To buy or not to buy! - IMBOC
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

To buy or not to buy!

Hello all! I'm Linda, 64 come December & newbie on this site. Would totally appreciate everyone's opinions.

Brief history: Husband is sole owner of an '01 Highland Green registered here. He totaled it about 3 years ago. I said do not let them take it, get it fixed bec I knew he used to love the car. It has 157K miles on it & he has really been hard on it!

Now after almost 3 years of occasional looking, I'm considering one for myself, not for the selfish husband. I'm also finally considering divorce after 43 together, 41 married, but separated the last 2. I found another Highland about 4 hours north of me 10/3. The owner did not know the production #. Thanks to a thread here, I found 800-FORD-SVT, talked to a very helpful gentleman who gave me the production # that is not registered here!

Ford guy said he would not consider it bec, even with extremely low mileage of a bit more than 5K, the original paint is marred by a new small dent & shiny scratch to left of trunk lid, crack in rubber around windshield, 3 rusted screws on gas cover, 2 10" long fine scratches next to driver's door & 1 old surface rust stone bruise. Photos available if desired. It is far closer than any of the others I have found &, with the current '19 Bullitt interest, most of the other the asking prices are higher.

Should I wait a little longer? Seller said firm on price, but considering suggesting he subtract insurance price for left of trunk dent & scratch. What is a fair market value with these small issues & low mileage? Or, should I just snap it up?

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome message there.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 04:18 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Linda
I'll be honest with you. I'd take the Ford guy's advice. There are nice cars around, be patient and you'll find what you are looking for.
It can be difficult to make decisions when you are under personal stress. Good luck.
pwd72s likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Hi bullitt4404,

Wow! Never thought I'd get an answer that quick! Really appreciate your opinion. I thought I was being too much of a perfectionist about the "little issues". About how much do you estimate that dent next to the trunk lid would cost to repair? Have not heard back from the gentleman that totally put my husband's back together as to what he thinks $ wise.

Suppose you guessed, it is at a very rural small car dealership, who admitted knowing nothing about Bullitts, hence no production #. My almost 94 Dad went with me but still felt a bit of the "sweetie handling", if you know what I mean.

You guys are the experts. Then again, these small issues are not like my husband's that was completely totaled, * skirmish alert - creased full length down driver's side. If the price is reasonable, about $2.5K less than others & with so few of these out there, isn't it a shame to turn it down? By the boxed cover, I can tell the first of the 2 previous owners that had it for 16 yrs really loved & petted it.

Originally, I was looking for one with at least 35K to feel right about doing a Jay Leno & actually driving it. When I just missed one in Detroit with 2,580 I rethought maybe I would go to local drive-in rallies. I will eventually own Dad's '48 Jeepster that has provenance. Good place to meet nice people & possible a new friend, if you get my drift. I've never looked for that before but . . . who knows.
bullit4404 likes this.

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 05:10 PM
Car Whisperer

Bullitt Year: No Bullitt
Bullitt Color: No Bullitt
Bullitt Serialized Number: 9999
definitely wait. there are some on here from time to time that would be in much better condition.
FarmerDon and bullit4404 like this.

was Frankenstang Bullitt #4923

Two defining forces died for you. Jesus Christ died for your soul. The American Soldier died for your freedom.

"It's a lot easier to pacify a country when it's citizens can't shoot back" Gray Anderson, Mayor, "Jericho"

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him had better take a closer look at the U.S. Native-American Indian."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Hi Serpent!

Maybe I should have said it is a very small dimple, about nickel-sized with a small scratch . . . of course I does not show in their 25 photo slideshow, unless you already know it is there. For your records, it is #2524 originally from New Jersey.

Thanks to both of you & for the sincere opinions. Both of you could read between the lines that I was sour-graping it bec it was closer than all the others. If I am investing in something I already love, I need to find one that is really nice, not patched up. Wish I'd gotten #4139 instead of my husband.
bullit4404 likes this.
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 06:01 PM
Car Whisperer

yep,, got the message.... I would steer clear of any rust belt cars if you can. if you find the right one and have to travel to get it...so much the better....road trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bullit4404 likes this.

Two defining forces died for you. Jesus Christ died for your soul. The American Soldier died for your freedom.

"It's a lot easier to pacify a country when it's citizens can't shoot back" Gray Anderson, Mayor, "Jericho"

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him had better take a closer look at the U.S. Native-American Indian."

post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

OMG! How did you guess I'm in the rust belt?

My "little brother" 7 years younger has his Food F150 ready & waiting to go with a car trailer wherever we need to bec he also is single after the loss of my sister-in-law, his beloved wife. We both agree we need a road trip! SO glad I came here to post. Really appreciate your opinions. As said, thought I was being way too nit picky about the "little issues", as the dealer called them, but you have told me I'm not. I am in no hurry, waited this long, what's a bit more, after the '19 flash in the pan newness wears off. Noticed a 2017 listing on here for one for $19K in Cincy, my neighborhood. Everyone wished him well but offered him $8,600. $19K is the going online price now. By the way, please forgive me if you do not agree, but I am totally not into the Star Wars Storm Trooper Helmet style (as I call them) of the 3rd Bullitt tribute. At $46,900 starting, I also can not afford one with my situation. Best wishes to both of you! I will be watching, not a threat but a promise. When I finally find one will join full member.
bullit4404 likes this.
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 07:05 PM
Car Whisperer

keep us posted. if you locate one in another area, most likely:
1. someone on here will know the car
2. based on the registry on here we can find out stuff about the car
3. someone in the area might even go look at it for you.

bunch of good people on here, why I have stuck around after having to sell my bullitt.
bullit4404 likes this.

post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Not sure how you guys talk on here but, so sorry you had to part with your baby! Wish you only the best wishes & joy in your current favorite ride. Thanks for the heads up on possible help. Very appreciated! I am in southern Ohio but willing to go wherever at this point. I have forgotten to say I want one that is TOTALLY STOCK. Yes, that narrows the field even more. Forgive me but that is what I want. The one I just found & asked you about is. About 2 months ago talked to a very nice young man half my age in NC that had put an under the front bumper extension, 18" wheels w/wider tires instead of the 17 standard on the Bullitt & different springs lowing it another 3/4" in addition to the 2" lower the Bullitt is than the standard. (Also recently handled the "coil & plug issue" on my husband's. See, I'm learning quickly.) He admitted I probably would not be interested bec it rode rougher. I found it was going to cost another $800. to put the original springs back & no, he did not have the original wheels. I am getting concerned about finding one that has not been "Tricked Out!" There were only 3,041 DHG '01s.

Last edited by Timeless; 10-04-2018 at 07:46 PM.
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 07:50 PM
Car Whisperer

thank you. life/family situation and finances dictated the release at that time. now my cobra fills the void.

post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 07:50 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01251
Hope you have checked Autotrader, Cargurus, Cars, even Ebaymotors for available 2001 and 2008 Bullitt. They are out there. Just takes patience and time to find a good car. I just stumbled on mine in 2009 while looking for a Mach1 or Cobra.
Happy Hunting
bullit4404 likes this.

DHG # 01251-130,000+ miles -ACCEL COP's-LED 3rd Brake Light-Web Electric Sequential Turn Signals-Magnaflow Magnapack Catback Exhaust-Koni STR.T Struts and Shocks-KYB Axle Damper Shocks-Bullitt Center Caps from On in 60-JLT RAI DHG -Chin Spoiler -Mach 1 Grille Delete-FarmerDons Custom Mesh Grille Insert

USAF 70-74
post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 07:56 PM
Car Whisperer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Ford-M...rbD g&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Ford-M...kwO g&vxp=mtr

there are two down here on craigs right now...both modified though.

check craigs around the rust free areas and anywhere you might like to take a trip to.
FarmerDon and bullit4404 like this.

post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 09:06 PM

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Color: Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6498
Timeless...
I just checked craigslist within 200 miles of Pittsburgh, PA....there's three 2001's for sale.

There's a Green 2009 in my area, Butler, PA at Butler County Ford for sale. It's #6475 I believe they are asking $19,995.

No guys....not my car....LOL!

ARMY TC
VIC-TIM and bullit4404 like this.

IT MUST BE THE GREEN!!!!
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 12:59 PM

GONE TO PLAID!

Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01994
Garage
what budget are you working with ?
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 02:07 PM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: TB
Bullitt Serialized Number: 05019
Not sure what the one was priced at that you were looking at. Obviously, a premium price better be in perfect condition regardless of miles. It can be had cheap enough, it might be ok. But I would not pay a high price for one that needs additional work. The very nice, low mileage, completely stock Bullitts are usually priced a little higher, as would be expected. These guys are right, they come up for sale occasionally. It is going to depend on your budget and what you really want. Welcome to the site, and good luck with your search!
pwd72s likes this.

TB Bullitt #5019

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode