22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 03103
Octane 87 or 91

Hello, I believe the owners manual says 2001 Bullitt is safe to run on 87. Does anyone with an un-tuned car have a history of running 87. How long have you been running on 87 or 91 and have you ever had any issues you believe to be octane related.

Do you ever run 87 or 91
Do you only run 91 if its hot or your at the track/Drag.
Is putting 91 in a stock bullitt not necessary

Obviously if your car is tuned for 91 you should run 91.

Any stories about octane.

I just spoke to a longtime mechanic specializing in ford and mustangs that was really surprised when I asked the question. He felt that you should not run 87 in a mustang. I thought that was a little bit of a strange response. In his defense he works in the performance world so naturally most things he touches would probably be tuned or rated for 91.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 08:29 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
If your '01 is made for 87, run 87. Buying higher octane won't hurt your car, but it won't add horsepower or give any greater mileage. In other words, unless you experience detonation (ping) problems, you're wasting $ with higher octane.

Our '08-'09 models (Bullitts only) were given a variable tune, one that actually add power as octane is increased. If I recall correctly, this was the first model Ford used a variable tune on. We were guinea pigs, so to speak.

(edit) I noticed you are in California...perhaps local knowledge is better. Last time I drove down there was in 2001, but the "gas" I bought sure didn't smell like gas. More like distilled cat urine.
JackDW - 852 and bullit4404 like this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

BullittHead

can you guys just post a quick reply with 87 or 91. I just want to get a feel of what octane you all are running. You could add stock or tuned.

I just bought the car and I'm running 91 because I don't know if the car was ever tuned but probably was not because its pretty stock.

example:

stock 91

stock 87

tuned 91

Thanks,

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

BullittHead

thanks for the reply pwd72s
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 09:39 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 3863
Garage
my $0.02...

I have been running 89 (Plus) in the car since I had engine knocks the first month or so. After that I haven't had any issue since and that was 18 years ago. I've only put Shell gas in the car.

89 or 91 would be fine. as far as 91 goes, depends if you want to spend the extra money.
bullit4404 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods: 275/40/17s & 315/35/17s GY Eagle F1 GS-D3's, billet Alum. hood scoop & grille, K&N Air filter, Motorcraft oil filter, MRT hood struts, shorty antenna, and MGW Ltd.,EJECT button
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:42 PM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: TB
Bullitt Serialized Number: 05019
Mine also had some pinging when it was stock, so I ran 91 in it. Now I am tuned and run 93.

TB Bullitt #5019
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 01:01 PM
Supporting Member

the question is really about the tune of 3103. Is it stock or aftermarket? If aftermarket, what octane was it tuned for?

There should be some kind of car guy code of honor that requires the keeping of a file containing all things done to the car. A log book. I do that, but few do...when a car leaves me, the file and log book pages get passed on.

(edit) Doing this and a couple of bucks will buy me a cup of coffee. However, it's not hard to do and gives me a clear conscience when I bid the car goodbye.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Interesting information about the pinging. thanks for the info guys.

anyone else fell free to drop in your experience's.

thanks much!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 08:16 AM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 5245
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by B03103 View Post
Hello, I believe the owners manual says 2001 Bullitt is safe to run on 87. Does anyone with an un-tuned car have a history of running 87. How long have you been running on 87 or 91 and have you ever had any issues you believe to be octane related.

Do you ever run 87 or 91
Do you only run 91 if its hot or your at the track/Drag.
Is putting 91 in a stock bullitt not necessary

Obviously if your car is tuned for 91 you should run 91.

Any stories about octane.

I just spoke to a longtime mechanic specializing in ford and mustangs that was really surprised when I asked the question. He felt that you should not run 87 in a mustang. I thought that was a little bit of a strange response. In his defense he works in the performance world so naturally most things he touches would probably be tuned or rated for 91.
I always ran 93 in mine, nothing else.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 01:47 PM
BEST BULLITT Nats 06

Bullitt Serialized Number: 00344
87 octane sure doesn't do my 69' any good. It's in getting it's original carburetor rebuilt right now and the mechanic said the older cars were not made for 87 and just don't do well over time.
pwd72s likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 05:20 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 01251
Bought my 01 in Dec 09 with 115,000 miles on it. Have no idea what gas was run in it with previous owner as I bought it off a used car lot. Have run 87 in it since Iíve owned it with no problems. 15,000 miles in almost 10 years. Yes itís a weekend fun car as my daily driver is a 3/4 ton pickup.

DHG # 01251-130,000+ miles -ACCEL COP's-LED 3rd Brake Light-Web Electric Sequential Turn Signals-Magnaflow Magnapack Catback Exhaust-Koni STR.T Struts and Shocks-KYB Axle Damper Shocks-Bullitt Center Caps from On in 60-JLT RAI DHG -Chin Spoiler -Mach 1 Grille Delete-FarmerDons Custom Mesh Grille Insert

USAF 70-74
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 06:23 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoStangWmn View Post
87 octane sure doesn't do my 69' any good. It's in getting it's original carburetor rebuilt right now and the mechanic said the older cars were not made for 87 and just don't do well over time.
Vicki, it not octane alone...it's gasohol! Nothing in an older car was built for it. Rotted fuel lines made with rubber designed for leaded gas, aluminum carbs corroded beyond repair because alcohol attracting water, and other problems. Only made worse in a car infrequently driven when the gasohol gets older.

Ask your mechanic...In Oregon, 91 octane no alcohol is available, but hard to find. It's what I run in my '09. Luckily for me, a station 12 miles away has it, and they are on my usual route to my favorite pool hall. Cost is around a buck a gallon more, but you will see your mileage jump by about 10%. Might be a place near you that sells it?

(edit) seems there is. Check here: https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp
TwoStangWmn and FarmerDon like this.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 10:40 PM

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 1PP05
Garage
Thanks for the link! There is a dealer 10 minutes away that has 92 octane with no alcohol.
TwoStangWmn likes this.

2008 Mustang Bullitt 1PP05 HG
2008 Shelby GT500 Vapor/Black
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:32 PM
BEST BULLITT Nats 06

Bullitt Serialized Number: 00344
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
Vicki, it not octane alone...it's gasohol! Nothing in an older car was built for it. Rotted fuel lines made with rubber designed for leaded gas, aluminum carbs corroded beyond repair because alcohol attracting water, and other problems. Only made worse in a car infrequently driven when the gasohol gets older.

Ask your mechanic...In Oregon, 91 octane no alcohol is available, but hard to find. It's what I run in my '09. Luckily for me, a station 12 miles away has it, and they are on my usual route to my favorite pool hall. Cost is around a buck a gallon more, but you will see your mileage jump by about 10%. Might be a place near you that sells it?

(edit) seems there is. Check here: https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp
I will check into that next spring when we bring her back out! Thanks Paul!

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:28 PM
Supporting Member

Vicki, especially for your infrequently driven '69 I would suggest 91 (or more) Octane NO ALCOHOL gas. It would also be a good thing to add an additive called Sta-bil to the tank when doing the winter storage thing. Sta-bil does what it says...keeps gas fresh longer.

When gasohol was forced upon us here in Oregon, a 10% blend, it caused some major problems in areas. Small engines, especially chainsaws, were being destroyed. Boaters were finding themselves stranded with engines seized because of the water being picked up by the hydroscopic alcohol. So, the legislature passed a law allowing clear (no alcohol 91 octane) gas to be sold. This was a benefit to those who had older collector cars as well. Older cars have problems with gasohol. Newer cars made with gasohol in mind use different materials designed to withstand the bad effects of alcohol...my '09 and Cindy's '16 Camry have no problem running on it since we drive both often enough to keep fresh gas in the tanks.

If I were going on a long freeway flog, I'd probably run alcohol gas in my '09, probably 87, since my variable tune could adapt. I'm pretty sure my first full tank was 87 octane gasohol, given by the dealership. MPG was horrible on that tank, a run over the coast range and back home...the power and MPG improved as I switched to 91 octane "clear premium" as it's called here.

here's a link to a video on Sta-bil:

FarmerDon likes this.

Last edited by pwd72s; 10-08-2019 at 03:52 PM. Reason: link

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode