the tires. Hopefully others can learn from my mistake. If you still have the original sensors on your wheels, time to replace next time you get new tires.

#4 ·
Jack
When the batteries get weak the sensors will start throwing codes. They are rated for 10 years max. Paul is right, go to valve type.
Make sure they remove the old band and sensors. If one of those bands comes loose it will tear up a tire. The message is stored. Clear all your codes before installing new sensors.

#5 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.